Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

blotched

Aug 9, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #1 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Dehydration
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any experiences of dehydration on the wall out there??
If so, what happened?

tanner

Aug 9, 2003, 6:30 AM
Post #2 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dehydration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been seriously dehidrated climbing. But I have been dehidrated/ minor heat stroke before tree planting. Its bad enough on the ground I would be very afraid of it way off the deck. When I had it I had a hard time walking and talking. I wasn't able to focus on anything at all. I eventatly just fainted and came to a short time later. The rest of that day I was a right off sitting under a space blanket. It took a few days to fully rehydrate my self. Here is the thing, I drank 3L of water that day and it wasn't enough. The rest of the season I drank 6-10L of h2o a day in hot weather.

I think the most important thing is prehydrating. Drink LOTS of water the day and night before your on the wall or in the sun and consume extra salt. The water you drink during the day just replaces the water you drank the day before

Also drink lots of water early. In a day of planting in hot weather I would try to drink at least 2L before noon or as much as I could. It can become hard to drink lots of water when its really hot.
Drink often and not just when you thursty.
Don't try to save water if you only have a little left (most people that die of dehydration die with water in there water bottle)
If you use sports drinks chase them with lots of water, drinking all sports drinks will make you sick before they hydrate you.

I hope that helps.

Drink and be marry,

collegekid

Aug 9, 2003, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one time i was climbing and i got thirsty. I mean, who wouldn't? it was hot outside!!!!

reno

Aug 9, 2003, 7:01 AM
Post #4 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the most important thing is prehydrating. Drink LOTS of water the day and night before your on the wall or in the sun and consume extra salt.

Do *NOT* consume "extra" salt. Most probably, you get enough salt in your regular diet. Extra will do no good.

Do, however, drink plenty of water the previous two days... lots of it. If you ain't peeing clear,you ain't drinking enough water.

Save the Gatorade/Sportade, etc. for *after* the climbing.

And, as much as I hate to say this.... stay away from excessive alcohol and caffine.

rcaret

Aug 9, 2003, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Complaints of mussel and joint aches , Lack of energy or over all fatigue are probably due to dehydration and indicate some early signs , Your lips crack and bleed , your eyes burn or feel like the have sandpaper against them ,It gets impossible to swallow , You develop a fever like condition due to a lack of perspiration your thought process fogs making it hard to make decisions , You feel like you need to urinate but cant , If you or someone gets dehydrated remember only to sip watter do not drink heavily or guzzle.At the other extreme lies the risk of blood dilution due to over hydration. Someone who drinks too much water over an extended period of time may lower the concentration of electrolytes in the blood, resulting in impaired nervous system function and ultimately death.

reno

Aug 9, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #6 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you or someone gets dehydrated remember only to sip watter do not drink heavily or guzzle this will cause the blood to thin and you can literally die because your blood will thin to the point your heart can't pump any more .

What? :?

I'd love to know where you heard/read/learned this, as it simply is not true.

Sipping is better than guzzling, but only because guzzling can cause you to vomit, which defeats the whole purpose.

dirtineye

Aug 10, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #7 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here we go again... is this the twilight zone?

Do a search on heat stroke and heat prostration, draw your own conclusions.

The gatorade folks ( at the gator ade hotline) wil tell you gatorade is all you need, I asked em.

The trainers I had in college told us to go easy on the gator ade and drink water.

You can drink too much water, but drinking too little is worse.

There are a bunch of links to interesting articles and sites in this thread:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36229

The trainers statement part 12 especially is the most concise about sport drinks, water and adding salt. They make it pretty clear that if you eat normally you have enough sodium unless you are doing strenuous exercise for a long time or are out of condition, but read it all for yourself.

Oh yeah, I got dehydrated once at Twall spring before last, it was very strange, the day was waarm and windy, it was actually hotter than it felt. I wasn't feeling much need to drink water. Then at the end of the day, in camp, I sort of almost collapsed. IT took til the next day to get over it, adn I wasn;t eve nthat dehydrated. IT sneaks up on you, and by the time you know yo uare dehydrated, you are stuck with it for a good while.

SOme of the articles bear out that it takes more than a little fluid of any kind to get you back to speed, it takes time too.

blotched

Aug 10, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #8 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info dirt.

J.

karmaklimber

Aug 10, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #9 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I've been taught and told is to really listen to your body and use it to gauge yourself. If you've been baking in the sun all day and have only consumed 2 small Arrowhead-sized bottles of water and still haven't taken a pee, then chances are, you're probably dehydrated, not so much to the severe state as mentioned above, but you could definately use a drink or two. If you do take a leak, what color is it? The rule of thumb I've been brought up w/ was the deeper, darker yellow it is, the more you need to drink.

Then there are also feelings aside from that, like lack of energy, fatigue, etc...

overlord

Aug 11, 2003, 11:53 AM
Post #10 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i usually bring enough water, but once i got really dizzy and couldnt really focus my sight and i immediately rad to the shadow of and drank some salty water with sugar. i wasnt able to really climb anymore that day.

joegoesup

Aug 11, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #11 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I start to get leg and arm cramps bad if i get too dehydrated. I try to keep the water flowing all day.

baalzimon

Aug 11, 2003, 9:46 PM
Post #12 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I think the most important thing is prehydrating. Drink LOTS of water the day and night before your on the wall or in the sun and consume extra salt.

Do *NOT* consume "extra" salt. Most probably, you get enough salt in your regular diet. Extra will do no good.

Do, however, drink plenty of water the previous two days... lots of it. If you ain't peeing clear,you ain't drinking enough water.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong (assuming you mean electrolytes when you say "salt"). If your electrolytes are depleted, you can feel symptoms that are almost like that of dehydration. then you drink more water, and pee, which dilutes and removes even more electrolytes from your body, making the problem worse. Cytomax, not gatorade/powerade, has worked wonders for me since i started using it.

longalong

Aug 11, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #13 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Sorry Reno, it's better to have too much salt then to little. I was in the Military and we were forced to put our salt packets, in our MRE's, on our meals. If you know anything about MRE's there is more sodium in them then you could imagine. With the amount of water you need to drink to stay hydrated in real heat you need to over due the salt to make sure you don't flush the system of electrolytes.

In reply to:

I'd rather have to treat someone who hasn't drank enough water then too much(ie flushing their system). If you find this hard to believe let me know and I'll explain.

blotched

Aug 12, 2003, 1:50 AM
Post #14 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't find it hard to believe, but I would like an explanation. :lol:

Partner philbox

Aug 12, 2003, 1:57 AM
Post #15 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the article listed here.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...cles/view.php?ID=108

aznrockclimber82

Aug 12, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #16 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok people....one gallon a day.....keeps all the dehydration away....peace.

Steve - Gecko

petsfed

Aug 12, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #17 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Complaints of mussel and joint aches , Lack of energy or over all fatigue are probably due to dehydration and indicate some early signs , Your lips crack and bleed , your eyes burn or feel like the have sandpaper against them ,It gets impossible to swallow , You develop a fever like condition due to a lack of perspiration your thought process fogs making it hard to make decisions , You feel like you need to urinate but cant , If you or someone gets dehydrated remember only to sip watter do not drink heavily or guzzle this will cause the blood to thin and you can literally die because your blood will thin to the point your heart can't pump any more .

Close to the truth, but not quite. I'm no nutrition scientist (you should ask jt512 for accurate answers on this) but as I recall, "water intoxication" as its called is simply dangerously low electrolyte levels. That is, you consume 3 or 4 gallons of water, work hard, and don't consume any sugar or salt, leaving your body hurting pretty bad. Its one of the ways Ecstasy kills. You get mad dehyrdrated, but you forget to eat anything with all the water you're drinking afterwards.

joeschmoe

Aug 12, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #18 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found i'm one of those weird types that functions pretty well both dehydrated and low on food, but for me when i'm getting dehyrdated just water wont cut it. the water just sloshes around in my belly and makes me wanna puke, but if i throw even a squirt of lemon in the water no more sloshing and it actually seems to absorb faster. So when i head out i take a bottle of gatorade drink it on the road, then have my gallon of water to chug a lug as i need while i'm climbing.

neeshman

Aug 12, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #19 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, about the drinking water in sips, not gulps portion. According to Camelbak (I think... pretty sure... yes) sipping at a frequent rate is way better for you than drinking bigger gulps at a not-so frequent rate. Here is something from their site (an exact quote)

"The key to assimilating water and staying properly hydrated is to drink water continually, a little bit at a time, the cooler the better. Your body can absorb only about a liter of water per hour, which is often less than you're losing."

One of the major reasons that Camelbak came around is because the Bikers were sick of reaching for a water bottle all the time so they could stay hydrated. It is considerably more efficient to turn your head and grab that little sip than to reach for a water bottle, drink and put it back. So yeah.... TAKE THAT!!! :x :twisted: :x (totally kidding) Bye!

longalong

Aug 12, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #20 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'd rather have to treat someone who hasn't drank enough water then too much(ie flushing their system). If you find this hard to believe let me know and I'll explain.
In reply to:
I don't find it hard to believe, but I would like an explanation.

Blotched, why it is easier to treat a heat injury when someone hasn't drank enough. In short, in this case you can Rx them by slow controlled rehydration. You can also at this point, if available, do rehydration by IV's which does the most help(this being the main reason it's easier). on the other hand, in short, if you have patient who has flushed their system and has a heat injury the tables turn. at this point IV's no longer do any good since they'll flush the system more. with this patient you need to bring back up the electrolytes. this can be a difficult task depending on the state of the patient I've seen worse case scenario for both ends of the spectrum. They both are not pleasant to see but over hydrated people have always been harder to treat.

longalong

Aug 12, 2003, 6:06 PM
Post #21 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"The key to assimilating water and staying properly hydrated is to drink water continually, a little bit at a time, the cooler the better. Your body can absorb only about a liter of water per hour, which is often less than you're losing."

I know this isn't your quote neeshman. I agree with everything you said and almost everything Camelbak says. There may be a little controversy about the cooler the water the better. If you drink room temperature water instead of ice cold water, room temp water will get to your system sooner. It does this for the fact that your body doesn't have to spend as much time and energy to turn that water into your core temperature. I know in real hot weather a cold drink sounds like best thing. however it's actually better to drink room temp drinks. It acclimates your core temp to the outside temp easier.

maf

Aug 12, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #22 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of incorrect information in this thread. My advice is to ignore the whole mess and find a legitimate source of information! The gatorade web site is a decent start, but I think they underemphasize the role of electrolyte loss. Electrolyte loss is often responsible for perceived fatigue, gastric distress, cramps, and blisters. There are several good electrolyte supplements out there- try
http://www.ultrafit-endurance.com/succeedcaps.html

MAF

rcaret

Aug 13, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #23 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the confusion , What I meant to state was ,At the other extreme lies the risk of blood dilution due to over hydration. Someone who drinks too much water over an extended period of time may lower the concentration of electrolytes in the blood, resulting in impaired nervous system function and ultimately death.

dirtineye

Aug 13, 2003, 6:50 AM
Post #24 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About the too little water vs too much, drinking too little in hot weather can lead to heat stroke, people have died from heat stroke, have many people died from drinking too much water?

The cooling problem with heat stroke in a wilderness setting seems worse than drinking too much water, in fact, I wonder if in a climbing scenario you could find examples of people drinking so much that they have a serious medical problem, one as serious as heat stroke caused in part by drinking too little?

If you are talking about marathons and triathlons where there are facilities for treatment as well as the chance to seriously over drink that would be different

sixter

Aug 13, 2003, 8:02 AM
Post #25 of 59 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of incorrect information in this thread. My advice is to ignore the whole mess and find a legitimate source of information! The gatorade web site is a decent start, but I think they underemphasize the role of electrolyte loss. Electrolyte loss is often responsible for perceived fatigue, gastric distress, cramps, and blisters. There are several good electrolyte supplements out there- try
http://www.ultrafit-endurance.com/succeedcaps.html

MAF

Ok, I am probably in the minority with Gatorade, and all the other highly pushed commercial drinks out there. I don't use them. I have wanted to puke after taking a slug of gatorade. I have also had the same reaction at times to just plain water. I do better with water and a slice or two of lemon. One of the most interesting websites I have found information on the science of rehydration is at the Gookinaid website. Especially interesting to read are "The Science of Rehydration" and "Why Electrolyte Drinks".
http://www.gookinaid.com

I have used Gookinaid, and I really like it. It really seems to work as they say it does.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook