RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 4 (977 views)
Shortcut

Yoga vs. Pilates
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have noticed that I have lost a lot of flexibilty since I started climbing and have decided to start doing either Yoga or Pilates. I have signed up for Yoga on Monday's and Pilates on Thursday's. I thought I would give them both a try. Wanted to get some opinions from other climbers about either one. Most climbers I know go on and on about Yoga. I've done it before, years ago, plan and starting from ground zero. But I have a couple of friends that do Pilates and the results I've seen on them are truely incredible.

Thanks!

katydid

Jun 6, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #2 of 4 (977 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga vs. Pilates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My left knee is buggered, so a lot of different kinds of yoga are out of the question for me because I can't do the poses. I'm about to try Ashstanga, however, as I understand that there's less knee-grinding kinds of movement involved.

That said, I'm a Pilates junkie and will endorse it to darn near anyone. If you've taken ballet, you'll understand Pilates in a heartbeat -- it's a lot like doing a barre without the impact. Don't know that it's done much for my flexibility, as I was pretty flexible before I started, but my core strength has improved a ton.

I'd say try 'em both and see which you like better. You might also want to post in the Technique and Training forum to get input from more people about the comparative benefits of both.

k.

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 4 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Katydid. I've never done Ballet. I have a friend who has been doing Ashtanga for about 10 years now. She told me two days ago that she would never do any other kind of Yoga. I will post in Techniques and Training as well. The core strength improvement of pilates is really appealing, I'm a weakling. I think I will do a sampler of it all and see what I like the best.

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katydid - So, I posted in the Techniques and Training Forum as well. Getting a lot of good info and some opinions that are giving me food for thought. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook