RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

telluridehiker

Aug 7, 2003, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Family Issues...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you find yourself less willing to take chances because of a wife, girlfriend, or kids? Or do these things just make you that much more cautious?

caughtinside

Aug 7, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Re: Family Issues... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not all the time, but often when I climb I find I am thinking about absolutely nothing. I am aware of the climb and that's it. I love it because I'm not worried about falling, pro, or other stuff, and it's when I climb my best. I'm not even saying 'you can do it' to myself or anything like that.

I'm not married though...

crackaddict

Aug 7, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definatley yes!

Since I have been married and have kids I don't take as many chances. I have pretty much wrote soloing off. I used to solo alot.
The responsibility of providing for my family has take priority in my life now. I still push myself and try new stuff. Just now I rope up morre.
Peace!

moabbeth

Aug 7, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No hubby, no kids, and a boyfriend who is a far more experienced climber than me. So nope, don't really have anything holding me back :wink: .

rogueclimber

Aug 7, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always found myself taking more chances. That was right before I got divorced! Heh HeH!! :twisted:

jansuw

Aug 7, 2003, 8:32 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend thinks i'm going to die everytime i go climbing and i think the fear kind of rubs onto me as well. Basically I just check over anchors more and take a little extra time to be careful/safe. I dont think it should affect anyones climbing, unless you're into highball bouldering, soloing or huge runouts. :)

joegoesup

Aug 7, 2003, 11:05 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most definately. I am a single Dad to a 6 year old son, and I am all he has. I am probable a little over cautious, but careful never killed anybody, or at least I like to think so. :D

wonderwoman

Aug 7, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climb, I am pretty focused on climbing. I am also what some people would call a 'safe nazi', and if I feel like I'm out of my league then I have no problem just walking away. The rock will still be there when I come back. It has more to do with my confidence in my climbing ability and gear placement than me thinking about risks. But no... I would never put my life on the line.

Within the past month, I watched my finacee take two nasty falls and sprain two different ankles. The first was a fluke on sport climbing where his hands were sweaty and he slipped of a roof onto a ledge. The second was when we were just getting into trad and he climbed above the first anchor which was not a good placement and then fell. and then hit the ground beside me. and then bounced and continued to fall down this gulley only stopping because I was anchored in and still had him on belay.

Since that last fall he says he has really thought about his daughter and me, and how some things are not worth the risk. When he's all healed up, we're going to get back out there but I think we will both be a lot more realistic about risk I believe that it was more painful for me to watch, than for him to fall. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him, and I'm sure he feels the same about me.

uscrocker

Aug 8, 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was fine climbing... until my dad started reminding me every chance he gets that if something goes wrong you dont get hurt... you die... i sure wish he had never said anything

basecamp_junkie

Aug 8, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that since "settling down" I don't take nearly as many chances as I used to both consciously and unconsciously. I am not sure if my family has everything to do with it, but I certainly have factored that into decisions about certain activities.....

onelung

Aug 8, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I am a bit older so Yes I put my a$$ on the line less often than I used to.

But I still push myself as much as I can. My wife knows not to ask me to be "Be safe" if she says anything she says "Drive fast, Take chances" one of the many reasons I love her.

I am bill

and....

hamartolos

Aug 8, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you kidding?! My wife is usually on the rock with me!

petsfed

Aug 8, 2003, 3:40 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed it in a lot of people. After marriage and/or kids, they're not as bold. I guess climbing is a game for adolescents (emotionally or physically) who think they're invincible. I take risks while climbing that I don't want others (specifically my girlfriend) taking. But I don't hold back because she might worry, or that my mother might worry, or that my father might scowl at doing things different from how he learned them, or that my brother will make innaccurate comparisons about it. I simply climb, which is all I can really hope for. The only reason I'll pull back is because what I say to me. Not anything else.

toejam

Aug 8, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend taught me to climb, and she has a tendency to run it out. So, no.

rcaret

Aug 8, 2003, 5:37 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found myself takeing less chances just because of getting older and not healing as fast as I did in my youth . :mrgreen:

blueeyedclimber

Aug 8, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a 5 year-old daughter before I even started climbing. Overall, I would say I am definitely more cautious than when I was younger but I still like to push myself (see wonderwoman's post above). In both those falls, I was aware of the risk but knew my life was not in danger, so I went for it and got burned.

Josh

crag

Aug 8, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing since 1981. I've been with the same woman since 1983. We have two children together. I have more love in my life than I ever expected. I have all the modern day incumbrances a man could ask for. I also have enjoyed a life style that I thought I would never have.

I also am still very short sighted and at time very narrow minded. I have, still and will continue to push myself in terms of my climbing with out regard for others. This is not tot say I don't back off of climbs, but I've always back off of climbs.

Last summer I felt like I needed to solo so I went out and soloed a bunch of 4s, & 5s I've done a hundred times, ya know what???? It felt great! Did I feel stupid and selfish afterwards, sure I did. Would I do it again? Most likely.

Climbing is great, it is also as about as selfish and self centered thing that I do. Pick-up the latest issue of OUTSIDE Magazine and just open it to page 98 and look at the two page spread picture. It made me feel like sh*t. Am I going to change, most likely not.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook