Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
NM bouldering
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dwm81281

Oct 15, 2003, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

NM bouldering  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking at long weekend of part business/part pleasure in Sante Fe. What's the best place to go bouldering that fairly close and easy to get to from there? I have no knowledge of Sante Fe or New Mexico. Any guidebooks worth purchasing?

Thanks.

wyattearp

Oct 25, 2003, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Re: NM bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you should look at the areas listed for Santa Fe. Try going to Apache Canyon Or Cactus Heaven, on the roy mesa there are gems everywhere, quite a mecca if you know where to look and if you have a 4WD!

dwm81281

Oct 29, 2003, 3:18 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you give me some indication of how far (distance or time) some of the Santa Fe areas are from town. I have yet to visit New Mexico and know basically nothing about the area.

Thanks.

joens

Oct 29, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where is the roy mesa ?

wyattearp

Oct 29, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted:Anywhere from 30 min to 45 min. THe roy mesa is out past the Cactus Heaven Area. You will see some large powerlines out in the area. If you follow them they will lead you to The Powerlines(highball heaven) or to the Grotto. ITs best to have a truck to get out there quickly but we managed to take my friend Jordans huge painting van down there with 2 King size mattresses to give the ultimate landing on the grottos immense overhang. Where the top outs reach 20-25 feet. Go explore and you will find these spots plus more. I would guess that jordan and I know of about 10-12 bouldering areas all around santa fe. You gotta be creative and explore. Thats half the fun of it, finding your own secret area and then being able to open it up and get some hard climbers repeating the classics that have already been set up. Go check it out. We have had one guy come out there who is used to climbing at HP40 in Alabama and all the great sandstone places of the South. But he had never seen an overhang like this with features, and possibly some of the hardest and best undone lines in the country. Even Tommy Cldwell and Beth Rodden have gotten word of this place and now we just need them to visit. So come check it out.

wyattearp

Oct 29, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anywhere from 30 min to 45 min. THe roy mesa is out past the Cactus Heaven Area. You will see some large powerlines out in the area. If you follow them they will lead you to The Powerlines(highball heaven) or to the Grotto. ITs best to have a truck to get out there quickly but we managed to take my friend Jordans huge painting van down there with 2 King size mattresses to give the ultimate landing on the grottos immense overhang. Where the top outs reach 20-25 feet. Go explore and you will find these spots plus more. I would guess that jordan and I know of about 10-12 bouldering areas all around santa fe. You gotta be creative and explore. Thats half the fun of it, finding your own secret area and then being able to open it up and get some hard climbers repeating the classics that have already been set up. Go check it out. We have had one guy come out there who is used to climbing at HP40 in Alabama and all the great sandstone places of the South. But he had never seen an overhang like this with features, and possibly some of the hardest and best undone lines in the country. Even Tommy Cldwell and Beth Rodden have gotten word of this place and now we just need them to visit. So come check it out.

joens

Oct 29, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks wyattearp I live just across the line into the texas panhandle .I am due for a road trip I was thinking of going that directions one of these weekends .I have a 4wd truck though I would rather not wreck it. :cry:

markd

Oct 29, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best bouldering IMO in New Mexico is City Of Rocks. Unfortunately it's in the southern part of the state so that won't help you much.

dwm81281

Oct 29, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I echo the thanks. My wife's working on her MA thesis research so hopefully she will cover the business part of that weekend and I'll hog the pleasure! 8)

wyattearp

Oct 30, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that city of rocks had the most abundance of boulders in the state, But it is nowwhere near as good as people think. I have found plenty of other areas that are far more interesting to climb and just as good but even better. Sorry to burst your bubble but city of Rocks is not the best go explore the bad lands of northern new mexico, and there is far more abundance of rock as well as many different kinds, sandstone and limestone, etc.. City of Rocks id so sharp due to its volcanic origin. You can easily pull a nasty flapper easy, basically making the trip not as fun. Santa fe is the place, far better than anything I have seen elsewhere in the state.

cchildre

May 7, 2004, 2:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not big into bouldering. I do know that Los Alamos (30 min drive) and White Rock have some of New Mexico's finest climbing. I know they have some boulder problems and alot of toprope and sport climbs. Probably close to 50-60 routes off the road with little to no hike. If I were in SF I would be headed up to the birthplace of the BOMB! Enjoy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook