Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

greenelfshoes

Jan 7, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #1 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Help should I feel as bad as I do?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok reading a post about kids destroying rocks kinda mabe me think about what happened to me just the other day at the gym

My buddy and I were there and I was climbing with him on belay
and it just so happened the gym was packed with rugrats running around everywhere -

well as fate would have it - I was working an over hang route and I asked for some slack so my friend wouldn't pull me off the wall -

As I went to make a move I missed and came flying off dropping a swinging out towards my belayer my waist was about his head level -

and just as I came swing through - a little kid came running in between us - and to be honest I knocked the crap out of this kid -
I would have one gold in the child shot put

my feet right into this kids body sending him flying half way across the room

the waterworks turned on - everyone stopped and stared -
I felt and still do feel awful -

the owner of the gym said it wasn't my fault - the kid shouldn't have been there - my buddy says the same thing - same with other people in the gym

but I got an ear full for this kids my for not watching out and being careful
etc etc etc - for get soccermoms - climbing moms are even worse

I guess where I fault myself is for not announcing my fall -

maybe if I had yelled the kid would have noticed and gotten out of the way

I don't know help - what do other people think
should I feel as bad as I did and actually still do

maculated

Jan 7, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #2 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Re: Help should I feel as bad as I do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trust me, if you'd said, "Falling!" the rugrat would have just stopped where he was and watched maliciously. Don't feel bad. I once hit my dog in the head with a baseball bat when he tried to catch the ball I'd thrown for myself. He broke his stay, so he learned never to do that and I was sad for a week. It happens.

kman

Jan 7, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #3 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So basically she gave you sh!t for something that was her fault. She is the one that is responsible for her kid. She should have been watching her kid. You are not responsible for letting her kid run around the gym out of control. I would have given her a piece of my mind if she tried to blame me for her screw up. Don't have a second thought, it's totally not your fault.

crotch

Jan 7, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #4 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the responsibility of the child's caretaker to make sure he doesn't get into trouble in a dangerous place. Don't feel bad.

epic_ed

Jan 7, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #5 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's one of my greatest fantasies -- to be able to launch a small, screaming puke sack across a room with no regard to the reprucussions. I gotta say -- I'm jealous.

Regardless of the nasty stares and scornful comments, the kid was in the wrong place and was not following the rules appropriate for a climbing gym. It's called "natural consequences" and it happens all the time. He'll get over it. Let's just hope the whole group learned a thing or two about climbing gym etiquette.

Ed

revegentil

Jan 7, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #6 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well SOMETHING like that happened to me....kinda...

i was in a cave at the gym and like yours there were rugrats running ALL over. it was amazing....climbing on the boulders and the parents seemed to not to care....
ok, so while i was workng on the problem these 2 kids maybe 7 or 8 asked me for chalk but i told them to go ask their mother or father if it would be ok. but apparently they didnt like that answer so the wondered off and while i was hanging without me seeing the came and grabbed my dangling chalk bag...i looked at them sternly and told them to sit in the corner after i fell not so hard on one of them. they suprised me and i felt bad but to be honest, man climbing can be dangerous and although it was unfortunate you shouldnt feel bad. the owner and your friend is right. kids running around a gym thats only for climbing, a sport of danger, should be careful. it wasnt your fault...it was their parents...
chris

tucsonalex

Jan 7, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #7 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Happens all the time
Not your fault
Don't sweat it
Remind the mom of the waiver she probably had to sign so her little anklebiter could climb there.

rvega

Jan 7, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #8 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is coming from a woman with no kids.

Kid's fault! Don't feel too bad, really. We have a junior climbing league at our gym and every Tuesday/Thursday its like Barney time.

I've had kids climbing underneath me when I'm bouldering, pulling on my rope when leading (belayer had to yell at them very loudly), screaming, fighting, standing underneath me when being lowered, swinging on the ropes, climbing without a belayer, belaying without a climber, step on my rope, CHEW on the rope, and one kid even knocked himself out when he hit his head on the wall.

But kids are kids and who here didn't annoy older kids when we were young. My advise, watch out for kids. Make sure they follow the rules and if Mom or Dad are around and not paying attention, feel free to tell them (the kid) that they are doing something wrong. It's better that you do that than see them get hurt or hurt others in the process. If the parents yell at you, so what, you were looking out for the kid's best interest. But be patient also. You didn't mean to hurt that kid and lucky it wasn't to bad. But I bet he/she learned a hard lesson.

robmcc

Jan 7, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking as a parent, rugrat and rugrat's mom should have been thrown out of the gym for being a hazard. Never, never enter a climber's potential fall path. Young children aren't old enough to follow that rule, or necessarily figure out where you're going to go given the swing on the rope, etc, but that's what the parent is for.

When my kids pull that kind of stuff, they don't get sympathy from me, they get "Now you understand why I told you not to do that." Harsh, perhaps, but it will hopefully reinforce the idea that I tell them not to do stuff because they can genuinely get hurt if they do it anyway.

Rob

wongwong

Jan 7, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #10 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am tempted to tease you a bit and tell you it was all your fault, but, for some reason (maybe I am getting weak and old?) I cant even bring myself to do it. Totally not your fault.... Mom should be flogged for blaming you. I musta looked pretty funny to see a little dude flying across the gym though- and besides, he landed on the pads, right?

moabbeth

Jan 7, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #11 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't feel bad. You can't be held accountable for the negligence of who should have been watching that child (parent, guardian) and making sure the child was staying out of harm's way. You were there climbing and have nothing to feel bad about. Now the kid's mom, SHE should be feeling bad about what happened, especially about blaming YOU. If she was paying more attention to her child he wouldn't have been tearing around the gym being in the position for another climber to fall on.

jughead

Jan 7, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #12 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

should have told the mom to put the lil dick on a lead, this isnt a fucking playpen its a climbing gym where people train AND FALL ITS NOT YOUR GYM THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS HERE U CANT EXPECT US TO MAKE IT CHILD FRIENDLY if you cant get ur kids to behave then piss off

I HATE KIDS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

flyinghatchet

Jan 7, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #13 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I HATE KIDS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

So, have you ever considered working at the wall at a Galyans? hahahahaha

Graison

sticky_fingers

Jan 8, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #14 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll repeat what everybody's saying: don't feel bad. There's nothing you could have done and, not that it makes it OK, but it's quite common. A similar thing happens all the time when people lower off of a route and bonk somebody on the head with their feet; not hard, but people who aren't used to climbing gyms don't know where to stand/walk in order to not get hit or interfere.

It's almost like gyms should take on a "racquet ball court" nature, where you can't be in the area, where the activity is happening, unless you're going to do it. That way instructors/owners could make sure everybody going into "the climbing area" knows to look out for feet, flying bodies, etc and everybody who wants to watch is safely out of the way. Sure you're going to have have dumb people who go "in" and still get hurt after being "trained", but at least as an owner, you've lessened the risk of getting sued. Ah but what the hell do I know; I'm sick right now so I don't know if any of this makes sense to anybody else.

On a lighter note, should I feel bad making fun of your grammar?
Seriously, my "friens" and I "one"der.... :P

cadaverchris

Jan 8, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #15 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
to be honest I knocked the crap out of this kid -
I would have one gold in the child shot put

histerical =)

but i agree with most, it was not your fault, the kid was running hap hazzardly through the danger zone.

Partner hosh

Jan 8, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #16 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every Gym I've ever been to has a specific "no running" rule. That kid deserves what he gets and his mom should learn to pay closer attention. Think about it this way: Did you fall on purpose? Did you "aim" for the kid? And in a noisy gym, would the kid even have noticed if you yelled "falling!" Don't sweat it, maybe you should have had a talk with the kid's mom about the nasty smudge her kid put on the bottom of you expensive climbing shoes... :wink:

jughead

Jan 8, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #17 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i woudl have aimed 4 the lil bugger, theyre always around our gym in huge groups one was right on the big red blob that marks my L/O point looking around like a lemon a firm fist on top of the helmet did the job of moving the bitch

radistrad

Jan 8, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #18 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know this is one reason that I do not like the gym. Parents take no control over their children.
I am a parent and I would not take my kid to the gym and let him run around. Period.
I was in the gym a few weeks ago and kids were running all over the place, one bumped into me and I gave him a stern "WATCH IT, KID".
I've not been back since. It really sucked.
I give you points for knocking the little kid over, you should have been the one giving the mother the tung lashing. She and the kid were way out of line.

mother

Jan 8, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #19 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you might feel bad the kid has a dumbass for a parent. i would certainly not feel guilty in this situation. i guess i would hope the kid learned something from his "encounter". apparently his mom didn't.

thun

Jan 8, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #20 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, you feel bad, but to be honest, it 100% isn't your fault. i've seen enough kids at my local gym to know that they listen to "falling!" as much as they listen to "don't play underneath there, that guy's climbing and could fall on you."

if anything you should have been upset at the parents for not teaching their kid to beware of people climbing and putting YOU at risk if you should fall. that's right, YOU. climbers have the right of way. even idiot kids with idiot parents should know that.

YOU should be upset at the gym staff for not warning the parents and kids of the possibility of falling climbers that could put both people at risk. while this may legally be an assumed risk, it usually isn't assumed by the parents who are just glad to have pried their children away from the TV or playstation. and it certainly is not assumed by little kids who just want to run around and have fun. if the gym is not willing to warn novice children of the dangers of the gyms (a task that would take about 10 seconds), then they should not be allowing children into their gyms.

bottom line is this: kids are virtually indestructable. kids are stupid. you had the right of way while climbing and were climbing well within expected means of safety. at the very least, this kid will likely learn a valuable lesson to respect others (okay, maybe that's going too far). :roll:

bigdude

Jan 8, 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #21 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the fact that you feel bad at all shows you are probably a pretty decent human being. Once took out a couple guys standing in the middle of a black diamond run when my binding sheared off my ski and I was going full tilt. Wasn't their fault and it wasn't mine - but I still felt bad because they were hurt. I climb where there are kids all the time and some parents know the dangers of falling and some don't - when I see kids scurying in dangerous territory I either tell them why they shouldn't or tell the parents and guess what? They actually listen.

On another note 8) guess jughead was never a kid - what an !##$*. Remind me never to go climbing where you are.

catbiter

Jan 8, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #22 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't sweat it. Kids are resiliant. They can take a licking better than anyone 25 or older. It wasn't your fault you fell (unless you baled). Think of it this way..... you could have a tooth or two still stuck in your climbing shoe.

dynoguy

Jan 8, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #23 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The same thing happened to me once. I nailed this kid right in the head with my foot(soccer-ball style). I felt pretty bad at first, but then I realized there was nothing I could have done to aviod it. It wasn't my fault. Luckly the kids dad was easy-going about it, he said it was his own fault.

crazygirl

Jan 8, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #24 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I was bouldering at a gym, a newbie sat down on the mat right under me. She was an adult, but clueless. one of the guys who works at the gym sat next to her, and didn't say anything. I fell on top of her. luckily, no one was injured. Whose fault was it, mine, her or the guy's who works at the wall? i say it was his fault for not paying attention.

robmcc

Jan 8, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #25 of 76 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hers and his. His, obviously, because he's (presumably) responsible in part for safety in the gym. Hers, because you have to be just stupid to be an adult and not figure out that climbers sometimes fall off and that being under them is a bad idea for that reason.

Rob

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook