Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

mother_sheep

Jun 17, 2003, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Girly Girl or Tomboy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’m sitting here at work with neat clean hair, nice dress and shoes and a very small amount of makeup (lips and eyes only) yet I’m still a tomboy at heart. To someone who doesn’t know me, they might look at me and think quite the opposite. Yet to me, it’s the tomboy side of me that keeps me happy. That’s who I really am. I have crooked, deformed feet that were acquired from jamming my feet into my climbing shoes. I actually like the fact that my legs show bruises and scratches from my adventures over the last couple of weeks. I have dirt imbedded into the prints of my hands from my ropes and gear that I can’t seem to scrub out. And my fingernails and ingrown toenails . . .yuck! Could it be that women like us represent the best of both worlds, when we can feel “normal” in either situation? We’ve mastered the art of looking well kept yet we are ever so at home even after multiple days without a shower and happy to accumulate more dirt and muck all over our bodies. It feels like balance. Which side of you are you most comfortable with? The clean-cut, stereotypical woman or the grunting, sweating, camping, climbing chick that you are? For me the answer is obvious. I’m happier with the later. Having only met 1 other fem on this site, I was wondering where the consensus lies. Are you a girly girl, a girly tomboy or just a tomboy? I guess I’m also thinking about this because I’m so desperately longing for that next moment when I can be on the road again for days, all covered in muck without all this fru fru crap.

deleted
Deleted

Jun 17, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #2 of 111 (17992 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tracyyyyyy!!

from your photos you appear to be a very attractive girl who loves to climb and get dirty, but who also cleans up well. :D

you are what i describe as a "dirt-barbie" -- and THAT is a GOOD thing!

mother_sheep

Jun 17, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I guess since I'm ex Air Force, I'm also GI Barbie!!!! heee heee

Thanks Geo!

maculated

Jun 17, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #4 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirt Barbie. I like it. :)

mother_sheep

Jun 17, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #5 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a gay man in a woman's body......

8)

BURT BRONSON!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gretchino

Jun 17, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #6 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

8)

I absoluetly love this! I tend to want to lean more towards girly-girl, but I know I'm not. Oh well, as long as I'm having fun!

iamthewallress

Jun 17, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #7 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

8)

LOL! A lot of the gay guys that I know are are more womanly than I'll ever know how to be.

Partner missedyno

Jun 17, 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #8 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha!

yeah, i clean up okay but i prefer to avoid that. i don't wear heels to save my back (start young)
i don't wear makeup except for rare occasions, i'd rather not be bothered. i bike to work, towel off and get changed into semi business attire.

i loooove being dirty when camping or climbing.

dirt barbie. lovin the term, people! when i was younger i was outside working on the car with dad, took auto mechanics in high school... etc.

my partner sometimes says i'm "sooo girly" but that's just because i am very giddy around him (love, it does strange stuff!)

12 days until my 8 day road trip! bring on the dirt baby! :lol:

sroehlk

Jun 18, 2003, 1:01 AM
Post #9 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirt Barbie - Great Term!

I like to think I adapt to my surrounding. When I'm in the city I'm more of a girly girl. At work I look "done" but I don't wear a ton of make-up. When it's time to go out at night I wear a little more make-up - have to be dramatic... I must confess, I love shopping and getting a great deal. Now that could be a new dress or a new tank to climb in. I'm not picky. (Side Note: If you ever stop at Miguels they sell the Prana tanks about $10 less than retail stores and catalogs.)

When I'm in the great outdoors the last thing I want to think about is how my hair looks and :shock: is my make-up alright? Not to mention make-up and sweat just don't mix. I cut my hair short last summer and love it! Just wash and go and when it gets too unruly out comes the bandana. I love getting dirty and I'm proud of every cut, scrap, and bruise on my body!

mwbtle

Jun 18, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #10 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely more of a tom-boy. It drives my boyfriend's mother crazy.
I never wear jewelery other than a plain watch and a ring my bf gave me...I never wear makeup unless its a special occasion, I avoid skirts (except for my ACTION SKIRT...its all stretchy and stuff and I could probably climb in it no problem). My hair is wash and go. I don't primp much, my elbows are dry and yucky, I don't have any idea whether I have an oily t-zone. My nails are chewed off stubs, with flaking silver nail polish (my one girly weakness, I like nail polish...preferably chipped though.), none of my clothes coordinate, and I hate pink. :)

But, occasionally, I enjoy getting all dolled up and wowing people that my t-shirt and jeans self can actually look girly. I just prefer to be comfy rather than primped most times. And I don't ever want to need more than 15 minutes to get ready in the mornings (post shower). Just seems silly to need that much routine. I mean, who am I trying to impress? I'm fine just the way I am...and the dirt gives me character. :D

robmcc

Jun 18, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #11 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

8)

BURT BRONSON!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Argh! Have you any idea how hard it is to get coffee out of a laptop!?! :lol:

dirtineye

Jun 18, 2003, 7:24 AM
Post #12 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Burt Bronson is a gay man in a man's body hiding in the closet.

This is so old, but, I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

Dirt Barbie. An instant classic. Gonna name a climb that next week, I swear it. I really need a dirt barbie to be in on the FA though. OK, maybe I'll wait til I can get a bona fide trad girl out and THEN call one dirt barbie. It's gonna happen.

Really now, are there any girly girl climber chicks?

GIve me the tom-boy, or better yet, the DIRT BARBIE every time. I FOOKIN hate girly girls.

After all, Sweaty girls are HOT! (It's a pun, see, don't hit me for being a pig. OINK.)

granite_grrl

Jun 18, 2003, 11:47 AM
Post #13 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sisters make me feel bad that I'm not quite as girly as I could be. Don't get me wrong, I like to dress up, but they have learn that they don't have to be a fashion plate every time they go out. Every time there's a family gathering I get comments like: "I'm going to show you how to do your hair", or "you can't wear that colour", or "why don't you go get your eye brows waxed". The worst is that they just assume that becasue I chose to lounge around the house in Prana pants, or heven forbid go out like that (*gasp* what would the folk at the climbing gym think!) that I'm not capable of girling myself up.

Christmas time was like this, and I tell you I started thinking that maybe they were right. Then my buddy Michelle snapped me back to reality. I met up with her and she was wearing just plain jeans and sneakers. She didn't say that wearing hiking boots was silly or that I should go buy more clothes, we just hung out and had fun. None of that fashion critique that my sisters insist on giving when they go out.

I don't want to give you the immpression that my sisters are all that bad, they just don't realize that my lifestyle is different then theirs. When you have to bike every where you go for example heels and skirts kinda fall by the wayside.

troutboy

Jun 18, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #14 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well...3 or 4 years ago we were taking a day off at the Gallery at Red Rocks. We noticed the smell of perfume in the air and turned around in time to see a woman and man approaching. The man looked like your typical climber, but the woman was totally decked out - high heels, short shorts, skimpy top, made-up like a Vegas showgirl, hair totally coiffed, prefume out the wazoo.

Imagine our surprise when she led all the climbs (not in heels, though). She led up to .10b or so (OK, so it was the Gallery, still..). Her character and behavior fit the get-up, so if it was a joke she carried it out to the fullest.

TS

granite_grrl

Jun 19, 2003, 11:48 AM
Post #15 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="dirtineye"]Really now, are there any girly girl climber chicks?
In reply to:

I have a good firend who is kinda a giry-girl, but does seem to do quite fine in enviroments that girly-girls normally can't handle. She's in my engineering class, and she goes out climbing with me, but she also really enjoys clothes and comes to class on a semi regular basis all decked out (heels, make-up, clevage being shown off). She's never gone climbing in heels or anything like that :), but I would think that mos people when they first meet her would beleive that she was an all out girly-girl.

darin

Jun 19, 2003, 4:25 PM
Post #16 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

from my guy perspective, give me tomboy over girly-girly every single time... we like the girl who can get ready in 15 minutes by simply throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt... put on a ballcap or pull the hair back in a ponytail is all we need... don't cake on the makeup, we don't need that..

nothing's hotter than a tomboy/girl-next-door in a rugby shirt and jeans with the only "makeup" being a really cute smile... slap on a ballcap or pull the hair back into a ponytail or just over your ears and you're set...

this is a plea to all the "dirt barbies" out there... don't change a thing...

deleted
Deleted

Jun 19, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #17 of 111 (17992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amen, bruddah ... AMEN.

dirt-barbies rule!!

the_pirate

Jun 19, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #18 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
She didn't say that wearing hiking boots was silly or that I should go buy more clothes,

A girl in hiking boots always makes my heart flutter, just a little.

Partner cracklover

Jun 19, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #19 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Two quotes from a climbing trip I once took: After one girl's first sport lead... "I don't think I like to lead. What if I slip and hit my face?" And at the end of the day, returning to the car all grubby... "Look at my gear - it's a mess! Do most people have nice gear for the gym, and junky gear that it's okay to get dirty outside?" Another girl on the trip was American, but likes to joke that she's really Eurotrash. So yeah, I suspect there are plenty of real girly-girl climbers, but most of them stick to the gym, most of the time.

GO

hstewart

Jun 19, 2003, 5:45 PM
Post #20 of 111 (17998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tracy - I'm also sitting here at work in heels and a skirt, but am just DYING to get outside. Sometimes the professional, "girly" side and the outdoorsy tomboy side seem like split personalities--especially when you live in an urban area and have a professional job. However I do find balance in being able to strut as good as the next girl AND climb hard with the boys. You're exactly right...I think we have the best of both worlds.

Partner missedyno

Jun 19, 2003, 6:11 PM
Post #21 of 111 (17997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a professional job ... work at a law firm. but if i'm going to wear sandals, i wear my tevas :)

wigglestick

Jun 19, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #22 of 111 (17997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
from my guy perspective, give me tomboy over girly-girly every single time... we like the girl who can get ready in 15 minutes by simply throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt... put on a ballcap or pull the hair back in a ponytail is all we need... don't cake on the makeup, we don't need that..

nothing's hotter than a tomboy/girl-next-door in a rugby shirt and jeans with the only "makeup" being a really cute smile... slap on a ballcap or pull the hair back into a ponytail or just over your ears and you're set...

this is a plea to all the "dirt barbies" out there... don't change a thing...

No truererer words have ever been written. Ponytails and ballcaps rule and don't let anybody tell you different.

granite_grrl

Jun 19, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #23 of 111 (17997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's nice to have you men in the room reply to this, it's nice to know that the type of men that we would really be interested in (athletic outdoorsy men, at least I like that) are really interested in us dirt barbies (still loving the name :) ). I don't think I would like a fellow who would be interested in a girly girl in the first place, those girls can keep 'em!

angelaa

Jun 19, 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #24 of 111 (17997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am TOTALY a tom-boy . . .and I have found that the guys I climb with . . . .LOVE IT when I am covered in dirt, bruises and blood!!

OK guys help me with this here . . . is it really that Sexy?

I mean sure I am bruised and dirty. . . but should this make me sexy? Nah!

it sure is fun though . . .

deleted
Deleted

Jun 19, 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #25 of 111 (17991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes. it is VERY sexy.

the SMART men know this.

why? because you can always take a dirt-barbie, hose her off and doll her up. but it's damn near impossible to get a glamour girl to agree to play dirty ... and LIKE it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook