RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tradman

Jul 21, 2003, 11:53 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with Cyborg Arms
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend of mine has just started climbing with me and some more experienced guys (he's loving it, aaaaah bless). About 10 years ago he had a major crash on his BMX and now has pins and plates in his upper arm, and is finding that they ache a little after climbing.

Does anyone know if there are any known problems with this, and if the artificial stuff will be strong enough to take falls on one arm without damage?

Feedback appreciated!

cbeltrano

Jul 21, 2003, 12:22 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing with Cyborg Arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not too sure about pins that are permanent but i had two screws and a pin in my left arm just past my wrist.. for a while after climbing there was pain from my thumb to where the pins were..... solution (for me of course this is not medical advice at all)

taped my wrist while climbing for a week and then after my first climb for another week..... yesterday.... no tape at all and it feels great... gonna let it rest for a few days now. i think my pain situation's solved.

of course my climbing partner has permanent pins in his shoulder and did some pretty good damage to it yesterday when he was fist jamming this crack and barn-doored right off it....

so what i'm trying to say is..... have him ask a doctor.

allan_thomson

Jul 21, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

so what i'm trying to say is..... have him ask a doctor.

Problem with that is, if they're anything like mine, they'll just say no, even though they don't know what they're talking about (some of them, but not all)

Partner philbox

Jul 21, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A mate of mine was telling me about a plate that he had in his arm. The screws ended up working out of it. What he would do is push them back in, he ended up having to go in to hospital to get the plate out.

Your bones are somewhat plastic and of course the plate is relatively inflexible thus you waill have the bone working against the plate and fixed screws. Do this enough and something will want to give way.

Sure go and ask the quack but you`ll need to be very specific in your questioning so that you understand the limitations of the device that is inserted in the arm.

orseille

Aug 8, 2003, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: :shock: :? :roll: ....

hemm... for all the weird stuff i've seen... some stories seem slightly deformed....

ok... people say they have pins in there arms....

unless you have a prosthetic elbow....
(most people who do... are either ... 0ver 85.... or have had serious accidents... and I mean serious..

hem the primary goal of these pins is so that the fibrocartilaginous cal... (bone scartissue) forms in a straight fashion...

when you break a bone.. its never as strong as the old one... the pins are not there to bring strength to the bone... and believe me... if ever you see an orthopedic surgery... you'll understand why...

could the pain be caused by something else .... and this person associating that pain .. with the pins?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook