RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

doss

Jan 9, 2004, 2:39 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Spots that have been closed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone list some climbing spots that have been closed recently? I am doing an opinion speech in my public speaking class and i have decided to do it on something around this.

shorty

Jan 9, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Spots that have been closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend you go to the source for access issues -- The Access Fund. Start with www.accessfund.org.

Partner phaedrus

Jan 9, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeremy-

It's not recent, but a few years ago, Reservoir Rocks in Great Barrington, MA was closed to climbers after a tornado blew through it. Interestingly enough, it was opened to hunters before it was opened to climbers; to the best of my knowledge, it's still closed to climbers- it is/was "too dangerous" to climb there due to the debris from the tornado... of course, it IS safe enough to carry a loaded firearm through there.... Supposedly the Access Fund was going to get involved, but I don't know what happened in the end.

mike_the_sumo

Jan 9, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's an area north of Golden Colorado that got f***ed over a couple years ago - IIRC, the site was a historic climbing area from the 50's above an old uranium mine - if you're now picturing an area of maximum human impact, you'd be correct. Jefferson County Open Space - the couty park district - bought the area for an astronomical amount from a developer and declared it a "wilderness preserve" - no human access allowed. The access fund, CMC and American Alpine club fought tooth and nail to gain access and were consistently denied. The rumors floating around were that the county commisioner was overly friendly with the developer and/or owns property abutting the land and wanted "a big backyard at taxpayer expense".
Sorry I can't remember the name of the area - I'm sure searching the rec.climbing archives or asking the guys at climbingboulder.com will fill in the holes.

hth

roughster

Jan 9, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Access Issues & Closures.

smkyrobinson

Jan 14, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Badlands, just outside of vegas, The Shaman Cave was a very popular area around 96-97 then was closed due to wildlife conflicts, namely big horn sheep may visit the cave and use it for mineral and water licks, although a hunter can still purchase a license to bag a sheep on the same land, this closure was unnessesary as the sheep visit in the off season, and the cave saw only light traffic during the best of weather, a seasonal closure would have been more sensible, as it is now there are tons of routes ,some still with draws hanging just sitting out there.

fredbob

Jan 14, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suprised nobody mentioned Cave Rock (Lake Tahoe, CA area). An area closed only to climbers because of religious concerns of native americans. Area lies on Federal land. Certainly this closure violates U.S. Constitution and is being challenged on that ground.

Also, Twin Sisters formation at City of Rocks, ID. Closed because climbers might destroy the "historic viewshed" even though studies showed no one could see the climbers.

There are others...

mbg

Jan 14, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There's an area north of Golden Colorado that got f***ed over a couple years ago - IIRC, the site was a historic climbing area from the 50's above an old uranium mine - if you're now picturing an area of maximum human impact, you'd be correct. Jefferson County Open Space - the couty park district - bought the area for an astronomical amount from a developer and declared it a "wilderness preserve" - no human access allowed. The access fund, CMC and American Alpine club fought tooth and nail to gain access and were consistently denied. The rumors floating around were that the county commisioner was overly friendly with the developer and/or owns property abutting the land and wanted "a big backyard at taxpayer expense".
Sorry I can't remember the name of the area - I'm sure searching the rec.climbing archives or asking the guys at climbingboulder.com will fill in the holes.

hth

I believe that would be the Ralston Buttes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook