Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
East Ridge of the Grand
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerocket

Jun 20, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1468 views)
Shortcut

East Ridge of the Grand  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does any one have any beta on the E. Ridge of the Grand. I am looking at doing it in Aug. I was just up there and there is still alot of snow up high. Thanks for any input. John

haydukelives

Jun 24, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: East Ridge of the Grand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There should be a lot less snow in August, but there is some permanent snow that will have to be negotiated up high. You may be able to go around it, though.

brianinslc

Jun 24, 2003, 9:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does any one have any beta on the E. Ridge of the Grand. I am looking at doing it in Aug. I was just up there and there is still alot of snow up high. Thanks for any input. John

Bivy high (just down and around from a small snowfield which is nice for water) at a nice site prior to the first chimney (where most folk rope up). Access via nice well worn social trail a bit more left than you'd think from the top left edge of the moraine. Even with an afternoon start from the car, not too bad a day to high camp.

Do the tricky traverse variation. Super fun.

Go light and carry over (bivy bag, no stove or share). Small rack, light rope.

Take an axe and maybe light crampons for the upper snowfield. The last few pitches up the chimney system are fun.

Don't feel bad about yardin' on the pins at the chockstone...

Hang in there on the rock pitch below the last snowfield (above the last tower). Can be pretty wet, and, not much pro, but the climbing is pretty straightforward.

Description in the Renny guidebook works perfect. If you've never topped out on the Grand, be sure to copy that part of the guidebook in case you summit late and can't follow another party. Its a sort of well worn path, but, can be cornfusing in that snowstorm late in the day or in the dark...

Shoot for good solid high pressure and clear skies.

Fun route!

Brian in SLC

alpinerocket

Jun 25, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Brian, Big Help. However I am still looking for a solid partner that could do it with me last half of August. I will be in the area Aug 17-24. Anyone up to it? John

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook