RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

haydukelives

Jul 29, 2003, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

bad rap anchor at Sunset
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This past Thursday (7/24), I climbed Afternoon Delight at Sunset Park. There were three webbing slings around a tree and a quick-link to rap off. Pretty standard, and the webbing looked pretty good. Out of habit, I gave the link a once-over to make sure it wasn't rusted through. It was then that I noticed that all three slings were melted a third of the way through exactly where the link was hanging on them. It did not appear to be the result of someone pulling a rope directly through the slings. The only thing I can figure is that the friction of pulling a rope through the link heated the link up enough to damage the webbing.
Can anyone out there corroborate this theory? Always inspect your anchors. (Yes, I cut away the damaged webbing and added two new slings.)

tenn_dawg

Jul 29, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Re: bad rap anchor at Sunset [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I rapped off of those anchors with Tradpuppy 2 weeks ago, and they looked fine then. I can't believe I would have missed something that obvious.

This is why I am a firm supporter of rap ring bolts at the top of trad climbs in areas that see heavy traffic. You save the trees from abrasion and also increase the safety for all climbing there.

Glad you caught the problem before it got any worse!

Travis

tradpuppy

Jul 30, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TEEN_dawg :D we didn't do any routes at that particular spot, but I'm glad they found those that were melted. It's feasable the heat from the chain link might melt the sling slowly over time.

tenn_dawg

Jul 30, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
TEEN_dawg :D we didn't do any routes at that particular spot, but I'm glad they found those that were melted. It's feasable the heat from the chain link might melt the sling slowly over time.

Dangit Jeff, I'll be thirty years old and everyone will still be calling me TEEN dawg. I'm gonna go watch MTV and and tell stories about how cool I am to the 16 year old girls, so I can live up to this stigma!

Anyway, I could have sworn that Crack we did down near the TR project was the climb he was talking about. I lost my craggers long ago, however and could not verify.

In other words, I have no Idea what I'm talking about, and everyone would be best to ignore me.

That's it, I'm going back to community.... :wink:

Travis

barc

Jul 30, 2003, 4:41 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not familar with this area, but if it was a short route (less than 100 feet), someone could have lowered off through the quick link. This will heat up enough to melt the webbing.

Elliott

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook