RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rendog

Oct 15, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

going ice climbing tomorrow. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

if I have a partner cool if not...solo

god I love this sport

andypro

Oct 15, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #2 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Re: almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
going ice climbing tomorrow. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

god I love this sport

I hate you :cry: It was 65 today...

tradkelly

Oct 15, 2003, 2:41 AM
Post #3 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still a month out here, 'cuz I can't even think about Smear of Fear... :( I'm so diggin' that by Turkey Day it's gonna be good in Silverton, and mixed in the Park by mid-Dec!!!! Have fun up there, dude!!! Send us drooly pictures and make us feel bad for still doing easy rock!

kman

Oct 15, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I AM ALMOST ON THE WAY DUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!! Have fun eh!!

rendog

Oct 15, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will Kman. nobody wanted to step up today so it's all by myslef which is cool 'cause both times that I've climbed it were by myself anyway.

hey andypro... you wouldn't hate me so much if you get out to the canadain rockies and have some real fun and leave that east coast crap in the rearview mirror. (I'm from Nova Scotia originally btw so I know how it can be out that way)

:twisted:

hammer_

Oct 15, 2003, 4:08 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Rendog what route are you goin' to climb!!? It's nothing like last season out there, I hope you plan on heading to the parkway.

overlord

Oct 15, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehehe, i hope ill be able to get some quality time this weekend too :P

rendog

Oct 15, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to do R&D.

it's thin that's sfor sure. i went up there climbed about the first 20' of ice then something in the back of my head so no. then the ice gave out a really bad groan so i down climbed (fuk I hate doing that) packed up my $hit and went home.

there is A LOT of new avie debris on the trail up. I tried to clear out as much of it as I could (some of the big stuff was reall twisted into the standing trees), so it will make the trail up a bit easier for some.

I figure a couple more days and the first curtain should be consolidated enough to get up. right now it's pretty chandelliery and grey. it looks a lot better from the road then it does up close.

Lone ranger is up, so is Chalice and blade. ( i don't think chalice will go just yet but is forming up nicely). Also, Drip at the Centre of the Universe is forming up. it has a mixed section up high just above the middle. Trick or Treat and the pillar to the left of it looks formed from the road w/o binoculars. hmmmmmmm might have to take my gear out for another walk and go check those out.

anybody wanna go for a hike?

kman

Oct 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I DO!!!! I want to go for a hike. DAMN!! Must...find...job....sooooon!!

xcire

Oct 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

god I love this sport

I hate you :cry: It was 65 today...

it should bee100 this weekend we may have halloween in the triple digits

rendog

Oct 16, 2003, 1:01 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it should bee100 this weekend we may have halloween in the triple digits

good god that';s just plain wrong .

unless you like climbing rock that is. but now IT'S ICE TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pico23

Oct 16, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
leave that east coast crap in the rearview mirror. (I'm from Nova Scotia originally btw so I know how it can be out that way)

While I'll admit i'd love some long ice climbs (i'm talking stuff in the 1000+ foot range), the east coast is not hardly terrible for an ice enthusiast. Aside from length of climbs we have a good selection of climbs from NEI 1-6 with harder stuff in Quebec and a nice long and generally consistent ice season not troubled by snowfall and avalanches. It seems like out west most areas get some early season ice and then some late season consolidated snow climbing but not too much mid season technical ice.

I could be wrong but i've got to think this is one of the best natural ice climbing venues in the US. I think your confusing temperate maritime Nova Scotia with the rest of the Northeasern US climate. The maritime areas are just a bit more temperate and as such I'm sure have a very short and inconsistent ice season.

andypro

Oct 16, 2003, 5:49 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey andypro... you wouldn't hate me so much if you get out to the canadain rockies and have some real fun and leave that east coast crap in the rearview mirror. (I'm from Nova Scotia originally btw so I know how it can be out that way)

Your probably right :lol: I dont like it here, gotta move somewhere else. I have to wait till school is done though. Next may should be my release date from this prison that is WNY.

We dont have BAD ice here. I'ts jsut usully SHORT ice. Most routes I do are maybe a half pitch at best. I'd probably wet myself on the big stuff :wink: But I'll get there one of these days. Now I Just have to figure out where to move.

pico23

Oct 16, 2003, 7:09 AM
Post #14 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Your probably right :lol: I dont like it here, gotta move somewhere else. I have to wait till school is done though. Next may should be my release date from this prison that is WNY.

We dont have BAD ice here. I'ts jsut usully SHORT ice. Most routes I do are maybe a half pitch at best. I'd probably wet myself on the big stuff :wink: But I'll get there one of these days. Now I Just have to figure out where to move.

Andy are you in rochester or buffalo? Either way I feel for you. Not much in the way ice climbing out there. And the finger lakes are your closest real ice but most of that stuff is illegal to climb. I spent a weekend not that long ago near ithaca on our way to niagara falls, and I was salivating at the prospect of all those finger lakes waterfalls freezing over but from my understanding either they don't freeze or people just don't make too much noise about climbing them do to legal/access issues.

But from where you are it's a trip to any good legal ice. You might check out the Salmon River Gorge which is legal to climb at and offers some long routes in the 300ft range.

My condolenses for living in the worst part of NY state.

andypro

Oct 16, 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live jsut outside of buffalo. Suburb called cheektowaga. Usuallly I'll head down to Zoar Valley, but that's really the best place I know of within 2 hours or so. Even the rock sucks. Gotta head into canada for anyhitng really decent. Cant wait till I move!

capn_morgan

Oct 16, 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice.....I cant wait. Have been keeping an eye on neice.com. This should be a good season.

hammer_

Oct 16, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="rendog"]I went to do R&D.

it's thin that's sfor sure. i went up there climbed about the first 20' of ice then something in the back of my head so no. then the ice gave out a really bad groan so i down climbed (fuk I hate doing that) packed up my $hit and went home. quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I did last year on around oct 4 or 5. But hey, atleast you got to sink your tools into some ice! that's more than I've done so far.

Last sunday I went to check out Marshall arts (extremely thin) Moonshadow gully (1/3 down) and King creek (extremely thin). I bet that the stuff behind fortress will be climbable by saturday! Maybe I'll see ya there.

rendog

Oct 16, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope not on saturday. damn dentist...I kill him

sunday and monday though for sure I'll be out

stevo

Oct 17, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, you said the drip at the centre of the universe is coming in. I have to hit that up if it forms, hopefully soon, cause I will be outta here soon.
I got turned away from the summit this summer on birdwood at the top of the drip gulley, where it meets up with lizzie's ridge. We decided not to bring axes and crampons, we finished the ridge, but the last bit you needed the gear and we were, well ...fucted. So I would love to hit the summit, and the drip, what an amazing line.
I have to check this out, I am off to athabasca this wknd, doing a north ridge/north face variation the warden told me about. Sounded cool

rockprodigy

Oct 20, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #20 of 20 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was 80 F at the mouth of Little Cottonwood yesterday, here in Utah.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook