Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Closure of Queen Creek / Oak Flat AZ climbing areas.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

climblouisiana

Jan 23, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #76 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Re: Closure of Queen Creek / Oak Flats AZ climbing areas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kennecott mining was responsible for closing the road to Lower Devil's Canyon.

This is the first thing that came up when I typed Kennecott mining queen creek into GOOGLE. http://arizona.sierraclub.org/...climbing/devils.html

In reply to:
In late 2001 the Tonto National Forest allowed the closure of the Lower Devils Canyon road by the Kennecott mining company so that Kennecott can explore for copper in the area south of Oak Flat campground. This has eliminated the usual vehicular access to the great rock climbing formations and canyoneering trailheads along west side of Lower Devils Canyon, from Z-Bop all the way down to the Glitter Box and the Five Pools.

Kennecott's current drilling permit is scheduled to expire in December 2002, but as of December 2002 the road is still closed. Kennecott's ultimate goal is to begin mining some day.

We need letters from the climbing and canyoneering community to the Tonto National Forest to stop this loss of recreational access.

District Ranger Larry Widner
Globe Ranger District, Tonto National Forest
7680 S. Sixshooter Canyon Road
Globe, AZ 85501

What does the future hold for the Devils Canyon climbing area have if we don't stop Kennecott? To get some idea, take a drive about 10 miles east of the Town of Superior, on Highway 77, where the open-pit Ray Mine has "removed" what used to be the lower end of Devils Canyon. 250,000 tons per day. Silicate leaching. Sulfide dump leaching. Solvent extraction. Not a pretty picture.

Be a friend of the Devils Canyon climbing area. Write to the Forest Service. Act now to help save the Devils Canyon and Queen Creek Canyon climbing area!

For more information, contact Ted Gartner 480-961-0370 (gartneraz@netzero.net)

Sample letter

District Ranger Larry Widner
Globe Ranger District, Tonto National Forest
7680 S. Sixshooter Canyon Road
Globe, AZ 85501

Subject: Kennecott Exploration Company Resolution Project

Dear Larry,

I am writing to state my opposition to the Tonto National Forest's permitting of the Kennecott Exploration Company's Resolution Project. This project has closed the Lower Devils Canyon road to vehicular access for recreational use, and is not compatible with Forest Service philosophy of multiple uses of public lands.

I am a recreational user of the Lower Devils Canyon area and have enjoyed, and hope to continue to enjoy, recreational opportunities there. Lower Devils Canyon comprises a significant portion of a world-renowned rock climbing area bordered by Queen Creek Canyon to the west and Devils Canyon to the east. The number
of climbing routes in this area is well-documented in the guidebooks Rock Guide to Queen Creek Canyon, by Marty Karabin, and Rock Climbing Arizona, by Stewart Green. The annual Phoenix Bouldering Contest, conducted annually from nearby Oak Flat campground, attracts climbers from all over the world to this area every year. In addition, the Lower Devils Canyon road provides the only reasonable access to the world-class "Five Pools" canyoneering area of Devils Canyon, as documented in the guidebook Canyoneering in Arizona, by Tyler Williams.

The Forest Service decision to allow closure of the Lower Devils Canyon road was done without adequate public notice and comment to the climbing and canyoneering community. It is alarming that the Forest Service would close this road to vehicular access without making any effort to consult with the recreational user groups that would be most affected.

To exclude hikers and climbers from vehicular access to Lower Devils Canyon is in effect promoting the commercial needs of a mining company over the broader needs of the general public, including hikers and climbers. Kennecott's ultimate goal of mining this area is not compatible with any recreational uses. I am adamantly opposed to the current closure of the Lower Devils Canyon road, and any further permitting of Kennecott to conduct copper explorations in this area.

climblouisiana

Jan 23, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #77 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Forest Service allowed the closure of the road to Lower Devil's Canyon without adequate public notice.

It can happen again... with far worse consequences.

Let your voice be heard.

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 4:07 AM
Post #78 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also somewhat agree with arizona rocks. And QC is not a premier area, it's just convenient area to pad ones ego on over-bolted, soft-rated, no hike required grungy tuffa......Pernell

What is it about this thread that has caused all the retarded gumby grommets to post here? Like this little pillowbiter -

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=16941

who is obviously about to herniate himself on some chossy 5.4 boulder problem that is covered in lichen. You know what Pernell, since you obviously wouldn't know good climbing even if you were staring at it, maybe you aren't the most qualified person to post on this topic.

I would encourage anyone who wants to help with preserving Oak Flat to join in. Conversely, I encourage anyone who doesn't care about the future of Oak Flat to simply stay the hell out of this thread.

Curt

dief

Jan 23, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #79 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, my job just got easier. We'll only save the "premier" climbing areas. Only one problem: One person's "premier" area is another's hell hole. I honestly can't think of a single climbing area that I wouldn't try to help save. I've written letters for areas that this old fart ain't ever going to get to. Climbing has been my life for nearly thirty years and it has been very, very good to me. Anything I can do to help pass it on is a small price to pay for admission.

I'm not sure why a few folks feel the need to piss on the fire but in the end they will have to live with the stench. We win some battles and we lose others. The thing that matters most in the end is "Where were you when the work was hard and the days were long?"

Thus endeth the lesson for today.

Keep those postcards and letters comming and we'll give the big guys a run for their money!!!!

allarounder

Jan 23, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #80 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look, as per usual, the RC.com croud is going off half cocked and misquoting the main points of the thread.

Remember, as Curt stated, this is to be an underground mine. Significant difference between an open pit (which is not a strip mine - that's coal). Please get your facts straight when posting and read the thread.

I sent an email today to a contact with Kennecott's parent company requesting info or a better contact to try to find out what is REALLY going on so I can pass along some useful info. He's out of the office till February, and I'll be out of touch until mid-February. When I get info, I'll pass it along.

I also submitted a letter to the Public Affairs officer with Tonto NF in support of Queen Creek and providing what info I could regarding mining methods. I'd quote it, but its on my computer at work.

Like some of you guys, I'm not a boulderer, and chasing bolts isn't always the first thing I want to do. I've never been to Queen Creek, but I might just come out this spring to check it out. Protecting climbing resources is important to all of us. Why protect one and not another. I'd like to think that economic benefits can be realized without affecting climbing access if there is an economic resource there. We'll see.

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 5:29 AM
Post #81 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Look, as per usual, the RC.com croud is going off half cocked and misquoting the main points of the thread.

Remember, as Curt stated, this is to be an underground mine. Significant difference between an open pit (which is not a strip mine - that's coal). Please get your facts straight when posting and read the thread.

I sent an email today to a contact with Kennecott's parent company requesting info or a better contact to try to find out what is REALLY going on so I can pass along some useful info. He's out of the office till February, and I'll be out of touch until mid-February. When I get info, I'll pass it along.

I also submitted a letter to the Public Affairs officer with Tonto NF in support of Queen Creek and providing what info I could regarding mining methods. I'd quote it, but its on my computer at work.

Like some of you guys, I'm not a boulderer, and chasing bolts isn't always the first thing I want to do. I've never been to Queen Creek, but I might just come out this spring to check it out. Protecting climbing resources is important to all of us. Why protect one and not another. I'd like to think that economic benefits can be realized without affecting climbing access if there is an economic resource there. We'll see.

Dave,

I'll say again in this thread what I told you via PM, and that is I really appreciate your assistance here. Someone like yourself, with a background in mining engineering, who can explain to the NFS how to mine the copper ore without affecting the surface of the land in question is invaluable to have on our side. Please do let me know if you are coming down here to climb in the spring.

Curt

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #82 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ocotillo,
In reply to:
You're also very close to being categorized as a babyboomer, so any descenting opinion to you is the wrong opinion.
Was the word "dissenting" the word you would have used, if you had any comand of the English language? Tard. Its pretty clear that the lameness of your thought is exceeded only by your inability to express it properly.

Curt

roughster

Jan 23, 2004, 5:50 AM
Post #83 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok until the big wigs come check out this thread, everyone take a freakin chill pill. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants this place (Oak Flats) shut down.

Everyone do your part, because the forest service manages a lot of land that climbing areas sit on. You want your home crag to be next?

Partner philbox

Jan 23, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #84 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil Box has split this thread off from the main thread. There is some discussion worth keeping here even though the original thread got derailed a little. Curt will explain more.

moabbeth

Jan 23, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #85 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who actively roots for a climbing area to be shut down and mined isn't a real climber at heart. No climber would wish that for another climber's crag, no matter what they think of it.

What the hell was the penile comparison size stuff for :roll: ? This is one hella strange thread.

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #86 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Phil Box has split this thread off from the main thread. There is some discussion worth keeping here even though the original thread got derailed a little. Curt will explain more.

Phil has performed an important community service. If anyone feels that the quality of climbing at Queen Creek / Oak Flat is not worth preserving, please post in this thread. The original thread that I started, in order to try and save the area from mining should be reserved for sincere contributions along those lines. Thanks.

Curt

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 7:23 AM
Post #87 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because of the nature of some of the posts in this thread, this thread has been split into two separate threads. If you sincerely want to help save Oak Flat / Queen Creek from closure, due to potential mining activities, please post here. If instead, you want to voice an opinion that Oak Flat is inferior quality climbing or not worthy of saving, etc., please post that in the "worth saving" thread. Thanks.

Curt

epic_ed

Jan 23, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #88 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What the hell was the penile comparison size stuff for :roll: ?

I thought we were comparing cheater sticks? :wink:

drkodos

Jan 23, 2004, 7:53 AM
Post #89 of 619 (15947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I make these observations about QC. Argue with me if you want
Ok, i think i will...
In reply to:
-QC is the epicenter of central AZ climbing. It easily boasts the highest concentration of routes between Tucson's Lemmon and Flag's many sibling crags, and the highest concentration of bolt-protected routes and boulders in the Phoenix area as well. Likely more than any of the "other 20" sport destinations in the whole state.

-QC has routes of every grade and varied style. Again, a range broader than anything else I've seen in the state, aside from Lemmon.

-QC is closer and more practical to central AZ climbers than the bolts of Jacks, which are about 3 hours away, and really damn cold this time of year.

-PBC. 'nuff said.

QC is not my local or #1 crag, but it's a critical climbing resource in Arizona. Just in case people didn't know that ;)

Here's a few facts too
Queen Creek sucks dead donkey co*k.
yes it has a high concentration of bolted routes - and the vast majority of which are boring,samey and lame.
Oh its one sharp pocket to the next,and the next,step up on sharp pocket and repeat, ad nauseum.
The only route i ever came close to falling asleep on was a route at the pond.
Varied style???? - you must be joking. There's no variety, come to queen creek for a weekend, then dont bother coming back. keep going to lemmon or flag where you might encounter something called an edge,or a sloper or maybe this mythical pinch that i hear exists outside Q.C. word.
Yes there's some cool boldering, if you can climb for more than 30 minutes without loosing all skin on your fingers.
But as i heard someone say on another forum once, you dont see visiting euros making the trek to oak flats to bolder, why?, cos its its a moderately decent area - at best.
I say ,mine the whole thing, close it down, starting with the abysmal mine area and magma gardens, moving swiftly on to the wonderful trad nightmare chosspile that is the little england wall.
id rather go to the gym.
P.s Jack's is beautiful in the cold,its climbable all year round if one wasnt so afraid of climbing when its dropped below 70 degrees.
Peace out Arizona Friends!
-John Gaynor (who has a 12 inch one)

What a great thread and post. This is the type of excellent work that will be tough for the DIP Academy to overlook. Fanatstic work, this.

[indigo]Come One, Come All !! Verily, Ye all are welcome to attend:
[/indigo]
DIP* Corp. Presents:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~2004~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~Renaissance User Awards~~~~~~~~~

drkodos internet productions (a division of Kodoscorp)
not a sponsored event--this space available--find the hidden links

Here is what last years Ceremony Host has to say:

http://www.pscelebrities.com/alhead1.gif

"Grandpa " Al Lewis of The Munsters here.

I haven't had much work since teaming up with Fred Gwynne in that great show. Car 54 was OK but I guess was before most of your time, but I digress. When my best fiend drkodos came up to the attic and opened the coffin and asked me to host the awards, it was the biggest thing for me since my time on the Howard Stern show, or when I ran for governor.

Anyway, I get caught up with all that but I'm here telling you to particpate and attend these very prestigious awards that my very dearest friend and his academy of lunatics are hosting. Click on this very message to hop through a magical portal. Similar to that time I brewed a concoction for Marylin....

And if you see that fink, Eddie, tell him to call once in a while.

mutant

Jan 23, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #90 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be actively involved with the access issues at QC. We really need to pull the power from the people in our climbing community so our voice is strong. We shall be heard if we are intelligent in our efforts. Do your research and form a strong opinion towards this problem. We will not let the Bastar#@* grind us down.

Mutant

me_lad

Jan 23, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #91 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Id help if possible. Ive had some good times in queen creek ,especially back when i started climbing and some bouldering too.
-Maurice.

allarounder

Jan 23, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #92 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xxx

allarounder

Jan 23, 2004, 3:53 PM
Post #93 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xxx

deafclimber

Jan 23, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #94 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:cry: bump....

deafclimber

Jan 23, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #95 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:cry: bump....

epic_ed

Jan 23, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #96 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So can you shead some light on what the "block caving" mining process involves? Is it a process that may allow for mining to occur while the land mass above remains accessible?

Ed

allarounder

Jan 23, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #97 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xxx.

curt

Jan 23, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #98 of 619 (77220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems as though the crux of this issue is revealing itself fairly early on. Rio Tinto is proposing (not surprisingly) the most economic method for extracting the copper ore from this mine. However, this method (block caving) will make use of the surface above the mine impossible.

So, it seems to me that our job is to convince the NFS and perhaps even Rio Tinto/Kennecott, that it is worth using a slightly more expensive mining method (Stope and fill) to extract this ore. The additional cost must be borne because of the unique resource on the surface that will be otherwise destroyed.

I really hope we can win that argument.

Curt

epic_ed

Jan 23, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #99 of 619 (76452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So this type of mining would have a dramatic affect on both access and the landscape. Nice.

Looks like we're in for a battle.

allarounder

Jan 23, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #100 of 619 (76451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xxx

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook