Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

ep

Oct 28, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #101 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Re: First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Junaid, you are also talking about just one type of person. People solo for more than one reason. It isn't Russian roulette if the odds of failure are 1 in 10^9. If you tried to solo something that you "rarely" fall on and think you could "probably" get away with it, then you would be playing Russian roulette. Consider that you probably take greater risks with your life on a regular basis than many soloists. Yep, driving that car down the interstate at 70 MPH is quite risky, especially on mountain roads at night, when you're tired, and maybe it's been raining. Turn the wheel just that much and you could be dead. But the odds are low enough that you accept them without much thought.

robmcc

Oct 28, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #102 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do it for yourself and don't worry about if you share it or not, soon enough all of us are dead anyway, nobody gets out alive.

Speak for yourself. I plan on living forever. So far, it's working!

herm

Oct 30, 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #103 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

solo all you want, just don't blame anyone else if you get killed.....

chalker7

Oct 30, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #104 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if there's one thing i hate about soloing is the people who whine about it. if you dont solo or if you don't like to read about it then dont solo and dont read about it. if you want to solo then solo, and if you enjoy reading about the immense satisfaction of soloing someone feels then read about it. i havent soloed anything and probably wont for a long time if ever, so im not for or against it either way. i am all about shutting up the whiners and exercising a little bit of free speech. so tell me, what does it feel liek to solo, i want details, visuals, good solid descriptive writing. come on cardboarddog, tell me how ur first solo felt, i'd love to hear.

dingus

Oct 30, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #105 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would submit to you my friends that it is not only appropriate to talk about free soloing it is vitally important to the health of our sport that we do so.

Information, honest information, THE TRUTH, should never never never be taboo. NEVER! Yet another form of Nannyism Censorship, the old 'we're doing it for your own good' bs. Well I don't buy it.

I have written a bit about soloing over the years, trip reports, short stories and musings such as this one. I've given it a lot of thought, looked at it from many different angles. I believe, punter that I am, I know a thing or two about ropeless climbing and I also believe I possess the wit and skill to relate that experience.

On general principle of free thinking people, people of free will for Zeus's sake!, the notion to suppress the topic of free soloing should be rejected outright. Accept nothing but the unfettered truth in your climbing. Gravity can't be lied to.

But when you speak of soloing, speak the WHOLE truth. For when we examine the well from which these impulses rise, we often find there are monsters lurking in our own closets. And death is the reward for a mistake.

DMT

squish

Oct 30, 2003, 6:22 AM
Post #106 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would submit to you my friends that it is not only appropriate to talk about free soloing it is vitally important to the health of our sport that we do so.

Information, honest information, THE TRUTH, should never never never be taboo. NEVER! Yet another form of Nannyism Censorship, the old 'we're doing it for your own good' bs. Well I don't buy it.

I have written a bit about soloing over the years, trip reports, short stories and musings such as this one. I've given it a lot of thought, looked at it from many different angles. I believe, punter that I am, I know a thing or two about ropeless climbing and I also believe I possess the wit and skill to relate that experience.

On general principle of free thinking people, people of free will for Zeus's sake!, the notion to suppress the topic of free soloing should be rejected outright. Accept nothing but the unfettered truth in your climbing. Gravity can't be lied to.

But when you speak of soloing, speak the WHOLE truth. For when we examine the well from which these impulses rise, we often find there are monsters lurking in our own closets. And death is the reward for a mistake.

I respect all of that. Well said.

After I posted what I wrote earlier in this thread, I realized that I'm kind of torn on what I wrote. I think I later said that I have great admiration for the great soloists of climbing history and the stories they have to tell, but there's just something about this thread that rubs me wrong.

The sentiment behind that post came more as a response to the cluelessness behind the original "makes me feel drunk" post. It's not that I really have a problem with talking openly about free soloing, it's just that I feel that it deserves a little more respect.

I wasn't trying for nanny censorship. More like, get a clue before you go off telling clueless people about how to get killed. You sir, emphatically have that clue.

mreardon

Oct 31, 2003, 7:12 PM
Post #107 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the problem with adrenaline is that it takes more to get the high. apply that to free solo climbing and eventually you are going to find your limit. Unfortunately, that limit is absolute.
have you ever had the feeling that - oh s---, I almost lost it there - but you get a reprieve. that gives you an adrenaline rush- which you crave, and need more of.... until you reach maximum effectiveness/ run into your limit...
Falling is what happens when you reach your max. potential and nature ups the ante. and free soloing, you don't get a second chance.

that's all I'm saying - go on and do what you want with your fool selves.

Most who solo also know their limits. Everyone comments about the climbs we've done, but almost no one seems to remember how many times we have all walked up to a wall, gone up one or two moves, then backed off. It's not purely about adrenaline, and anyone who thinks it to be that, deserves the fate and insecurity that will come. In all my soloing, I've rarely gone up something I couldn't climb down, and it has almost always been well within onsight territory. That's not adrenaline, it's something far cleaner and difficult for anyone else to understand.

mreardon

Oct 31, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #108 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you need to solo (or climb) to feel alive, then you are already dead.

If you need to go online giving bumper sticker slogans that make the Wachowski's appear brilliant, you are... Well, it's pretty self-explanatory.

freudian

Oct 31, 2003, 8:15 PM
Post #109 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soloing is a personal choice. Within my small group of climbing partners... most of us will just for some reason feel like soloing somthing. It feels very good. It also increases our "Lead Head" so that we're not as scared leading. Generally we don't solo anything near our peak grade, since we don't wanna die. I have soloed 5.6, while my peak ability is just about at 5.11a top rope / 5.8 trad lead.

I read in the mags and see in the movies about people free soloing and how glorious it is. It is 'glorious' if you live and aren't doing it just to wow your audience or get into a magazine. It's a very personal thing to do when your mind ready. I don't think mags and movies should glorify free soloing.

My 2c.

watersprite

Oct 31, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #110 of 127 (11182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh well, then I just could never understand why guys free solo stuff. nevermind, I dont' care anymore!

cardboarddog

Oct 2, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #111 of 127 (5662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mreardon] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael i couldn't agree more. BTW .. you were a great climber in your time. The fact that you got taken out by a rogue wave is disheartening to say the least. If you makes you feel any better, John Bachar died a few years after you on a climb he had soloed a hundred times. Who knew? My point is .. people who think they have the right to offer their opinion should STFU and suck my balls. I'm always right.

cardboarddog

Oct 2, 2011, 7:20 PM
Post #112 of 127 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mreardon] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "mreardon"][quote]the problem with adrenaline is that it takes more to get the high. apply that to free solo climbing and eventually you are going to find your limit. Unfortunately, that limit is absolute.
have you ever had the feeling that - oh s---, I almost lost it there - but you get a reprieve. that gives you an adrenaline rush- which you crave, and need more of.... until you reach maximum effectiveness/ run into your limit...
Falling is what happens when you reach your max. potential and nature ups the ante. and free soloing, you don't get a second chance.

that's all I'm saying - go on and do what you want with your fool selves.[/quote]

Most who solo also know their limits. Everyone comments about the climbs we've done, but almost no one seems to remember how many times we have all walked up to a wall, gone up one or two moves, then backed off. It's not purely about adrenaline, and anyone who thinks it to be that, deserves the fate and insecurity that will come. In all my soloing, I've rarely gone up something I couldn't climb down, and it has almost always been well within onsight territory. That's not adrenaline, it's something far cleaner and difficult for anyone else to understand.[/quote]

actually this is the post I meant to quote .. but i agree with the other one as well. Keep your office poster wisdom to yourself knob slobberer.

ablanchard17

Oct 2, 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #113 of 127 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cardboarddog] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok.

6pacfershur

Oct 2, 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #114 of 127 (5623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cardboarddog wrote:
Michael i couldn't agree more. BTW .. you were a great climber in your time. The fact that you got taken out by a rogue wave is disheartening to say the least. If you makes you feel any better, John Bachar died a few years after you on a climb he had soloed a hundred times. Who knew? My point is .. people who think they have the right to offer their opinion should STFU and suck my balls. I'm always right.

why are you responding to a post thats almost 8 years old? just wondering....

cardboarddog

Oct 3, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #115 of 127 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

because that was Michael Reardon and he's not alive anymore. Figured the least I could do was respond to his post.

jt512

Oct 3, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #116 of 127 (5587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cardboarddog wrote:
because that was Michael Reardon and he's not alive anymore. Figured the least I could do was respond to his post.

In other words, you're as much an idiot now as you were eight years ago.

Jay

cardboarddog

Oct 3, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #117 of 127 (5496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a troll, tard. A very successful one at that. But thanks for your input.

PosiDave

Oct 3, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #118 of 127 (5487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jookyhead] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you read almost all consensus and data of Fatalies and injuries related to climbing and soloing you will notice something. Anything route intended to solo normally results in a low injury and death percentage. most deaths are caused by beginners and soloing areas not intended (4th class or low 5 off of routes).

If you don't want to solo then don't You have the same chance as injury or death as everyone climbing. I don't judge you not soloing.

Before I ever thought I would solo. I was told a rather good conclusion by two members of Yosar and rather big names. "Everyone wants to climb pure and everyone climbs because in some form it shows you are a "badass". People bitch about soloing because they don't have the courage, skill, or guts to rely strictly on just them.

OI didn't take it as a shit talk that I wouldn't solo. But if you are gonna bitch realize that just like people don't want to climb at all because it is pointless. You are being just like them by concluding soloing is dumb and careless. There is no percentage you can put there that people soloing with that intent die or are injured more often.

lazymonkey

Oct 4, 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #119 of 127 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herm] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "herm"]I rarely fall on cruxes, it's almost always the class 2 that will get you. Soloing doesn't ever stop; once you start, you realize that you are never more than a toe-hold away from eternity. You will spend the rest of your life getting gripped in parkinglots and on buses, because you know that if you ever lose control, anywhere, not just on a climb, then it's all over. If you swallow that chip wrong, look out. Pay attention. Watch your feet.
Keep your hands at 2:00 and 10:00. Keep an eye on the weather. It's easy to prepare for the cruxes, it's the slog in between where it lurks, waiting for you to become distracted.....

Maybe best to never solo and stay normal...[/quote]

awesome post

sungam

Oct 4, 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #120 of 127 (5413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cardboarddog wrote:
It's a drunk post I'm trying to pass off as a troll, like a tard. A very unsuccessful one at that. But thanks for your input.

It's okay, it happens to everyone once in a while. Smile

jjones16

Oct 14, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #121 of 127 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One day I'll be able to pull a route solo on the first try. For now though, I'm just happy redpointing them.

notapplicable

Oct 14, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #122 of 127 (5187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjones16] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jjones16 wrote:
One day I'll be able to pull a route solo on the first try. For now though, I'm just happy redpointing them.

You should be proud of you accomplishments. We've talked about this before and decided that redpoint freesoloing is one of the more badass styles of climbing.

flamer

Nov 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #123 of 127 (5025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ugh.
I kind of wish this thread had stayed buried. I must have been angry at something 8 years ago, I'm happy I don't remember what.
Like most things my views have softened over time.

I still firmly believe that soloing is personal and each person should decide for themself if they want to solo or not. Also talking about soloing is neither right nor wrong, purely up to the individual.
Telling people why they should or should not solo is lame. Looking for justification to solo is also lame.

Even more lame is running around on the internet calling random people pu$$ies.

Since this thread was orginally started I've soloed hundreds of pitchs. They've been some of my best days in the mountains. Every single one of those solos I did for me.
Most of them were cruiser, as they should be, a couple of times they were alittle too close to the edge and I was somewhat lucky to pull them off. In both situations I learned alot about myself.

I'm still here, I'm still soloing.
Mostly I'm just trying to live and have fun...and not worry about too much.

Cheers,

josh

sp115

Nov 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #124 of 127 (4953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
Ugh.
I kind of wish this thread had stayed buried. I must have been angry at something 8 years ago, I'm happy I don't remember what.
Like most things my views have softened over time.

I still firmly believe that soloing is personal and each person should decide for themself if they want to solo or not. Also talking about soloing is neither right nor wrong, purely up to the individual.
Telling people why they should or should not solo is lame. Looking for justification to solo is also lame.

Even more lame is running around on the internet calling random people pu$$ies.

Since this thread was orginally started I've soloed hundreds of pitchs. They've been some of my best days in the mountains. Every single one of those solos I did for me.
Most of them were cruiser, as they should be, a couple of times they were alittle too close to the edge and I was somewhat lucky to pull them off. In both situations I learned alot about myself.

I'm still here, I'm still soloing.
Mostly I'm just trying to live and have fun...and not worry about too much.

Cheers,

josh

Couldn't agree more with Josh, in the history of stupid thread resurrections this has to be the worst. In fact with the passing of Michael Reardon, it's completely inappropriate and disrespectful.

KevinHecka

Feb 22, 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #125 of 127 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stuck] First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

[quote "stuck"]Soloing is awesome. It's the purest form of climbing. The more dangerous the better. Just do a couple of laps with a rope on, untie and dial that sucker.

Most hardcore climbers practice this form of climbing and you'll notice that they are also the ones who are popular and realing in the ladies.[/quote]

Yeah...imagine all the hot chicks weeping at the funeral [cool]

Nothing wrong with soloing, nothing wrong with talking about it either. Lots of bold climbers, lots old climbers...not too many old bold climbers though.

K.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook