RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kalcario

Jul 19, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Speed Freaks and Peaks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check this out, on the LA Times editorial page no less...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-peaks19jul19,1,6393782.story?coll=la-headlines-oped-manual

crazykid

Jul 19, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Re: Speed Freaks and Peaks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't get a chance to read the article because you have to be a registered member in order to read it. Maybe you should cut and paste the article here. Just a suggestion though :roll:

bumblie

Jul 22, 2003, 1:20 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check this link out. The main guy climbed all of Colorado's 14ers in eleven days. Yowza :D

http://www.thecavedog.com/Index.html

bumblie

Jul 22, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's good to clarify what is involved in setting these records. Several years back, two brothers set the Colorado 14er record in a completely self-sufficient manner.

But more importantly, how long will it take you to climb all the 14ers? Summer's end, perhaps?

bumblie

Jul 22, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have one of those 14er books that offered a "fun factor" for rating routes. We always choose the route with the highest fun factor.

thegreytradster

Jul 22, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a good writeup of Jack McBrooms' exploits at climbaz.com/features/cal14ers.html

Thought it noteworty that the LA Times doesn't think Starlight is a peak because it's not on the tee shirt, (but when do they ever get anything right on any subject?) The only reason to leave Starlight out is that you can't do it.

If you really wanted to stretch it you could include all three summits onWilliamson and Keller Needle too.

Partner calamity_chk

Jul 22, 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This may not be a record, but it's impressive anyway:

When [Neal] Beidleman returned from Everest [in], he and a friend ran and hiked all 14 of the 14,000-foot peaks in Colorado's Elk Mountain Range, covering 70 miles in 37 hours.

i wanna do something like that when i grow up.

gravitysucks

Jul 22, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I personally find these kinds of records insignificant.

What would really float my boat is if someone pulled a Goran Kropp - bicycle from route to route, do it all solo, and choose the most DIFFICULT ascent. That would put the kabosh on any kind of easy speed record and place the emphasis on perspicacity, fortitude, and skill.

agreed. and hey...what happened to having good, clean fun in the out-of-doors without trying to "one up" each other all the time? of course I understand setting personal goals for one's self, but I'm starting to think I come from the nanny-nanny-boo-boo generation.

:roll: :? :shock: :wink:

dlintz

Jul 22, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What would really float my boat is if someone pulled a Goran Kropp - bicycle from route to route, do it all solo, and choose the most DIFFICULT ascent. That would put the kabosh on any kind of easy speed record and place the emphasis on perspicacity, fortitude, and skill.

Have you tried Pyramid Peak? I'm gonna stick to the easiest route on that rubble pile. :shock:

jsj42

Jul 23, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skibabeage, I disagree with your opinion - I think this record IS significant.

In reply to:

My personal issue with these kinds of records is that they are not necessarily about skill.

Correct. In my mind they are about three things: Luck, logistics, and fitness. Yes, he had a full support team. But there's nothing wrong with that - I've been watching the Tour these days and you can't help but notice Lance Armstrong's huge support team... but does that detract from the acheivement of the athlete (or significance of the accomplishment)? Not in my book.

In reply to:

The dude who climbed CO's 14ers set the clock from the beginning of the trail to its end, and did not include travel time from peak to peak

This is incorrect! He did include all the travel time. Otherwise he could just do a sprint of a 14er, rest a few days, then do another sprint, rest, etc... but this is not what he did - he did a non-stop marathon of the peaks - only sleeping in the van while he was being shuttled to the next peak.

In reply to:

Here are the CO rules - 1. The Colorado Rule: a) one must ascend at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation gain on foot from the base of the first peak of a series. b) foot traverses of less than 3,000 feet are allowed between peaks through traverses. c) one must descend on foot at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation loss back to the starting point or end of a traverse. Once one has descended 3,000 feet from one mountain group and reached the end of the route, overland travel in a vehicle to the starting point of another mountain group is acceptable. A vehicle can be any mechanical device such as cars, trucks, ATVs, bicycles, helicopters, etc., and/or any animals such as horses, mules, people, etc.

These are the rules... obviously for any competition there are rules and, in general they are arbitrary. They're designed to make the competition fun, unique, accessible, safe... but they are arbitrary - you're right.

In reply to:

Interpretation - ride a MTB on the trail as far as you can to achieve speed and distance) He also chose the easiest routes up and down, meaning trail-running on Class I routes for the most part (there are several 14ers that do require some Class III climbing with exposure, as in the Maroon Bells and Capitol Peak). And a final quote - "During the record, Cave Dog climbed, and that is all." Interpretation - he had someone do his driving, his cooking, his field maintenance, health, you name it.

He didn't make up the rules, remember that. He's taking the exisiting rules and employing the best possible strategy to them. In my mind this is brillant and worthy of admiration. In other words, this man not only climbs hard, but he climbs smart.

In reply to:

Sounds like a lazy man's way to the top.

Your implication here just sounds absurd to me - no offense.

In reply to:

I personally find these kinds of records insignificant.

That is fair, and one person has already shared your view, so I respect that. I personally find these records significant (duh - otherwise I'd shut up), but hopefully this post can expose why.

In reply to:

I think you've hit the key distinction here however. I think that, within the exisiting framework of "The Colorado Rules", CaveDog was a model of "perspicacity, fortitude, and skill."

If he had done all the technical routes and walked between 14ers, he certainly would have accomplished an impressive feat, but he would have failed miserably at the speed record.

Speed records are just one type of (many) accomplishments. I've done many Colorado 14ers, and I've done many of them as speed ascents... perhaps that gives me a perspective to understand just how amazing this record was.

It's okay not to aspire to speed records or to be inspired by them, but I think it's hard to deny that CaveDog's accomplishment wasn't very, very impressive.

Josh

gravitysucks

Jul 23, 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If he had done all the technical routes and walked between 14ers, he certainly would have accomplished an impressive feat, but he would have failed miserably at the speed record.

Speed records are just one type of (many) accomplishments. I've done many Colorado 14ers, and I've done many of them as speed ascents... perhaps that gives me a perspective to understand just how amazing this record was.

It's okay not to aspire to speed records or to be inspired by them, but I think it's hard to deny that CaveDog's accomplishment wasn't very, very impressive.

Josh

Josh-

I DO agree with you in the sense that if CaveDog's personal goal was that of the speed record, and he accomplished that, it is surely something to be proud of and (hopefully) significant to him. to each his own. I would not want to bash anyone for fulfilling a dream if that is what he has done. I know I get tired of people pissing on mine by telling me I am crazy or irresponsible for training for whatever peak tantalizes the eye and dazzles my heart at the moment.

so I guess what gets under my skin is "glory chasers" and fickle people who switch from endeavor to endeavor doing whatever is currently "trendy" trying to get noticed in order to fill some void with a bunch of "atta boy"s. people who I imagine have "...anything you can do I can do better...I can do anything better than you..." on eternal loop in their subconscious. Mr. Berlin would be so proud. don't get me wrong, I believe in healthy competition, I simply think that one-upping people just for the sake of it, is childish.

conclude mini-rant.

personally, Erden Eruç is my new favorite hero. I wish I possessed that type of courageous ambition.

:roll: :? :shock: :wink:

climber1

Jul 23, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to each his/her own. this really isn't mountaineering though.

whistleblower

Jul 23, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
to each his/her own. this really isn't mountaineering though.

Right. It redefines mountaineering. Let's face it, people get more and more fit, and the world becomes smaller and smaller.

bumblie

Jul 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this really isn't mountaineering though.

Correct. Anyone who has read "Ascent of The Rum Doodle" knows mountaineering. Truly a watershed event in the history of mountain climbing.

bumblie

Jul 23, 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is it that some people feel compelled to piss all over the impressive feats of others? Understandably, people may be unimpressed due to personal preferences, style etc.. But why do some people have to publicly express why a particular achievement is less than worthy? Frequently, their arguments for discounting the event are completely erroneous.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

bumblie

Jul 23, 2003, 1:54 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
why is it that some people feel compelled to piss all over someone else's opinion because it differs from their own?

I wish I knew. :roll:

Partner calamity_chk

Jul 23, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
This may not be a record, but it's impressive anyway:

When [Neal] Beidleman returned from Everest [in], he and a friend ran and hiked all 14 of the 14,000-foot peaks in Colorado's Elk Mountain Range, covering 70 miles in 37 hours.

i wanna do something like that when i grow up.

Okay. Git yer butt to Colorado, I'll fill you up on Magic Gorp, and we can be Two Crazy Ladies on any number of peaks here!

PS Boyfriend can fire up the grill and cook the steaks...... :wink:

this sounds incredibly good.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook