Premier Sponsor:

c-horse
Deleted

Feb 7, 2002, 7:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Shutter priority or aperture priority?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been taking digital photos since 97 with a kodak dc210 (1MP, point& shoot) - and I've taken a handfull of good shots, mostly thru luck. I broke down and splurged on a nikon cp5000, and I'm trying to learn all the bells and whistles now. This question is about strategy for taking climbing photos.

Some things that I like in climbing photos : the look of concentration as someone makes their move. Technical beta-capture (that awesome stem, the wicked egyptian, the three finger open grip sloper pocket, etc).

There's more stuff that I like, but for this type of shot, I'm wondering what the right strategy is for setting up the shots.

My sophomoric guess is that I want to drive with shutter priority (setting it to 1/125 or maybe up to 1/1000, if it's really sunny, so that I don't wash out highlights), and let the camera figure out aperture for me. I'm not worried about depth of field right now - if I need to, I can blur the background in PS later. I also imagine that fill-flash may be important (high noon shadows and such).

So, photo-gurus : what am I missing? And am I just a little off, or do I need to find a new crack supplier?

tia
C

ps: yes, I am reading about photography, and trying to learn the art by taking tons of photos, etc. This weekend will be "step one" down that path. Just trying to get an idea about how to approach it for the first weekend.
c

marcsv

Feb 7, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Shutter priority or aperture priority? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to capture the dynamics of climbing (specially the fast ones) the shutter priority is the way to go. if you're thinking of using fill flash try relfected light as a substitute fill light.

i'm a "detail' guy so i go for the aperture priority i like the effect more, i tend to set my f/stop to the smallest setting.

if you really want to study photography i suggest you get a manual camera so you'll have total artistic control (and you'll understand the principles )

Partner sauron

Feb 7, 2002, 2:35 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A website that can teach you a lot of stuff, is photo.net - there's TONS of information on all different aspects of photography, and somewhere in there I found stuff about aperture priority vs. shutter priority...

Basically, it boils down to "what do you want to shoot" - I tend to do a lot of shooting using aperture priority - and typically with a large aperture (for a narrow DOF) - since portraiture is one of my favourites. However, as mentioned before - if you need to capture the dynamics of something - maybe someone's throwing a killer dyno, you set the camera to shutter priority, and mash that shutter release...

- d.

saltspringer

Feb 7, 2002, 6:19 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless the light conditions are changing drastically while you're shooting, there's no need to use either aperture or shutter priority! Just set your camera once according to the meter reading and then compensate as you see fit: this is the great advantage of the digital cameras, the ability to preview pics on-site. Relinquishing control to your cameras automatic settings is reducing the likelyhood of a great shot! Practice setting the camera manually on some mundane subjects and see what kind of results you get and then apply those results to your climbing photos

krillen

Feb 8, 2002, 1:56 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TO further the comment above there's a great article on shooting sports shots at photo.net

here's the exact address.

http://www.photo.net/photo/sports/overview

really helped me, because I could pull out teh pertinent information, and get a feel for the rest. Good luck!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook