RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

wallabe

May 3, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Climb ISU
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Are there ne "good" climbs close to ISU

Partner one900johnnyk

May 3, 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climb ISU [In reply to]
Report this Post

In reply to:
Are there ne "good" climbs close to ISU

trouble finding the regional discussions forum??

to answer your question you can check for yourself! routes database over to the left will give you climbs in each state, usually divvied up by region.

the_iowan

Jun 11, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

wallabe - close to ISU......well, that's all relative. if you are talking 15 minutes - no, 1 hr - no, 2 hrs - no, 3 hrs - maybe. no real rock close to the ames area, just an assortment of buildings and bridges to be had. this is not to say there isn't a climbing community at ISU - pm me it you want more info.

andy_lemon

Jun 11, 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I beleive the Hoosier is talking about Indiana State University not Iowa State University.

Closest and best places to climb that are 'close' to ISU... Southern Illinois & Red River Gorge.

sroehlk

Jun 12, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
wallabe - close to ISU......well, that's all relative. if you are talking 15 minutes - no, 1 hr - no, 2 hrs - no, 3 hrs - maybe. no real rock close to the ames area, just an assortment of buildings and bridges to be had. this is not to say there isn't a climbing community at ISU - pm me it you want more info.

I'm with ya the_iowan - first thing I thought when I saw ISU was Iowa State University. One of my sisters goes there with another on the way :D

redpoint73

Jun 12, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yeah, don't use acronyms like "ISU" when talking to people out of your home state! If you're from Illinois, that means Illinois State Univeristy. Same with "U of I". that can mean at least 3 different schools as well.

andy_lemon's got it right. Your best bets are Red River Gorge (Kentucky) and southern Illinois (Jackson Falls is especiallly tasty). Both will be a pretty good drive from Indiana. Within Indiana, you're pretty well screwed. "Rock 'n' Road" by Tim Toula (North American climbing atlas - a great resource) only shows a handful of small bouldering/toprope areas. Height is listed as 20 feet to "1 pitch". Quality is zero to two stars, on a five star scale. Refer to the lastest editon from Falcon Guides for details.

powers

Jun 12, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

check indiana route data base! there is some climbing in indiana. alot of it is not in toulas book. rrg and jfalls are great .but if you need a quick one day outing there is climbing in indiana. there are some good lines at hundostin area. soy diesel 5.9 80ft crack and mr petey goes to hollywood 5.12a 80ft sport climb. there enough routes there for a day trip.

jenx10_23

Jul 27, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm also an ISU student. It's safe to say there are few places to climb at all in IN much less good places. If you search online, you might here about some climbing in Shoals or Bloomington. Shoals has got some ok climbing. It's best for rappelling though since it's mostly loose sandstone. Nothing over 60 feet or so. You just have to know where to look. Ask a local. Hemlock cliffs is only good for rappelling too. It's only allowed on one section of the cliffs and the area is wet and mossy. Check out ISU's climbing gym. Sometimes one of the staff will know something or know someone to refer you to.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook