Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Adding Artificial Boulders to a Boulderfield?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

tenn_dawg

Oct 9, 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Adding Artificial Boulders to a Boulderfield?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a repost from the SEClimbers message board. I'm curious what you guys think about it. I'll leave my personal opinion out for the moment.

Unfortunately, this is NOT a troll

In reply to:
A local climber and sculptor has recently constructed a 13 ft. tall boulder in his backyard. Today at the trail day, we talked about trying to construct a boulder to sort of replace the killer boulder that was destroyed across the street. This boulder had a splitter crack and was a 3 star gem. What would you all think of constructing a boulder within the boat rock tract, away from the other boulders (maybe near the parking lot and road)? Many of you remember this boulder and know it was a big loss.

This boulder could be of similar (or more kind) texture, have a great finger crack (or whatever people want added), be of similar color as the other boat rock boulder and blend in with the environment. The construction would be heavy duty and not have a clunky look or feel. A mock-up scaled down version would be constructed first for public review and comment. There would be no bolt on holds or weird colors. The cost is about $1000 for materials and local donors could easily front that amount. Every effort to match color, texture, shape and sizing would be undertaken.

Your constructive thoughts would be very appreciated.

A little background. Boat Rock is a bouldering area outside of Atlanta that was recently purchaced by a developer, and several of the boulders were destroyed to make way for progress. The SCC purchaced at tract of land that contained many boulders thus saving them. The quote above is directly related.

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 9, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adding Artificial Boulders to a Boulderfield? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

at first i was tot. opposed but as i read on and thought more i don't think it would really be that bad so long as it was right next to the parking lot and not right in the middle of the woods.. that seems like it would be littering. i don't know. i guess i just wish i had one in my back yard....

braon

Oct 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds kind of like what they have in front of the REI flagship store in Denver. I have to agree with one900johnnyk. Keep it next to the parking lot in some area that's already been developed. Could be a tribute to some bada$$ boulder that died an untimely death.

socalbolter

Oct 9, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on a related note:

a few years back, a toll road was constucted (hwy 241) in orange county, ca.

a portion of the new road connects through a natural pass down to the 91 fwy. there are several natural rock outcroppings in this pass. one in particular had sentimental meaning to the person who sold the land and facilitated the development deal. during the grading needed to construct the road this large boulder toppled from the ridgetop above. this indidivual died before the road was opened to the public and in tribute the contractor re-constructed the boulder up on the ridge using old photos. it's serves no purpose other than visual, and most people that drive by it don't know it's fake.

bertman

Oct 10, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
on a related note:

a few years back, a toll road was constucted (hwy 241) in orange county, ca.

a portion of the new road connects through a natural pass down to the 91 fwy. there are several natural rock outcroppings in this pass. one in particular had sentimental meaning to the person who sold the land and facilitated the development deal. during the grading needed to construct the road this large boulder toppled from the ridgetop above. this indidivual died before the road was opened to the public and in tribute the contractor re-constructed the boulder up on the ridge using old photos. it's serves no purpose other than visual, and most people that drive by it don't know it's fake.

wow.

anyway, how would someone go about uhh... building one of these things in their backyard? :)

thehardnailer

Oct 10, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be a d#ck head or anything, but are you guy's that hard up for rock? Iv'e never been to the area so I don't know how many boulders or cliffs you have but it seems strange....... :?

joeschmoe

Oct 10, 2003, 1:15 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its not necessarily about being hard up, its about attempting to rebuild something that 'progress' has f*'d up.

no_limit

Oct 10, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boat Rock already has a ton of boulders why add a fake one?

tsunamibomb

Oct 10, 2003, 4:08 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it's sad that all the boulders are getting blown up... We were there a few weeks ago and saw some of them explode. But building a fake one? Maybe if that particular boulder it's made after was like, the best ever.. but there are tons of boulders at Boat Rock still, definitely not a shortage. I'd say the guy opens up his own business and makes them for people, to put in their yards. I'D BUY ONE. For sure.

bigfoot

Oct 10, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sucks that boulders get destroyed, but if you want to climb fake stuff you should go to the gym. Building fake walls and chipping holds into walls to make them harder or easier defeats the purpose of climbing. I climb because of a deep desire to reach nature's heights, I want to see the world and take on the challenge of ascending a natural feature using only my body. Climbing should be sought out, not produced unnaturally, especially in areas where natural rock exists. I don't think I would enjoy a fake climb, outside at least, when I go outside I go for the experience of climbing on real rock, which, at least in my experience, is impossible to completely simulate.

tarp

Oct 10, 2003, 5:15 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't that be like placing a blow up doll at the Miss Nude America pageant? Sure you can climb on it, but what's the point???

koko

Oct 10, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't that be like placing a blow up doll at the Miss Nude America pageant? Sure you can climb on it, but what's the point

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook