RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

organic

Jul 27, 2003, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Climbers in South 'Burbs of Chicago
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Just wondering what the census is on climbers in the south suburbs, I'm talking Palos, Tinley., Mokena, Orland, Kankakee, etc. etc. Give a shout out. I'm a UIC student just looking for some people who enjoy climbing down or up (depending on where you are from) here.

PS. I'll bring the beer/wine/vodka and the chalk

sonus

Jul 27, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #2 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers in South 'Burbs of Chicago [In reply to]
Report this Post

I live in Park Ridge and go to IIT. VE is my gym and DL is my crag. :-)

ladsquared

Jul 28, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i'm located in the north 'burbs of chicago (skokie), but i usually climb down at vertical endeavors in warrenville. if you're looking for anyone from the chicagoland area that climb, ve is the place to go. there's also LPAC (lincoln park athletic club), lakeshore athletic club and hidden peaks downtown (if you like to boulder). i didn't know anyone at uic climbed when i went there...are there any other college students in the chicagoland area that climb?

juju

Jul 28, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #4 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I also go to IIT, along with Sonus. Our college has a rock climbing club, so we've actually got a nice little group of students who all enjoy climbing together. Over the summer, I've been trying to get to VE every wednesday or so, and just got back from Devil's Lake last night (hoping to get there next weekend too).

ryanhos

Jul 29, 2003, 6:10 AM
Post #5 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I know this is a bit off-topic since you were originally looking for south-suburban climbers, but there's a group of us from IIT who are seriously planning another DL trip this coming weekend. (Aug 2,3) If you want to make some sort of arrangements, we'd be happy to try to meet up w/ you in the CCC parking lot saturday or sunday morning. Sonus, juju, moshe, and I are the likely group, but Sonus always drags along somebody and I have a few friends itching to get outside. Between us, we have 3 ropes and enough pro to hang them. (probably on climbs between 5.6 and 5.9) Come and share some ropes and some of my famous beef jerky!

BTW organic, my girlfriend, juju, tried your tip for streching small shoes in New Shoes and Crushed Feet and it seemed to work for her in 2 of the 3 problem spots on her toes. Thanks, cuz I was almost ready to help her buy a new pair just so she'd be comfortable on long days at the Lake.

organic

Jul 29, 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #6 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hmm how long do you guys plan on being gone for? Plan on camping? Also I don't stay on campus at UIC I'm a commuter YAY! So if we meet up sometime it would be better maybe to leave my car someplace, I've been to IIT once but that was about 1.5 years ago and it was at night so I don't remember it much but I'm sure there is a place I could stash my car otherwise it would have to be train + El. Anyways i would love to meet up with you guys at VE never been there heard lots of good things except the $15 entry fee. The gym i climb at down here costs $3 for residents, not the greatest wall but you can make up some nice routes etc. and who can beat $3? So VE on my current budget is some damage but hey nothing beats fun people to climb with. Also what kind of climbing do you do? Sport and Top Rope? I'm mostly boulder since there is not much climbing around here, I have top roped and sport climbed but only in gyms.I have never climbed a rated climb before so i have no idea what my capabilities are I would say hopefully around 5.8,9 but then again thats probably as arbitrary as saying 5.12. Thats most of the downsides now the upside is I can belay, provide my own harness and a slackline. these are mostly the extent of my abilities, I have climbed on rock before but all bouldering and last but certainly not least I bring alcohol. If I make it through the screening process i would like to thank Mr. T, Gary Coleman and Ru Paul.

Just let me know the info and if you guys are willing to drag along someone like me. also its weird to see that people actually read your posts and take your advice ya' know? i just bought myself a new pair of Boreal Zens 1 size small and that technique worked for me, I've had my shoes about 2 weeks and they are pretty much all broken in, then again I climb like 4 or 5 times a week so don't expect that soon. Also are you all from Illinois or just going to school here? What you all majoring in? I am a Biology Major Pre-Med(hopefully ; ) ) and I am sure your beef jerky is great but I'm a vegetarian : / sorry! Off to climb, laters guys and gals.

docoorah

Jul 29, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #7 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I, Too, am from the north burbs (Gurnee) and make VE my gym and DL/MP my crags.

Let me know if you are planning something.

docoorah@comcast.net

ryanhos

Jul 30, 2003, 2:28 AM
Post #8 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
and I am sure your beef jerky is great but I'm a vegetarian : / sorry!

I had a feeling you might be a vegetarian when I read your screen name. :)

Just a quick tip: VE is only $10 with a college ID on wednesday nights all year long.

Organic, why don't you email me (edu.iit@hochrya) and we'll see what sort of arrangements we can make for this weekend. I've yet to talk w/ Sonus (the man w/ the van.) but he's been jones'n to get outside since our last trip together at the beginning of summer so I'm pretty sure he's in. We were planning on camping. Departure friday evening or saturday morning (early!) is still up for debate.

sroehlk

Jul 30, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Did you guys check out the weather - possible T-storms all weekend. :?

ryanhos

Jul 30, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Did you guys check out the weather - possible T-storms all weekend. :?

*fingers in ears* la, la, la, if I can't hear you, it isn't real!

besides, last weekend was the same deal. 50% chance of rain on both days and it was beautiful all weekend. With DL, you just have to take your chances because none of the major weather services really know how to predict the weather up there, even within 8 hours. (I checked the weather before we left saturday. 40% chance of rain. not a drop fell.)

sroehlk

Jul 30, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #11 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Really? Well my friends and I have a back-up plan just in case :wink:

organic

Jul 31, 2003, 5:22 AM
Post #12 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

my arms are sore, galyans is pretty cool they let you climb for free if you sign up for one of their cheesy cards, also did a little bouldering traverse that was fun. Anyways I probably need to rest before this weekend if we are going to do anything. i have a car also etc. etc. just no rope and stuff. So all the chumps with ropes and pro, and the chumps with cars and beers(me and sonus) lets decide on something. So is you is or is you ain't my baby? At least meet up at that bouldering wall in chicago if no Devil's Lake, what's that wall called again?

PS. my car can fit 3 people comfortably 4 a little uncomfortably and 5 or 6 if we count the trunk.

PSS. i have some wine and vodka that is in some serious need of getting swallowed.

sonus

Jul 31, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #13 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

no need to worry about weather

if i worried about weather, i would never do a god damned thing

i just returned from a 3 week road trip...not a drop fell on my polish head. not a single one. :-)

if it rains, then you wait and play cards till it stops

simple

sonus

Jul 31, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #14 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

anyway,

we're probably going to leave chicago 5am saturday, and get to the lake around 8am.

i dont know exactly where we'll climb. the east bluff is more popular, so maybe we'll hit the west bluff this time. we'll see. i'll know more details tomorrow.

in the meantime, if you're interested in hooking up at the lake, drop me or ryan an email. mine is brozrob@iit.edu

pacem

juju

Jul 31, 2003, 6:46 AM
Post #15 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Organic, since ryanhos and sonus are arranging all the details for the trip this weekend, I'll answer your earlier questions. I am from Illinois originally aside from going to school here (good ol' Calumet City...home of the blues brothers :) ), and I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering.
Also, I wanted to second that 'thank you' that ryanhos gave about the tip on stretching my shoes. It did help with some of the painful areas, and hopefully it'll fix the other painful areas if I try it again. I'm dead set on making these shoes work for me. They fit like a sock everywhere else, minus those eeeeeevil little painful spots.

Sonus - I'll bring the cards in case it rains this weekend as long as you bring the schnapps n' chocolate :wink: mmm...peppermint patties....

ladsquared

Jul 31, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i knew a couple pre-med students while i was at uic...i was in engineering there, and now my major is physical therapy. i will be transferring to illinois state. (upper limits!)

as far as this weekend, i won't be in DL because: the forcast calls for rain this weekend and i'll be in the ISU area fri and sat.

if anyone is down for climbing at ve/hidden peaks for bouldering/anywhere else, drop an email

ladsquared2@yahoo.com

organic

Jul 31, 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #17 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Not to be underconfident but I honestly don't know if i will be able to climb a 5.8/9 so you guys better not hold me to that this weekend!!!!

PS. I am borrowing my brothers digital camera so we can take some pictures, this is going to fun can't wait to meet some serious climbers

fuzzymonkey

Aug 1, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #18 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Guys. I'd love to come along with you again, our last trip was a lot of fun, but I have family in town. :? So have fun, and I hope the weather holds off for you. If you are planning another trip soon, let me know, I'll see if I have some free time. BTW - I'm 4 block from US Cell...err...Comiskey and when I can I frequent VE. I'd love to check out Hidden Peak, everyone seems to rave about that place.

Take Care and have a good trip.

-Steve

organic

Aug 4, 2003, 1:45 PM
Post #19 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Our trip to Devil's Lake was pretty awesome sorry you didn't have a chance to come Steve. We had a 2 minute drizzle on saturday so we were able to climb for 7 or 8 hours and on sunday we climbed 1 or 2 before the downpour hit. I want to head over to Harbor wall ( http://oac.uchicago.edu/climbing/harborwall/harborwall.html ) this week anyone intrested drop me a line.

nagatana

Sep 29, 2003, 5:33 AM
Post #20 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Latecomer [In reply to]
Report this Post

Southwest suburbs, near Oak Brook.
Currently attending COD and planning on hitting up VE 'least twice a week.

Call me al.

dogfish

Sep 7, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #21 of 21 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

northwest indiana but really close, work in lansing IL, and i go to school at Purdue Calumet i'm looking for people to climb with and what not and would be glad to meet people, i think i'm going to start more indoor climbing at 'climb on' in homewood IL but yeah hit me up

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook