Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grabngrip

Jan 10, 2004, 7:04 AM
Post #1 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

2 questions for everyone
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so my first question is this: My girlfriend wants to climb with me but she's also kinda scared of heights. I've been trying to explain to her thats its safe and she'll be safe and she only has to go as heigh as she wants to everything. She really wants to do it but shes really hesitant. So what can i do to make her feel more comfortable about it?
Question two: I saw someone set up a toprope that was kinda strange. The guy put a quickdraw from one bolt to the other the put a locking biner in the middle then put the rope through, and off he went. Has anyone else ever seen someone do this? is this safe?

Daniel :)

climbingurlie

Jan 10, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #2 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2 questions for everyone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The heights thing is fun to get over. I got over it by toproping a lot and contstantly looking down at my belayer and holding a small convo with them while I was taking or being lowered. If you're going to be outside, tell her to take a look around. I loved being able to see Red Rock from really high up my first outdoor trip; just that makes the climb worth it. It also helps to fall a bit, cuz part of being afraid of heights *in my case at least* was that I wasn't fully trusting my gear. Make sure she can trust her gear too. As for the toprope situation, I've never ever heard of that before...

mustclimb69

Jan 10, 2004, 7:12 AM
Post #3 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok I ll try this one
The girlfriend issue will pass she wil gradually become accustomed to falling and get used to heights
The top rope set up could be Ok or could be wrong.
Depending on the legnth of the draw and the distance between the bolts this could have been ok.

For example if the bolts were average width apart and the Draw was actually a shoulder legnth sling between the biners and the angle of the sling was " acceptable" and the sling has a half twist in it then you are Ok.
UYou could beef the system up with locking biners on the bolts and two reversed gate lockers on the rope suspension point. The 2 biners isnt because on is going to break it is because the bend in the rope is more gradual and is easier on you rope for repeated wear and it is redundant, which is good. the twist in the sling is to back up the bolts. If one failed and the twist wasnot there there is a chance that the suspended biners and rope could slide off the half twist bypasses this freak accident. common for trad and big all and adds further rundancy. you could aleo double up on the slings it never hurts and the potential fall does.

Never trust you life to a singel peice of gear!!
Word but OPM for any explinations

grabngrip

Jan 10, 2004, 7:14 AM
Post #4 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah thats also one of the problems, she doesn't trust the gear. One thing i told her after she complained i spend too much money on climbing equipment was that its expensive for a reason, the gear needs to be high grade in order to hold in case someone falls. but I'm planing on taking her toproping

climbersoze

Jan 10, 2004, 7:15 AM
Post #5 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My ex was afraid of heights too. I slowly broke that fear by getting her to do a few short raps, gradually easing into rapping of a 70? foot overhanging boulder (if you have been to MT Yonah in Georgia, you know what boulder I am talking about).

As far as that anchor for a toprope... sounds way sketchy... I wouldn't recommend it, and I sure as hell wouldn't climb on it. Yeah it is quick and easy, but so is doubling a sewn sling, and hooking the bolts with two locking biners, and then clip your locker around that.

If he is gonna be that stingy about his anchor, why didn't he just hook one bolt with a locking biner and use that? Even THAT is safer IMO - but I would still double up, regardless.

Oh, one more thing, if you double a sling for an anchor, give one side a twist and clip through the loop formed by the twist to make sure your biner doesn't slide off if one of your anchor points blows. (You have to see it to understand it).

vegastradguy

Jan 10, 2004, 7:19 AM
Post #6 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first on the TR setup. that's about as unsafe as it gets. two draws would have been fine and much safer. if either bolt had failed, the locker would have slid right off the draw and he would have been very hurt or possibly died.

it sounds like you dont have alot of anchor experience...i would recommend reading up on them (John long's books, Freedom of the Hills) as well as having someone more experienced show you the basics of anchoring so you can identify a bad anchor and a good one.

second. one idea is set up a tr, get her fitted in a harness, then have her climb up a few feet, take in the slack and then have her let go of the wall (make sure rope stretch wont have her hit the ground). let her know why the rope stretches. my fear of climbing vanished once i put my trust in the gear and then saw that the trust was well founded.

third. dont pressure her. let her take it at her own pace. i've seen many people conquer their fear of heights climbing. a gym may be the best place to show her how safe the gear is, since it is a controlled environment.

have fun, and be safe!!!!

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 10, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #7 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The guy put a quickdraw from one bolt to the other the put a locking biner in the middle then put the rope through, and off he went. Has anyone else ever seen someone do this? is this safe?

NEVER DO THIS !!!

As for the heights thing... Don't push her too much, or you just amplify that fear. Let her concure her fears at her own pace. Gyms are best for getting used to the gear.

crushingfinger

Jan 10, 2004, 7:30 AM
Post #8 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not the right way to set up a top anchor. Use two draws one on each bolt oposing each other. I'f the girl is to much of a pain in the neck get ridd of her . 8)

grabngrip

Jan 10, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #9 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok first to Vegastradguy. I've been taught how to set up a toprope so i know that i can set one up right. but like you said learning about how a bad one is setup might be good to know as well. Now to crushingfinger. Can get rid of her, we live together! lol

roughster

Jan 10, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #10 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Beginners.

chossmonkey

Jan 10, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #11 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does she really want to climb, or is it part of her strategy to get you married? Women can be crafty like that. It makes me wonder, if she really was interested in climbing would she care about the money you spend on gear? I had a good friend get lured down that road, I'd hate to see it happen to someone else. That said, some routes feel more scary than others. A route without much exposure would probably be best. Something like a chimney or a narrow wall with walls on both sides so she can't see as easily how high she is. A route with holds she can actually hold onto may help too. If she's that scared maybe a little time in the gym could help. The routes aren't all that tall and there are plenty of holds she could grab with both hands.
That TR setup sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

bighigaz

Jan 10, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #12 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take her climbing... either the fear will pass, or as with many relationships, the climbing will take over, and she'll be gone in a few months... either way your work will be done! :shock:

As for a quickdraw between the anchors, and a locker clipped to it... if my vision of this set up is correct, it's an accident waiting to happen. Tell him to get some instruction for setting anchors before he gets hurt... or worse, before he hurts someone else.

climbhigh2005

Jan 10, 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #13 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is like sex... you have to trust the gear

Anyways I got over my fear of heights by doing high ropes courses... really fun and build great mental stregth... fall a couple of times and show her that you need to trust the gear... And I've never heard anything about that way to toprope!

billcoe_

Jan 10, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #14 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with 3R adam on the TR thing.

Get a real partner on the girlfriend thing. I'm serious about that.

Bill

www.weekendclimber.com is on vacation this month.

brutusofwyde

Jan 10, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #15 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok first to Vegastradguy. I've been taught how to set up a toprope so i know that i can set one up right. but like you said learning about how a bad one is setup might be good to know as well.

I would say "might be good to know as well" is about as tentative and understated as you can get. Make yourself an expert on anchor systems, such that you can design one that is solid, redundant, equalized, and offering no extension regardless of the situation, placements, direction of loading, weather, or state of mind. Read both of the "Climbing Anchors" books by John Long, absorb them, and practice setting up anchors utilizing everything from tree trunks to car bumpers to bolts to nuts and SLCDs to pebbles you find on the beach. Learn to improvise, to see placements, and evaluate anchor systems good, bad, and marginal, at a glance. That being said, never just glance at a fixed anchor, but inspect every inch of the gear comprising the anchor as well as the configuration of said gear. the engineering as it were, not to mention the quality of the rock, soil or other material surrounding the anchor. Thoroughly inspect your gear every time you use it.

I've seen unsafe anchors in locations ranging from Half Dome and El Capitan to ice and alpine climbs in Canada. The American triangle is a common fixed rappel station throughout the United States. Bolts are sometimes placed in detached blocks, Rap rings are sometimes worn to ten percent of their original thickness, fixed pins loosen over time and temperature variations.

In reply to:
Now to crushingfinger. Can't get rid of her, we live together! lol

Your girlfriend is right to be scared of heights. Free fall rapidly develops forces equal to that of being struck by a car travelling 50 mph. I am still afraid of heights after climbing for 35 years. What your girlfriend does not have is confidence in the safety systems involved in climbing. Given your apparent inability (this is based solely on your post, mind you, and no offense intended) to recognize unsafe systems, this lack of confidence might not be less than well-placed.

Regardless, start small, using bombproof anchor systems. Leaving the ground is the first step, simply being suspended by the rope with feet able to touch the ground simply by setting them down. Gradually and at her own pace go higher, developing confidence in both you and the safety systems.

Stay safe, enjoy each other's company, and remember to have fun.

Brutus of Wyde
Old Climbers' Home
Oakland, California

Partner hosh

Jan 10, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #16 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that sounds like the stupidist idea fora top-rope anchor I've ever heard of. Just because something holds, doesn't mean it's safe.

And about your girlfriend who's afraid of heights? Throw her on lead and make her tough it out! That'll get her over her fear of heights! Nah, just kidding. The more you pressure her, the more I'd anticipate her to tense up. Just let her take it at her own pace, which may be very, very slow. But she'll thank you for not rushing her and it'll give her time to stop being afraid and start enjoying what she's doing. Honestly, who could climb and not think it's fun? :wink: good luck with the girl!

brutusofwyde

Jan 10, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #17 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Honestly, who could climb and not think it's fun?

My ex-wife. :?

:)

Brutus

dirtineye

Jan 10, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #18 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Question two: I saw someone set up a toprope that was kinda strange. The guy put a quickdraw from one bolt to the other the put a locking biner in the middle then put the rope through, and off he went. Has anyone else ever seen someone do this? is this safe?

OK, some people have rightly pointed out that this setup is really bad, but here are some reasons:

One qucikdraw or one sling could fail. Even if you had one sling of proper length with the sliding x for the TR biner, that one sling could still fail. One biner for the rope to run through could fail.

Redundancy is an important principle for anchors and that setup had none.

Go look up climbing anchors and see what happens as the angle from two anchor points to the beaering point gets wider.

What you want for two bolts is two slings or draws of the same length that are long enough to make a small angle, 20 to 30 degrees or so. clip one sling to each bolt. You put two opposed locking biners of the same type on the TR, one through each sling.

You could do more elaborate things, but this setup is easy and has redundancy. Even of one bolt breaks, you still have the other bolt, sling and biner to save you. If one sling breaks, the other will save you. if one biner should fail... get the point?

"The anchor must not fail!", is the principle you want to follow.

You can find all this stuff and more in a book called "Climbing Anchors" ,by john long.

grabngrip

Jan 11, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #19 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice everyone.
I guess what i was getting at is if i should have said something. I mean i wanted to say something but i know people can get touchy when you try and help them out so i just stayed quiet.
As far as the girlfriend goes. I got alot of mixed things from people but i'm sure shes not trying to mentally manipulate me as some of you made it sound. She and i have completly different hobbies and since i tried horseback riding with her, she wants to trying climbing with me, and she did. She toproped at the gym and liked it but was still hesitant

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 11, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #20 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ok first to Vegastradguy. I've been taught how to set up a toprope so i know that i can set one up right. but like you said learning about how a bad one is setup might be good to know as well.

I would say "might be good to know as well" is about as tentative and understated as you can get. Make yourself an expert on anchor systems, such that you can design one that is solid, redundant, equalized, and offering no extension regardless of the situation, placements, direction of loading, weather, or state of mind. Read both of the "Climbing Anchors" books by John Long, absorb them, and practice setting up anchors utilizing everything from tree trunks to car bumpers to bolts to nuts and SLCDs to pebbles you find on the beach. Learn to improvise, to see placements, and evaluate anchor systems good, bad, and marginal, at a glance. That being said, never just glance at a fixed anchor, but inspect every inch of the gear comprising the anchor as well as the configuration of said gear. the engineering as it were, not to mention the quality of the rock, soil or other material surrounding the anchor. Thoroughly inspect your gear every time you use it.

I've seen unsafe anchors in locations ranging from Half Dome and El Capitan to ice and alpine climbs in Canada. The American triangle is a common fixed rappel station throughout the United States. Bolts are sometimes placed in detached blocks, Rap rings are sometimes worn to ten percent of their original thickness, fixed pins loosen over time and temperature variations.

In reply to:
Now to crushingfinger. Can't get rid of her, we live together! lol

Your girlfriend is right to be scared of heights. Free fall rapidly develops forces equal to that of being struck by a car travelling 50 mph. I am still afraid of heights after climbing for 35 years. What your girlfriend does not have is confidence in the safety systems involved in climbing. Given your apparent inability (this is based solely on your post, mind you, and no offense intended) to recognize unsafe systems, this lack of confidence might not be less than well-placed.

Regardless, start small, using bombproof anchor systems. Leaving the ground is the first step, simply being suspended by the rope with feet able to touch the ground simply by setting them down. Gradually and at her own pace go higher, developing confidence in both you and the safety systems.

Stay safe, enjoy each other's company, and remember to have fun.

Brutus of Wyde
Old Climbers' Home
Oakland, California

Outstanding reply brutha... That says it all and then some, and everything is 100% spot on.

scubasnyder

Jan 11, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #21 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first one, take her when its nice out and she will love it, and for the second one, i set up like that sometimes it depends where the bolts are placed

curt

Jan 11, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #22 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As to the first question:

If your girlfriend is afraid of heights, I would suggest that you give her 3 or 4 margueritas before she ties in. This will not only take the irrational edge off her acrophobia, but could also pay off in spades later on, after the climbing session is over. :lol:

Curt

mrme

Jan 11, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #23 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok I ll try this one
The girlfriend issue will pass she wil gradually become accustomed to falling and get used to heights
The top rope set up could be Ok or could be wrong.
Depending on the legnth of the draw and the distance between the bolts this could have been ok.

For example if the bolts were average width apart and the Draw was actually a shoulder legnth sling between the biners and the angle of the sling was " acceptable" and the sling has a half twist in it then you are Ok.
UYou could beef the system up with locking biners on the bolts and two reversed gate lockers on the rope suspension point. The 2 biners isnt because on is going to break it is because the bend in the rope is more gradual and is easier on you rope for repeated wear and it is redundant, which is good. the twist in the sling is to back up the bolts. If one failed and the twist wasnot there there is a chance that the suspended biners and rope could slide off the half twist bypasses this freak accident. common for trad and big all and adds further rundancy. you could aleo double up on the slings it never hurts and the potential fall does.

Never trust you life to a singel peice of gear!!
Word but OPM for any explinations

jym probably be good to get your friend use to the equipment....but get her outdoors after a time or two... the rapping thing sounded like a good way to get used to equipment also.

as for the toprope set up you never explained it in well enough detail . if it is set up like this poster is impling in the quote then it is exceptable, but if it was a sling tied straight across from one bolt to the other and no slack inbetween or the angle is too wide then it is a bad bad thing because the less of an angle and straighter across the sling is from the bolts the preasure is added too both bolts instead of distrubting between them. kinda like trying to hold a string taunt (horzontially) with a wait in the middle its easer to relax with the wait hanging in a more vertical way. if you understand what i am saying.

duskerhu

Jan 11, 2004, 9:20 AM
Post #24 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As to the first question:
If your girlfriend is afraid of heights, I would suggest that you give her 3 or 4 margueritas before she ties in. This will not only take the irrational edge off her acrophobia, but could also pay off in spades later on, after the climbing session is over. :lol:
Curt
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have learned over time, that alcohol is the conclusion, or answer, to 99% of the canundrums or situations that curt comes across.

If only he wasn't right so damn often!!! Sheesh!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

duskerhu

diana

Jan 11, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #25 of 44 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About your girlfriend: I assume you have a regular belay partner and you're not counting on her to belay you? If that's the case, why don't you take her to the gym and let her wander off when she gets sketchy, while you two keep climbing. That way she can climb a little and take a break without anyone fussing at her that it was "her turn." Let her ease into it without any pressure. And it's totally cool for you two to have your own hobbies; alone time is crucial.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook