RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

timstich

Aug 1, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Thigh doubles as Ice Axe Sheath
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did anyone catch that nasty ass medical horrors show on Fox last night? There was one guy named John Lowe (I think) that was climbing Mt. Shasta a while back. He decides to glissade down after summiting and gets into an out of control slide and can't self arrest. Coming to a stop at the bottom of a slope with burns from the friction of the snow, he finds his leg is in intense pain. It turns out that he had his mountain axe buried up to the head within his thigh muscle. Really, the entire length of the shaft entered the outer thigh just below the hip bone and exited from the side of the inner knee. This made the skin bulge out on his leg in a grotesque fashion.

They removed the axe without having to cut it into pieces in the emergency room. The doctor said that the wound didn't even bleed much at all. No arteries were cut. It took about a month for the guy to recover, amazingly. He's hiking, climbing fine today.

There were a lot of other disgusting things on the show, but none climbing related. If they rerun it, be prepared to eat dinner before or after. I was eating during the show. Fortunately, I have a strong stomach.

cricket

Aug 1, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thigh doubles as Ice Axe Sheath [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was pretty horrific. Guess he did not know it happened until he saw it sticking out- yuck! It nearly severed a major artery - 3mm away. He was definitely pretty lucky to be alive.

olddude

Aug 1, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you say: Rebar, Frog Gig & Twin... I'd write more but have to go to lunch...

threejameses

Aug 1, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the ice axe, frog gig and twin (missed the rebar though). That twin would have made a great X files episode.

Mark - what are the chances some lawyer is going to call up that climber and suggest a couple million bucks worth of litigation over failing to issue a warning statement that their ice axe could double as a human shishkabob spear?! :roll:

vegastradguy

Aug 1, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, but nothing beats having a 300lb tumor removed.

some people really need to get better hobbies. The producer of that show spent like 4 years gathering footage and stories for that one show.

:roll:

timstich

Aug 1, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw the ice axe, frog gig and twin (missed the rebar though). That twin would have made a great X files episode.

Mark - what are the chances some lawyer is going to call up that climber and suggest a couple million bucks worth of litigation over failing to issue a warning statement that their ice axe could double as a human shishkabob spear?! :roll:

Speaking of lawyers, when my friend Joe died in his climbing accident, it got printed in the paper. Wouldn't you know some ambulance chasing dickweed calls up his house to talk to the family. So the lawyer starts fishing for details and then asks if the equipment was faulty. You know, it's all about the deep pockets with the $$. Becky says to him very calmly so that he understands, "No, Joe died because he made a mistake. And that's OK." That was it, and she hung the phone up.

texasclimber

Aug 1, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Speaking of lawyers, when my friend Joe died in his climbing accident, it got printed in the paper. Wouldn't you know some ambulance chasing dickweed calls up his house to talk to the family. So the lawyer starts fishing for details and then asks if the equipment was faulty. You know, it's all about the deep pockets with the $$. Becky says to him very calmly so that he understands, "No, Joe died because he made a mistake. And that's OK." That was it, and she hung the phone up.

That's ashame. Lawyers suck. My Dad was so fed up with dealing with lawyers and being threatened through legal action he just decided to go to law school. Now he has a year left and his list of victims is just waiting to be ticked...

allan_thomson

Aug 2, 2003, 2:03 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Incidentally, do you think it'd be possible to sue one of these ambulance chasing lawyers, for the strain that they caused you by encouraging + representing someone who decided to sue you for a mistake which may have been their own fault, but involved your equipment/expertise?

pehperboy

Aug 2, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't be worth it. The only thing those losers have is one bad suit and the morals of a drug dealer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook