RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

kzemach

Dec 31, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Organize: Kyrgystan next summer / late summer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, I'm serious about this. Turns out I can get to Kyrgystan pretty easily next summer, and that's not an opportunity one passes up. The late kidnapping fiascos aside, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find safe, sweet, mulitpitch FA's and aid fests. Personally, would prefer trad FA's with an occasional French Free over aid, but as long as it's crack, I'm game.

I can do a month or two there; think we'd need at LEAST three weeks in country.

Serious inquiries only... let's really do this. It's all about high adventure, yah?

(note: I would consider Mongolia as a close second; hear there's some good unclimbed stuff there too, albeit a lot harder for me to get to).

Ken

chrisharkness

Dec 31, 2003, 9:31 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Re: Organize: Kyrgystan next summer / late summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

I would be very interested in Kyrgyzstan for late summer 2004. I'm pretty excited to have found this website. I saw your ad and quickly registered so I could get a hold of you. I was actually already planning a trip there for next summer. I've got a friend working for the Peace Corps. in Bishkek and some other small town north of that big lake in Kyrgyzstan. I was planning on bringing all my trad gear in hopes of finding a partner, but maybe it won't be so tough after all. Anyway, my name's Chris, from Duluth MN, I'm 24. I'm living in California for now saving money. Give me a call (303)809-8514. Hope to hear from you!
Chris

olympicmtnboy

Jan 1, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be in Kazakhstan mid-summer to visit a friend (also in the Peace Corps). I was thinking about doing some climbing or mountaineering there, but I might be able to get over to Krygystan if any of you guys wanted to hook up. I'll be in Russia for a month too if anyone wanted to climb there (hehe, that's where I was in the Peace Corps). PM me here if anything starts coming together.

addiroids

Jan 1, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You lucky bastards. That will be a cool trip. Be safe and climb hard. And dammit, bring some AK's. Fight back, AIDS climber style

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

chrisharkness

Jan 4, 2004, 2:22 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi there,

I wrote you a few days ago but I thought I'd check back in. I just wanted to see if you've found anyone to go to Kyrgyzstan yet. I would still really love to go and I could definitely do at least a month. Let me know if you're still down or if something else has turned up. Thanks a lot
Chris

kzemach

Jan 21, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response, but for some reason I wasn't getting notified that there were responses. I'll check the forwarding email address I have for this site.

Here's my deal: I'm working in Afghanistan until August, but do get to take breaks. July might be a little early weather-wise though due to all the snow and all; we'll have to read into that.

In addition, got a coworker who's a climber who'll be working in Iraq who may also be able to get time off; the benefit for both of us being that our airfare to Kyrgystan is free....

My guess is that after the whole kidnapping thing, security is up there. I need to do some more reading on that. AKs would actually be a good idea though; the problem is that, as you guys probably know from traveling in these areas, border guards and police and whatnot practically strip search you most chances they get (take, for instance, India....). Thus while getting some firepower for protection would probably be easy, securing it would be tough; I think we'll just have to have some contingency plans. Let see, a lemon, some wire, a small initiator, some powdered flower and dust..... No, wait, we don't want to blow ourselves off the cliff... Hmmm.

Anyway, we need to check into it. Quite frankly, the answer to security is to pay for protection FIRST and bring them with us if we're heading into a "questionable" area. And also need to start getting to know one another to see if this is really going to work.

I'm flying for the next few days, but should be back in the US for a quick break. I'll be in San Fran, but practically living at Tahoe to ski, so Chris, if you're in that area, let me know and we'll meet up.

Ken

wintersong

Feb 13, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny mentioning the peace corps I am in the Peace Corps right now in Guatemala there is not much climbing here only one spot for sport climbing in Xela no trad. I was planning on going to Kyrgystan in 2005 for some climbing but if I found a way maybe I could go earlier if not keep me posted on the climbing for when I go next year.
Have fun Skiing I am realy missing the snow right now.

Adios

Thank You

Winter

tangobasset

May 14, 2004, 1:14 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just came across this post a couple days ago. A friend and I will be in Bishkek mid-July to study Russian for a month before heading off to walk some mountains in Kyrgyz Republic and the Altai (NE Khazakstan, Mongolia, and Siberia {hopefully}). I'm a beginning climber with little gear other than my harness, ATC, and shoes, so I'm not sure if you'd actually want me on a trip. But, I thought I'd enquire to see how plans have shaped up.

Let me know. Even if yall are off in the mountains climbing crazy routes with AKs strapped to your back, perhaps a beer in Bishkek on your return for info on what you discovered would be interesting.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Any of those Peace Corps folks know about the London School in Bishkek? Is it any good for Russian and Kyrgyz language instruction? :)

kzemach

Jun 27, 2004, 1:24 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tangobasset-

For some reason I'm STILL not getting notified about this forum. You can email me at kzemach@mailblocks.com.

Three of us are doing it. Chris, Stewart, and I are arriving in Kyrgyzstan on July 2. Moving from Bishkek to Osh immeditely to prep, then heading down to the Karavashin area starting on the 7th or so. You're certainly welcome to come along, although we hired a guide and you'll have to scramble to get your permits and stuff together. We'll be climbing there for about 2.5 weeks.

Email me if you're interested. We'll be coming back up through at the end of the month. We'd need to know SOON if you want to get together.

Enjoy,

Ken

wallwombat

Jun 29, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This link suggests that where you are planning to go is still very unsafe. Possibly even less safe than in 2000 when Caldwell, Rodden, et al were kidnapped. US citizens are hardly more popular now in central asia than then.

http://travel.state.gov/kyrgyz_announce.html

Good luck but remember the lives you may be risking may be more than just your own.

kzemach

Jun 29, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WW-

Thanks; yah, we've been following the reports and incidents fairly closely, and are going in with eyes wide open. We're going to stay pretty flexible, and may change locations, or just forget the South if it feels too squirly. Also going to see what 'activity' intel we can coerce out of the embassy when we arrive in Bishkek.

But, really, compared to driving around Baghdad and Sadr City looking for roadside bombs and snipers, this is gonna be generally safer than a typical work week.

I'm most curious to see how many other climbing parties are around that area. Will report when we return. And seriously, thanks again for the concern and warning. It's good to know climbers look out for each other!

Ken

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook