Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbhigh2005

Oct 23, 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #1 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Most admired female climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Who do you girls think is the best female climber? Or who do you admire most? I have to say #1 for me is Beth Rodden Caldwell... and I am looking forward to seeing her in person next weekend! =) also, I am reading a book on Lynn Hill, and she is really impressive!!

climbhigh2005

Oct 28, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Most admired female climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone?

Partner missedyno

Oct 28, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #3 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i read this post a while back, but i just can't decide. out of professional, or popular climbers, i'd have to go with ol' reliable lynn hill.
i'm glad she's the height she is, too :)

kellie

Oct 28, 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #4 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about most admired, but I'd sure like to have guns like Tiffany Campbell.

iamthewallress

Oct 28, 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #5 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kellie McBee
Bev Johnson
Lynn Hill
Silvia Vidal...although I've barely seen any press about her.

moabbeth

Oct 29, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #6 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lynn Hill or Steph Davis. Steph should be high on any list, especially with her Fitzroy summit, and she's an accomplished mountaineer in addition to rock climbing.

broce

Oct 29, 2003, 5:42 AM
Post #7 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who do you girls think is the best female climber? Or who do you admire most? I have to say #1 for me is Beth Rodden Caldwell... and I am looking forward to seeing her in person next weekend! =) also, I am reading a book on Lynn Hill, and she is really impressive!!

Beyond the obvious Lynn Hill, I would include Robyn Erbesfield. I had the privilige, not terribly long after I started climbing, to attend a two day class with her and her husband, Didier Rabitou. This was maybe nine years ago. She was truly amazing to watch, and I learned a lot about what kind of climber I am from what she taught me. If that makes sense...it wasnt jusit the techniques she taught me, but that I learned a lot about what *who* I was as a climber.

I also had the chance to take a class with Bobbi Bensman, and she was a hoot, I really had fun in her class. I came down with the flu the night before the class, and I felt wretched and didnt climb at all well, but I learned quite a bit from her too.

maculated

Oct 29, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #8 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my professors just found out about Lynn Hill on PBS or something. He was very excited to share that with me, and doubly excited to hear that I climb on the same wall on campus as all the boys. : P

I don't really like to idolize 'people.' I know of too many people that follow big names around and slather over them. I know of quite a few women in the Tuolumne/ J-Tree circuit who command my admiration without that kind of attitude.

jay_climbingchick

Oct 29, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #9 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to say Lynn Hill too. I have read her book too and I look up to her most.

kellie

Oct 29, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #10 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kellie McBee
Bev Johnson
Lynn Hill

Aw shucks (scuffing toe in dirt). Thanks. You would really have been impressed by the way I hung on 3 out 6 bolts on the one sport route I led last weekend. And the way I managed to injure myself by competing with a 6'5" guy to grab the end of the rope when I pulled it. (Neither of us realized the other was going to reach for it, and he nailed me--I think my thumb is sprained.)

Silvia Vidal...isn't she that tiny Spanish woman who solos big walls?

Lizzy Scully and Heidi Wirtz have done some inspiring stuff too.

iamthewallress

Oct 29, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Kellie McBee
Bev Johnson
Lynn Hill

Aw shucks (scuffing toe in dirt). Thanks. You would really have been impressed by the way I hung on 3 out 6 bolts on the one sport route I led last weekend. And the way I managed to injure myself by competing with a 6'5" guy to grab the end of the rope when I pulled it. (Neither of us realized the other was going to reach for it, and he nailed me--I think my thumb is sprained.)

Kellie,

It's not how hard you do or don't climb that inspires me...It's that you simplified your life and went out and climbed for the love instead of the glory!

Silvia Vidal is the tiny spanish woman that soloed Wyoming Sheep Ranch. (one of the hardest routes on El Cap) and led the crux of the Reticent (perhaps the hardest route on El Cap) amongst other things. I've only ever seen about one paragraph of press dedicated to her though.

I met Heidi last spring. It was pretty funny...I had just staggered onto Dinner Ledge after foolishly linking the two pitches below. I was squatting horrendous rope drag, and had shoved my knee pads down my shirt to get them out of the way. I was so embarrased to see people on the ledge when I was being such a klutz and sporting these fake Dolly Parton sized boobies. Anyway, trying to make small talk and assuming that they were as likely to be a bumblie as I was, I asked them if they linked those two pitches. To which they casually said, "No, we were simuling." :shock: (I aided down low!) Anyway, don't know much about her, but I gathered pretty quickly that she was climbing pretty hard! Anyway, she gave us extra well-wishes for doing a "chick wall", so I'm sending the good vibes back her way.

iamthewallress

Oct 29, 2003, 6:41 PM
Post #12 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Kellie McBee
Bev Johnson
Lynn Hill

Kellie,

It's not how hard you do or don't climb that inspires me...It's that you simplified your life and went out and climbed for the love instead of the glory!

Silvia Vidal is the tiny spanish woman that soloed Wyoming Sheep Ranch. (one of the hardest routes on El Cap) and led the crux of the Reticent (perhaps the hardest route on El Cap) amongst other things. I've seen about one paragraph of press about her though.

I met Heidi last spring. It was pretty funny...I had just staggered onto Dinner Ledge after foolishly linking the two pitches below. I was squatting horrendous rope drag, and had shoved my knee pads down my shirt to get them out of the way. I was so embarrased to see people on the ledge when I was being such a klutz and sporting these fake Dolly Parton sized boobies. Anyway, trying to make small talk and assuming that they were as likely to be a bumblie as I was, I asked them if they linked those two pitches. To which they casually said, "No, we were simuling." :shock: (I aided down low!) Anyway, don't know much about her, but I gathered pretty quickly that she was climbing pretty hard! Anyway, she gave us extra well-wishes for doing a "chick wall", so I'm sending the good vibes back her way.

climbhigh2005

Oct 29, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #13 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am meeting Beth Sat!! Can't wait!

fern

Oct 30, 2003, 6:32 AM
Post #14 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely Silvia Vidal is in the top of my list. She doesn't get american press but if you can read a little Spanish check out Desnivel magazine, she is in there quite frequently.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 30, 2003, 3:49 PM
Post #15 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My fiance, wonderwoman.

caughtinside

Oct 30, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #16 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My fiance, wonderwoman.

Get a Room! :P

blueeyedclimber

Oct 31, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #17 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My fiance, wonderwoman.

Get a Room! :P

We have a room! :D

alpinelynx

Oct 31, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #18 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I met Heidi last spring. It was pretty funny...I had just staggered onto Dinner Ledge after foolishly linking the two pitches below. I was squatting horrendous rope drag, and had shoved my knee pads down my shirt to get them out of the way. I was so embarrased to see people on the ledge when I was being such a klutz and sporting these fake Dolly Parton sized boobies. Anyway, trying to make small talk and assuming that they were as likely to be a bumblie as I was, I asked them if they linked those two pitches. To which they casually said, "No, we were simuling." Shocked (I aided down low!) Anyway, don't know much about her, but I gathered pretty quickly that she was climbing pretty hard! Anyway, she gave us extra well-wishes for doing a "chick wall", so I'm sending the good vibes back her way.

I remember this. I was sitting on the ledge belaying you, communing with the wind (no joke, I like aid belays) and this chick cruises up and over to the next pitch, saying "dude, c'mon (name)." She was waiting for the dude to catch up and made friendly conversation.

any woman that climbs is high on my list and the ones that embody the spirit of adventure are highest (bev johnson).

girlclimb

Nov 1, 2003, 1:29 AM
Post #19 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that there are so many good woman who climb today that it's hard to pick. Big names deff. Lynn Hill she is awesome!!! but i think i admire most the woman i would see in the gym when i first went climbing, climbing at levels most men don't, they truly inspired me to climb to the best of my ability. :D

olive

Nov 1, 2003, 9:28 PM
Post #20 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find Lynn Hill so inspiring like many of you. Steph Davis is high on the list too, especially with the stuff she did in Patagonia, she seems so well rounded.
Any woman who climbs hard is just cool anyway...

oceannas

Nov 2, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #21 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beth rodden and Katie Browns....and I could say more! Katie, she's climbing with such grace and she move so slow and static....everything look easy! Beth, I definitely like her personality while climbing...of course Lisa Rands, Emily Harrington and Tori Allen are goods...but are they really into climbing or only into competition? Beth and Katie are travelling, doing big wall, trad and everything...not just competition(because climbing is not just competition and winning money...it's challenging yourself first!)I think that's to kind of mentality...the two are good...I do both, but I don't feel the same while doing each of them...and that's great. But personally, I think that climbing is travelling too...like Beth and Katie do and that's why I think they are the best. :wink:

climbhigh2005

Nov 2, 2003, 6:30 PM
Post #22 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Beth this weekend!!! She was by far more wonderful than I imagined... I mean she is definently my favoite person ever!! She is a great climber, has a great personalitly, sweet as can be, adorable and awesome as hell!!

dr_caligari

Jan 25, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #23 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone here ever heard of an Abigail Dirrim?

Partner holdplease2

Jan 27, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #24 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Mom.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house with windows on the second almost third story (due to living on a hill). My mom would put that lader up there, and climb up and wash those windows once a month. We weren't totally broke, but she didn't want to spend the money to have someone else clean them.

When I was in kindergarden, she taught me how to roll her over on her side and call 911 if she fell.

My mom had bigger balls than half the climbers I know, including me.

-Kate.

moabbeth

Jan 27, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #25 of 30 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome story Kate!!!! No wonder you wall solo with ease.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook