RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

lollipopchic

Aug 12, 2003, 8:11 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Go see my first photo!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well just uploaded my first RC.com photo ever, so here's your chance to see it!!:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=16507

Tell me what you think, though I don't think I'm very good at taking photos so its probably pretty avg...

cthcrockclimber

Aug 12, 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Re: Go see my first photo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not bad at all, film/camera quailty is alittle sub-par and some more movement/action would be nice.

thomasribiere

Aug 14, 2003, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

colours are good maybe to saturated, the climber is ALL dark (too dark) but it's not that important as he's not really in action, I find this picture just SIMPLE and PLEASANT to look at. I think I gave it a 7 and maybe even an 8?

lollipopchic

Aug 15, 2003, 8:39 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys,
thanks for the comments. The pic was taken with one of those automatic point and snap cameras, nothing fancy! don't really know what underexposure, colour saturation etc means, as you can see i don't think i'm going to become a photographer!! I'm just hoping to put some more pics of Western Australian climbing spots so other people can get a feel for the place. Hopefully next time I can get closer shots (was only me and my brother climbing so was rather limited).

sushislayer

Aug 15, 2003, 8:50 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest moving your subject away from the center of the frame. It makes for a more dynamic photo. In the shot you have posted, if you cropped the bottom off so that the climber is in the bottom third, it would look more asthetically pleasing. They call it "the rule of thirds." Basically, you want to divide your fram into thirds (like a tic-tac-toe grid) and put your subjects along the lines that make up the thirds. An intersection of thirds is even better.

As with all "rules" there are times when things look better when the "rule" is broken. This is a good rule of thumb though and used widely. Just look for it when you next watch a movie!

Happy shooting and climbing!

Sushi.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook