RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Aug 25, 2003, 4:45 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

better or worse lifestyle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's my situation

I am a college graduate who was on a great career path. I had a nice place to live and made decent money. Perfect situation for someone in their late 20's. Now I will be thirty by the end of the year, I live in my moms basement, I climb daily and work at a climbing gym.

Am I a punk or are you envious? Is there anyone else out there in a similar situationi?

Partner tim

Aug 25, 2003, 4:49 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Re: better or worse lifestyle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's my situation

I am a college graduate who was on a great career path. I had a nice place to live and made decent money. Perfect situation for someone in their late 20's. Now I will be thirty by the end of the year, I live in my moms basement, I climb daily and work at a climbing gym.

Am I a punk or are you envious? Is there anyone else out there in a similar situationi?

did you hate the job? do you hate the new job?

if the answers are "yes" and "no" it sounds like you did fine. no kids to support? make your own decisions. if your folks will have you, then by all means stay with them. could make it tougher to shack up though.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 25, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you haven't met someone you can't live without, that's the perfect situation! :D

fryinbacon

Aug 25, 2003, 5:03 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can your parents take me in, mine are getting sick of me

climbingbetty22

Aug 25, 2003, 5:03 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it helps, I'm in the same boat. I have a degree in biochemistry. I could be working a lab job and making some good money, living in my own place. Instead, I'm spending the rest of my cash on a trip to Yosemite, and afterwards coming home to live with my folks...

As for getting laid, you can still do it, just do it at their place. :lol:

enigma

Aug 25, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

--The bottom line Are U Happy and Satisfied???? :?: You are the best judge .

traddad

Aug 25, 2003, 1:04 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it while you're young (unless you're Jim Donini) because as soon as you get married, buy a house and have kids, it all will end. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and would have it no other way, but sometimes I miss my fomer life as a dirtbag skydiver/bike racer/kayaker.
Sometimes I miss it a lot.

hombre_x

Aug 25, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I found there have been two times in my short lifespan where I've really had to sit down and reprioritize how I'm living and what I'm doing with myself. I find I'm always pushing myself to do something; it just boils down to pushing myself in the right direction. If you think you're right, then you are. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Luke

allarounder

Aug 25, 2003, 4:20 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, at least live in someone else's basement. 30, living with the folkss? don;t mean to judge, but - ack.

vertical_reality

Aug 25, 2003, 4:29 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you seriously asking if people are envisous?
Of course we're not. You're 30 and, living at home with your parents.

I may not be able to climb all day but I don't have a curfew either. :lol:

thelawgoddess

Aug 25, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a law degree but i'm not using it at all. in the winters i try to do something related to skiing, usually volunteering time to events to earn free lift tickets and working some lame poor-paying job to pay my rent. and in the summer i try to work in the outdoor industry, but it's difficult to find jobs there. right now i'm taking advantage of piddly unemployment checks i earned at a temp job this spring while i go climbing. i hate being poor, but having the freedom and time to pursue the activities i enjoy means more to me. you're lucky you get to live at home -- my parents don't live anywhere near any good climbing or skiing!

mreardon

Aug 25, 2003, 5:00 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
as soon as you get married, buy a house and have kids, it all will end.

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully the drinking and beating the wife because you gave up on life will ease the jail sentance :D

As for the original post - Nut up and at least get out on the road and live out of the car and get some life experience in you. Right now all you're doing is skipping out on life by being lazy and not climbing any harder than if you had a job and paid rent. You work in a climbing gym - you aren't improving your climbing.

maculated

Aug 25, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for the original post - Nut up and at least get out on the road and live out of the car and get some life experience in you. Right now all you're doing is skipping out on life by being lazy and not climbing any harder than if you had a job and paid rent. You work in a climbing gym - you aren't improving your climbing.

Word. I can't respect someone who isn't at least on their own and dirtbagging.

redpoint73

Aug 25, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Right now all you're doing is skipping out on life by being lazy and not climbing any harder than if you had a job and paid rent. You work in a climbing gym - you aren't improving your climbing.

He said he climbed daily, and worked in a gym. He didn't neccesarily ay that he climbed in the gym daily. Maybe, maybe not. He's from Utah, so my bet is that he means outside.

wildtrail

Aug 25, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I a punk or are you envious?

Neither. You made the situation that is best for you.

I gave up management and a 60-65k a year job to make absolutely nothing to follow my dreams as a writer. If it wasn't for my wife, I wouldn't be doing this and if it wasn't for my wife, I'd be living in a van down by the river. :wink:

thelawgoddess

Aug 25, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Word. I can't respect someone who isn't at least on their own and dirtbagging.

some people are lucky enough to be able to afford to dirtbag all the time; most people can't. at least by living with his parents he can maybe afford to buy some not-very-cheap gear and save up money for a roadtrip.

redpoint73

Aug 25, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just had a conversation about this topic with my climbing pals yesterday. We know of a few different folks who gave up their 9 to 5 careers in favor of a more relaxed lifestyle, including working as guides, SAR (search and rescue), ski patrol. Some left the big city for the mountains, and more rural surroundings. Paying the bills and making ends meet seems to be a bit of an concern for them (they don't live with their parents), though not a huge one. These individuals are reportedly very happy with their lifestyle and glad that they left their "real world" jobs.

My big questions are 1) What about health insurance, and 2) What happens when you get older (retirement)? I'm sure most of us would like to pretend that we are not worried about something that far away. But the fact remains that you need to start saving ***now*** unless you want to work for the rest of your life. Now I know of at least one 70+ year old guide, and I would love to climb until I die of old age. But unfortunately that is not possible for everyone. You don't want to be flipping burgers or working at Wal-Mart when you are 70.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook