RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

ozclimber

Mar 14, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Im in Australia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gday peoples,
if you have any questions about climbing in australia ive been climbing here for over 10 years and have vast knowledge of most areas. Or if you need a partner im in brisbane and love to get out climbing as much as possible. drop me a line and ill get back to you.

dano

May 28, 2003, 8:24 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Re: Im in Australia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ozclimber - Some friends and I are headed for Sydney from Dec 26 - Jan 8 or so, with a side trip to NZ. Any recs for places I can daytrip to from Sydney? What's the weather likely to be? And how many days should I try to squeeze to get to Castle Hill? Are you near Sydney? We (only my girlfriend and I climb) would love to hook up - can boulder up to V4, sportclimb up to 10d on lead - can't climb crack for shi_.

- dan

prepscout

May 28, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dano/ozclimber...i'll be in oz from dec.18-jan14. i'd love to meet with any of you to boulder. i'll be splitting time between sydney,coff's harbour, melbourne, and hobart-tazmania. i've read some nice things about bouldering in and around sydney, as well as some nice spots near the grampians..the araps (i quess about 4-5 hours from melbourne). dano - it sounds like our levels of climbing are similar. i'm currently bouldering about v5ish, pretty consistantly. ozclimber, how about gyms? assuming it's going to be pretty hot, i figured it might be nice to climb indoors. i visited a website for 'hardrock' gyms. there are two around melbourne. ever heard of them? taz sounds beautiful, perhaps with some opportunities to climb on the beaches. anyway, any info would be great...pics too!

thanks.

muncher

May 28, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prepscout, the best climbing near Sydney has got to be the Blue Mountains. About two hours west of the city, the Blueys has got it all, well maybe not all but alot anyway. Heaps of sport climbs at your level at many different crags at any angle you prefer. Even in the middle of summer when you will likely be around, there are plenty of crags that stay cool and in the shade all day.

The bouldering around Sydney is good but you will have to chase the shade at that time of the year.

Nowra is another world class area just a few hours south of Sydney that has some of the easiest, hardest and some of the most amazing sport climbing in Australia. The only problem is that it sucks trying to climb there in summer. The humidity is way too high.

Your best bet would be the Blueys.

As for Victoria, well I hear Araps and the Gramps may be worth a visit.

pattyofuniture

Jun 10, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello Oz folk,
I am making my first trip down under in late october and will be there for about 6 weeks.starting in melbourne.then who knows,but I am just starting to do my research.
Arapiles is a must from what i hear,but i would love some beta on any smaller crags,favorite routes, best camping ect. any help would be great.
primarily looking for moderate trad, but would gladly clip sport too.
thanks

joemor

Jun 10, 2003, 7:57 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for melbourne/ victorian climbing and a forum for partners and info try

www.chockstone.org

joe

dmon

Jun 10, 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hey Muncher, are you really Australian? Araps "may be worth a visit"? Araps will change your life. It is awsome. There is no way you will leave there and think that it could possibly be overrated. If only it wasn't in Victoria...

As for bouldering in Sydney, there are many, many cool things to do. One especially cool plac in summer is the Palm Beach boulders that are right on the beach. If you get a bit hot just go for a swim. Nice.

Feel free to email me if you wanna hook up, I will be more than happy to give you a tour and maybe even drive you to some cool places.

Oh yeah, go to Araps.

www.climbing.com.au may give you some ideas, as may
www.australianbouldering.com and
www.sydneyclimbing.com

Peace.

ajkclay

Jun 10, 2003, 2:49 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Araps is THE SH*T! And oh yes it will change your life.

Some damn hard bouldering at Millenium Caves, Grampians, less than 1 hour from araps too. How hard? Try V14. Some great Klem loskot problems, and a V14 by a local Adelaide climber Sharik Walker.

Also some good boulder probs here in Adelaide at the Bachelor Pad. Some by Klem, some by sharik, also up to V14, big enough grade range to keep everyone happy.

seanpk

Jun 26, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone,
I'll also be in OZ around that time, I'm moving to the southern suburbs of sydney (cronulla) on the 28th of Dec. (arrive 30th) I'm not quite up to the ability of all of you probably around 5.8 -5.9 american grading system but would love to get together while you are in sydney. either let me know through here or give me a call afterthe new year in syd. phone - (02) 9544-3592. have a car and willing to drive to the blue mtns for the day.

teddy

Jul 27, 2003, 5:56 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, im kind of new to climbing and i know nothing about vic and not much of any climbing locations but from what ive heard.
In NSW, Nowra is a great place to go, and also Point Perpendicular in Jervis Bay. In Vic, Araps are probably the best in australia, gramps are pretty good too. In ACT (dont come here its pretty crap and very cold) you have Booroomba(sp?), Ginninderra falls, and a few others. There would be a lot more out there that i haven't heard of but thats just my part.

Also Melbourne has 4 gyms i think it is, 2 of the largest in the southern hemisphere, one with walls that are up to 20m and one with walls that are up to a massive 30ish metres (massive for a gym i mean). Sydney also has a few gyms (not sure how many) but a nice one that i was at the other day is "The Edge", its pretty small but it has decent sized walls and 3 caves (i think 2 were temporary though). In the ACT you have about 3 or 4, Canberra indoor rock climbing is probably the best, a great gym for bouldering.

matteo

Aug 14, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi peope,
If someone would like to climb with an Dolomites guy from Italy I'll be in OZ from October till Feb or March, travelling, working and climbing as much as I can. Planning to be in Arap-Gramp area in Noveber, after move to Tasmania from middle Dec and after I dont know yet! Looking for a partner to climb (max 5.10-6a-18).
Ciao
Matteo

theshu

Sep 6, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone is moving to or travelling through Sydney I'm more than happy to climb/boulder just about anytime. Just let me know a week or so before you are coming. See you soon Stu.

muncher

Sep 9, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bring this up again but I could not let this go

In reply to:

In reply to:
[
Hey Muncher, are you really Australian?

F#$K mate, did you ever think that maybe I was being sarcastic??????? It goes without saying that they are some of the best climbing areas in the world let alone Australia. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to get there myself but have plans to get down there eventually.

dmon, F#$king question my nationality again and I will come down there and rip your bloody arms off, just kidding but.........

Maybe I will see you around the boulders of Sydney.

Stay Casual

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook