Premier Sponsor:

dr.robert
Deleted

Jan 7, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #1 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Shin Splints!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Now i know this doesn't seem to directly relate to climbing, but it does for me. In the past couple of days i've gotten terrible shin splints from running. And these shin splints are limiting my ability to go climbing.....
So does anyone have any suggestions or remedies to get rid of shin splints or for that matter how to avoid them???? :cry:

climbinganne

Jan 7, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #2 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shin Splints! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when i was an avid gymnast, i used to get shin splints often

we tapped up for practices and competions - gymnastics in the south in the 70's was like the hockey scene of today, heh

rest until they stop hurting and double that amount

get better running shoes..support your arches well

good luck, i know they aren't fun

bnjohns

Jan 7, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #3 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people would say "don't run as much." If that's not an option (and I used to be a serious runner, so I understand if it isn't), maybe try some different shoes. I had various knee and leg problems for a while until I changed brands, and then I was fine. Other good ideas: run on dirt rather than pavement, try icing after runs, cross train on an elliptical trainer, and so forth.

sandbag

Jan 7, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #4 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now i know this doesn't seem to directly relate to climbing, but it does for me. In the past couple of days i've gotten terrible shin splints from running. And these shin splints are limiting my ability to go climbing.....
So does anyone have any suggestions or remedies to get rid of shin splints or for that matter how to avoid them???? :cry:

Depends on how old you are really. Young adults get 'shin splints " due to the periosteum being irritated from the over use and constant pounding that "improper" running can cause. Make sure you're running smoothly, heel to toe, and in addition, do resistive ankle exercises by trying to rotate your ankle while holding it and trying to prevent its motion. Also take a towel, and lay it out on the floor and using your toes, "scrunch" the towel up all the way to the end, and lastly, do reverse calf raises, ie attach a light weight to the end of your foot, or use resistance again, and do sets of 10-15 reps. The pain most associated to adults that have anterior lower leg pain is cause by a) stress fractures and b) the irritation of the tibialis anterior as it repeatedly slaps against your legs because its not toned yet and will be once you run a lot and use some of these exercises. I had shin splints in high school, and never since because i keep my legs in shape. The pain from them is enough motivation to never want to go through it at all. Good luck.

gregtrammell

Jan 7, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #5 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The cause of shin splints is the muscle in the lower leg, on the front side of the bone. If you set your foot flat on the ground (with shoes on) and lift your toes, pressing them into your shoe (the top inside), you will see the muscle move. Repeat this exercise to strengthen the muscle. The muscle is called the tibialis anterior.

andypro

Jan 7, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #6 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started out in bootcamp, I could go on a 3 mile march without horrid horrid shinsplints. After a while, I didn't get them any more. I've found two causes for this:

1) Just need to get your lower legs in better and more even/complete shape. This will keep the muscles from being strained.

2) I dont know how it would work with running (I never got hem while running), but a more upright posture (not leaning forward) really really helped me avoid the evil buggers.

thun

Jan 7, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #7 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm just getting over the exact same thing. i initially injured them playing softball and then super-aggravated them jogging. the pain climbing was especially rough high-stepping or landing from a bouldering problem.

icing will relieve the initial pain, but there really isn't a cure for this except for rest. i would recommend stop climbing and running until the pain goes away, and then wait another few days. you don't want this to be a recurring injury. if you simply can't stop climbing for a few weeks, then i suggest you tape it and take it easy. of course, it will take longer to heal this way. kind of a no-win situation. ..

my method for taping is simply to wrap around the shin fairly tightly. i've heard there's a more appropriate method using some type of criss-cross, but i've never seen and and couldn't find any diagrams online. mine's worked pretty well for me.

worleybird25

Jan 7, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #8 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear a good running shoe with super feet insoles. THis will help prevent shin splints. I used to get them all the time. I played 12 years of soccer.

nagatana

Jan 7, 2004, 8:09 PM
Post #9 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're running on the sidewalk, you might wanna change to the road or track (which are both softer).

allilovesrocks

Jan 7, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #10 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had shin splints due to long distance running. they hurt more than anything... first what i did was bought new running shoes. often times they come from bad shoes.... then when that didnt help, i froze water in those little paper bathroom cups. when they were frozen i tore the top halves of he cup off and then put the ice up and down my shins. i did that for a few weeks with very moderate jogging and easy climbing. it helped marvelously.

jakedatc

Jan 7, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #11 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ohh how many athletes i deal with shin splints..

things are a factor:
-running shoes old worn out or new different style
-Running mechanics pronation (rolling of your foot from outside to inside) in excess contributes. look at your old shoes.. the outside of the heel will be worn out more.
-changes in exercise increase in milage, increase in incline, changes in road conditions (winter roads and sidewalks are much harder then in the summer) also going from roads to soft sand will work your muscles harder
-foot/lower body anatomy Flat feet or high arched feet will tend to get them more easily. look into arch supports or orthotics if its major. Also the angles from you hips to knees and knees to ankles will affect the way you run/walk

fixing..
-rest
-tons of ice.. ice massage works really well (fill dixie cup with water 3/4 of the way.. freeze it.. then rip off the paper so you get 1/2" of bare ice to rub on the muscle(10 mins is ok)
-Stretch front and back.. calf stretches with knee straight and bent to get both muscles.. gently stretch front by having someone push foot down

-Taping the actual shins is useless. if you know the Low-dye or X arch taping and can get someone to do it that may help some for when you are ready to come back
-ibuprophen as directed
-look at the factors above and see which apply to you. change the ones you can change and deal appropriately with the ones you can't change

while it hurts.. do not:
-exercise in the ways mentioned, ankle pumps, towel "scrunches" etc save these for preventing.. not fixing it will make it worse while you are still hurt
-keep running the way you have been- change to elliptical to keep in shape or water jogging.. great for recovering!
-ignore the pain.. can lead to stress fractures and longer recovery time

Phew.. and what i tell people for any injury.. taking a few weeks off is alot better then taking a few months off
Jake

polishbob

Jan 19, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #12 of 12 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The cause of shin splints is the muscle in the lower leg, on the front side of the bone. If you set your foot flat on the ground (with shoes on) and lift your toes, pressing them into your shoe (the top inside), you will see the muscle move. Repeat this exercise to strengthen the muscle. The muscle is called the tibialis anterior.
no it's not. the cause of the shin splinst are micro- fractures between tibia fibula and interosseus membrane. tib anterior is a factor, it's usually to weak. the most likely cause are tight posterior calf muscles (gastrocnemus, soleus and muscles of posterior compartment). it can be related to collapsing arch of the foot (custom footbeds or orthodics are recommended). also lack of stretching of posterior calf muscles and too weak tib anterior.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook