Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arrowhead

Nov 6, 2003, 7:16 AM
Post #1 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

motivation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you motivate yourself week after week, day after day, to climb hard and train hard?

I find myself lacking in the drive to continuously push my climbing to the hardest that I could. More often than not, I always have plans to do some training sets of push-ups and sit-ups, but then I'd get lazy and do something else instead.

What motivates you?

adeptus

Nov 6, 2003, 8:14 AM
Post #2 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Re: motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Set yourself a long term goal, which you will be willing to do anything for. Maybe: Climbing K2 within the next ten years. Or: Climbing 5.12 within the next five years.
Then when you donīt feel like training, just remember why you are doing it. If you want something bad enough, you will be able to put up with a lot of $hit to get it :twisted:

potatoe

Nov 6, 2003, 8:48 AM
Post #3 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I tend to go to the climbing gym a lot, and even if I'm not in the mood to climb that day, I know there will always be a few people I know milling around there just hanging out and having a good time, so that keeps me going back. And of course, while I'm there, I might as well train.

Oh, and trying to stay ahead of my buddy Adam too. Competitive Spirit, y'know.

iltripp

Nov 6, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #4 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to stay motivated, you should pack up all your shit and move to yosemite in the summer or some nice desert place in the winter. When you can wake up and walk 30 feet to some awesome bouldering, there is no end to motivation...

dingus

Nov 6, 2003, 1:38 PM
Post #5 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How do you motivate yourself week after week, day after day, to climb hard and train hard?

I don't.

In reply to:
I find myself lacking in the drive to continuously push my climbing to the hardest that I could.

So what? What is this obsession with continuous improvement and with always pushing yourself, every time out? What ever led you to believe that is the full and complete extent of climbing? Why can't you just kick back for a day, week, month, year or decade, hell, for the rest of your life and just enjoy your climbing, without burdening yourself with dreams that may not even be your own?

Consider this: maybe you're like me and just too lazy to do those things from time to time. Last I checked, the world kept spinning even though I blew off a trip to the health club.

In reply to:
What motivates you?

My love for climbing, my desire to visit high and wild places, the intermittent urge to do something big and outrageous and yes, even the things my peers are doing.

I've been climbing 30 years and the last decade was certainly the most active, the most busy. And over that whole time my interests, focus and dedication have waxed and wanned.

And I've had another great year, despite the fact that I will never pull down like an 18 year old again. Getting the boards waxed up just now.

Yipee!

Cheers mate
DMT

crag

Nov 6, 2003, 1:40 PM
Post #6 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="arrowhead"]How do you motivate yourself week after week, day after day, to climb hard and train hard?
In reply to:

MOVE away from the beer can son. Just put the can down and step away, nobody has to get hurt. We can talk about this calmly once you've put that beer can DOWN.

Yes my friend if you abstain from most of the guilty pleasures in life and only treat them as a rare reward for a job well done you will stay plenty motivated. :wink:

It is the many conveniences we have in our modern life that has left us feeling so complacent. The instant gratification of anything we intake has left us with an insatiable desire for more more MORE.

If climbing is not a part of your life style then motivation will always be a struggle. Making climbing your life will leave you plenty motivated.

Cheers,

overlord

Nov 6, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #7 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont need to motivate myself because i love climbing and training.

maybe you should go outside a little and remind yourself why youre sweating in the gym.

arrowhead

Nov 6, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #8 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dont need to motivate myself because i love climbing and training.

maybe you should go outside a little and remind yourself why youre sweating in the gym.

oh no, i do go outdoors often enough. my indoor sessions are mostly to work on the strength and technique.

and i love climbing. love it enough for me sacrifice all the chilling out on late weekends nights to wake up early on Saturdays & Sundays to go climb. love it well enough that any holidays that i take, is a climbing holiday in which i get to do some climbing. and it's a love that nobody can take away.

it never fails to amaze me to see the really good climbers in action. it's not that i don't enjoy climbing at all - i just want to experience the thrills and satisfaction that come with working out on the harder routes, just like the top climbers. or maybe just the simple knowledge that i am doing better than before. somehow i just feel like i want to do better than what i am already doing.

constant improvement is what keeps me going in everything that i do in life. and in order to improve, i need to have loads and loads of practice.

i just lose that discipline, patience and willpower to keep up with the training sessions that i had set up for myself.

so to those who climb and train hard - i would like to know - what motivates you?

rocknalaska

Nov 6, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #9 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Going out climbing and seeing everyone with their 0 fat percentage. Then I look down and see the rolls of fat slopping over my pants. That makes me want to work out.

Actually, I don't train, I just climb and have fun and always try new things. I have an overwhelming deisre to climb EVERYTHING. This makes me push myself all of the time.

Also having other activities outside of climbing really helps me. All winter I am psyched about boarding, then around late february I get the jonesing to really get outside and climb hard, so I start training and getting in shape. In the fall my motivation is high because I know the season will be ending soon for rock and I still have projects to do.

If you are serious about training, It really helps to have a partner and a schedule. Then even if your motivation is down, theirs can help pick you up and vice versa. The schedule is great because it keeps on track with what you should be doing. Also keep a journal.

Good Luck

realization

Nov 6, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #10 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I really find that the people I climb with help to motivate me. One day I might not look forward to climbing as much as the rest, but I can always rely on friends to raise the spirit and get me motivated to get on rock. The other thing that has motivated me, are as someone else stated earlier, "long term goals" I've set certain goals, some i've accomplished, some i'm still working at, but as long as I still have those goals, I have something worth working at. Another part of my motivation is partly excersize. I know most of you say, hey i'd rather watch a little t.v then do some sit ups, but if you have the true motivation to get strong and accomplish goals then it should be no debate... most of the time. Hope that helps?
-Mikee

dynoguy

Nov 6, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I find myself lacking in the drive to continuously push my climbing to the hardest that I could. More often than not, I always have plans to do some training sets of push-ups and sit-ups, but then I'd get lazy and do something else instead.

What motivates you?

You should worry about "conitnuously pushing limits" just climb because it is fun. Don't get caught up in that damn number game.

madflash

Nov 6, 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #12 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing hard is great and is totally worth all of the hard work you put into it. Just don't become one of those climbers who can't talk about climbing without spewing numbers. Because there is nothing great or totally worth while about sounding like a human calculator..."No way man at least 13b, with holds like that, I have pulled on bigger holds on 13d, blah blah blah". Just remember climbing can be fun without numbers.

wc

Nov 6, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #13 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Drugs, lots of drugs...

In reply to:
I find myself lacking in the drive to continuously push my climbing to the hardest that I could.

That is why you suck.

In reply to:
What motivates you?

The only way I can stick to my training program is by climbing for others. There is no point climbing for myself because I suck, I will always suck, and frankly I don't give a chit. My only motivation for training and climbing hard comes from the fact that people (especially climbing chicks) only like people who can pull down. Thus I force myself to climb hard simply because that is the only way I can get others (especially chicks) to hang out with me.

Good luck.

alpinerock

Nov 6, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #14 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What motivates you?

Take Joy in the process, not just upon reaching your goal. Try to find a way that training can be fun for you. U don't like pushups? try benchpressing a bit, i find this more enjoyable. (I'm sure u know this but pushups will have eventually decrease your climbing ability by building up unnessacary bulk just making sure)

chill

Nov 6, 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #15 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What motivates you?

bouldering

enanubis

Nov 6, 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #16 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Convince,
if I had to go to the gym or health club to train I would rarely go. So I setup a hangboard and some weights, so when I come home from work they are right there reminding me to do my thing.

I also keep a mental list of routes I wanted to complete, so I know I need to work on foot work or do some pull-ups so I can finish this problem or that.

As for outside "training", when climbing I start easy and just go harder and harder, that way I have a couple of easy, just for fun climbs and then the last climbs of the day I might not be able to complete, which gives me something to look forward to working on next time.

ricardol

Nov 6, 2003, 11:42 PM
Post #17 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What motivates you?

umm -- instead of training hard -- i took up aid climbing .. less training, and you can get up the hardest routes ..

:-)

-- ricardo

madcowrockclimber

Nov 7, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #18 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baby steps...

get yourself up to a good 5.10 then try to push yourself to a 5.10+ get good at that and go to a 5.11

dont puish yourself too hard or you will toast yourself quick.

solid

Nov 7, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #19 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lies, push yourself as hard as your body is willing to go. Just don't hurt yourself...that's the trick.

the_pirate

Nov 7, 2003, 4:05 AM
Post #20 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its all about your pals. They keep you motivated and you keep them motivated. The hardest climbing I ever did was when my climbing partner lived upstairs from me. He'd come down to rouse me up every day. and if I was giving some excuses about not climbing he'd say, in his thick russian accent, "Dood, have you got any Homosexual Benjamin? Why don't you rub some on your sore poosie..."

sbclimber

Nov 7, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #21 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb without a shirt on and have someone take pics of your back. If you are like me you want to see the muscles get bigger and bigger.

reddaisies

Nov 7, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #22 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

masochism. I've been told a lot in my life that i can't do things because i'm a girl, so i've spent all my life proving them wrong. climbing has been my latest proof. i love having proof that i can do it. i'm also at a point in my life that i know i don't need to prove anything to anyone because i know what i can do. but i still enjoy rubbing it in people's faces that i can do things, but i know i don't need to prove anything anymore. yes, an endless cycle of self destruction.

BUT it's all part of the fun. that's what really motivates me to keep climbing. i have A LOT of fun when i go climbing. if you're not having fun, quit, it's not worth the pain of trying to do something that you don't enjoy.

happy climbing! :D

overlord

Nov 7, 2003, 2:21 PM
Post #23 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What motivates you?

You should worry about "conitnuously pushing limits" just climb because it is fun. Don't get caught up in that damn number game.

you should heed this one. nuber chasing isnt what climbing is about.

dingus

Nov 7, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #24 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you should heed this one. nuber chasing isnt what climbing is about.

I think most decently rounded climbers will feel the urge to number chase from time to time, some of us obviously more than others. It isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, to set a goal and work to achieve it.

And while I agree with the sentiment of the counsel in this and other posts and have explained how it applies to my climbing, I try to stop short of projecting my needs and desires onto others.

Fact is, some climbers enjoy number chasing. They get gratification in pushing and achieving. I'm down with that, though in my own personal experience I haven't really much enjoyed climbing with individuals focused in this way. Life is a competition for them, friend or foe, 24 x 7. It's tiring to us more, um, balanced folk.

Motivation? How about a Master who whacks you with a 8 foot ling bamboo stick across your bare back every time you fail to do things correctly? That'll get you back to the gym!

DMT

stickclipper

Nov 7, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #25 of 28 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Set yourself a long term goal, which you will be willing to do anything for. Maybe: Climbing K2 within the next ten years. Or: Climbing 5.12 within the next five years. :

Ah, 5.12 in five years.... or K2 in 10 years...

Hm, I wonder which would be more difficult?

About the same, I'm sure.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook