Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Training-induced headache... Anyone else get this?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

abkaiser

Dec 5, 2003, 7:56 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Training-induced headache... Anyone else get this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've gotten this once in my life previously, and have had it again for the last 3 days. Taken from this site, here's the medical definition:

"Weight lifter's cephalgia. Weight lifters headache is generally sudden in onset and occurs during active lifting (33-35). In many cases, the weight training exercise being performed at the time of headache onset was the bench press. The pain is described as burning or boring in quality and localized to the posterior head and neck. Though onset is abrupt, the headache may persist for several days to weeks, gradually resolving. No clear cause has been identified; the presumed mechanism is ligament or soft-tissue injury.

Initial management consists of avoidance of weight training, cervical range-of-motion exercises and stretches, and pain medication. After a patient's pain resolves, training technique should be reviewed to eliminate incorrect technique. "

Here's another link that explains it very well.

Here's my story:

I had been sick with the flu a couple weeks ago, and after the sickness was pretty lazy (no excercise) for another 2 weeks. So I was really out of shape. I decided to start working out again.

I had a good workout which included overdoing it big time on the ab-crunches and push-ups. The next day, I get these headaches. They're just as the article above describes, but brief: If I lift something heavy or bend over quickly (or do the "bearing down" move quoted in the second link), I get a brief headache located in the back of my head, just above my neck.

The first day I had this, the ache was bad. The next day and today, not so much. It's definitely going away.

I know I've had this before, because I remember this pain from sometime in the past.

Has anyone else had this? Can anyone shed light on this condition? I'm just worried I screwed something up. If it's just a healing issue, fine. But I don't want to have ruptured something.

I'm not working out again until the ache is completely gone. And when I work out, I'll take care not to push things too hard until my body's ready for it (which I knew at the time it wasn't - I was just excited to be working out again).

(I'll save any responders the trouble of typing: I understand that the internet and this board is not the best way to treat or diagnose anything, and that a doctor's visit is recommended. I understand the responsers are in no way responsible for my health based on what they say here. I'm just asking for opinions, and would like to hear anything anyone has to offer. If the headaches are still with me on Monday, I'll go to the doctor.)

Thanks!

Andy

gravitytheory

Dec 5, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: Training-induced headache... Anyone else get this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is another possibility--mineral deficiency. If you don't get a sufficient amount of salt/sodium/calcium you can get a similar symptom. The only thing to do is start consuming more and wait for it to get better, if that is the case.

abkaiser

Dec 6, 2003, 2:24 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mineral deficiency... Interesting! I hadn't even thought about something like that. However, I do take a multivitamin every day, with a calcium suppliment, vitamin C suppliment and fish oil suppliment.

I can probably say that my salt/sodium intake has been low for the last several days, and certainly when I was sick I wasn't taking *anything*, including vitamins.

I'll be sure to eat what my body needs. It's a good idea anyway!

Thanks,

Andy

overlord

Dec 8, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have heard of sex-induced headache (before and after :wink: ) but never of this one...

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook