Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trench Town/ Water World
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrtropy

Dec 21, 2003, 9:06 AM
Post #1 of 3 (997 views)
Shortcut

Trench Town/ Water World  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Laurentians: Montagne_D_Argent: M___M)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Will be heading through Vegas in early March and plan to Climb there a couple of days. Will go to Red Rocks for a day and then a day of limestone. WaterWorld/ Trench Town area looks the best and is at the right level of difficulty. I have heard recently that there has been some acess issues. I have the Rock Fax guide will this work for acess or do I need to know more? Thanks

vegastradguy

Dec 21, 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #2 of 3 (997 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trench Town/ Water World [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the access there is always iffy because you have to drive through the quarry to get to it. currently, the only time you can do this is on the weekends. the drive through the quarry is always an adventure, but you basically follow the same path pretty much due west. you'll want a 4wd vehicle, though, the road is choppy and some really soft spots do occasionally pop up. however, we've never actually had to turn back, but it is fun getting weird looks from the quarry guys when you drive by.

march might be a bit cool for TT/WW, mostly because the area gets zero sun. its never more than about 80-85 in there, which makes it a perfect summer destination.

have fun out there, though...its my fav sport climbing destination in town.

boltdude

Dec 21, 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #3 of 3 (997 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trench Town/ Water World [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Listen to vegastradguy, definitely want 4x4, and things are changing constantly out there.

Last time I was there, last spring, here's the directions (the rockfax guide directions are no longer quite right). Of course, these directions may already be totally wrong, since development and Vegas is like fire and dry timber...

Take the Lone Mtn Rd west, set odometer at Cliff Shadows Rd (takes off left, was the last paved road then), keep heading west, after 1.0 mile the main road heads left (into more new developments), keep going straight on rough dirt road. After 0.4 mile you get to the big powerline, jog left along the lip of the mongo quarry for 0.1 mile, then cut down right and into the quarry, being very careful that you don't drive off a new drop-off. Contour through the quarry (diagonal NW), once you get out of the quarry into the main wash, set odometer to 0 again. Drive 1.6 mile and park on the left.

Watch your fingers on the ladders, they like munching fingertips between the hanging ladders and the limestone.

If you're like me you'll like having extra tape for your fingers, the rock can be sharp.

Be careful in the quarry, even with 4x4 you can get stuck easily in the big dirt piles that change every day...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook