Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
looking for some short ,easy, top rope climbs for kids
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

joens

Nov 15, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1525 views)
Shortcut

looking for some short ,easy, top rope climbs for kids  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have 3 budding climbers ages 7,9 and 11 and we are looking for some very easy ,short climbs we can top rope . the 11 yr old especially is getting good at bouldering .NE New Mexico would be closest to us but we don't mind travelling .thanks.

escale

Feb 1, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Re: looking for some short ,easy, top rope climbs for kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have taken kids on top rope trips and know what you are looking for. There really isn’t a particular area that is exactly suited just for kids. What I did was take my rope, climbing harnesses, my trad gear, and several extra long 1 inch webbing and we would go hiking in our forests. We would find a slab or huge boulder and I would hike around to the top or boulder my self up to the top. Using 12’ to 20’ slings I wrap a huge boulder for a anchor along with my trad gear and I would make a 3 or 4 point anchor and extend it with two separate slings with a locking biner so it would over hang the climb. This was enough for me to belay the kids up between 5.2 to 5.7 routes with no problem.

In the North East NM, I would check out Sugarite state park and camping area near Raton, NM. I’ve never been there, but from photos, it appears there are large cracks to put gear in. Put in 3 bomber pieces, extend them with a cordelette into a single tie in point, attach a locking biner and top rope away.

--- Escale

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook