RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

gunkiemike

Jan 21, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Adding an external battery to digi-cam
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I want to have an external battery pack for my digital camera (HP 812) for cold weather. Any reason why it's not as simple as plugging it into the side port marked "DC in 3.3 V"? That's for the charger adapter that I don't have. Can I leave the NiMH batt's in the camera while another set are plugged in from the external pack? (I know better than to mix battery types)

kingman

Jan 21, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adding an external battery to digi-cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The solution may be even easier then making a battery pack. Lithium batteries are, as I understand, not affected by cold. and they are lighter then normal batts.

sandbag

Jan 21, 2004, 3:20 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adding an external battery to digi-cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I want to have an external battery pack for my digital camera (HP 812) for cold weather. Any reason why it's not as simple as plugging it into the side port marked "DC in 3.3 V"? That's for the charger adapter that I don't have. Can I leave the NiMH batt's in the camera while another set are plugged in from the external pack? (I know better than to mix battery types)

Its not a problem when you plug into the DC 3.3V that you need to worry about, its the mA rating that you need to really make sure you dont exceed or youll burn the thing up. Most AC/DC adapters commonly known as wall worts are just simple step down transformers that you can either charge from or even operate from. You shouldnt have to worry about a battery pack if its designed for that camera, however, if you put non rechargeable batteries in the unit, they will not do so well. This could be a cool little project, build the battery pack and incorporate blocking diodes to bypass the alkaline or non rechargable batteries to allow multi power usage...or you could just see if HP made a battery pack too....either way..good luck enmough of my geekery

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook