Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flagstaff_climber

Jan 25, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #26 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Re: magnets for tendinitis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most of the research with magnets is testimonial, they can't figure out why they work, but they do!

I suggest buying a Nikken brace (ebay where they're cheaper) and wear it consistently to see an effect. I know 3 out of 3 people it has worked for (all specifically elbow tendonitis too). Not a huge sample, but 100% indeed.

I had busted my shoulder and wore the magnetic shoulder brace for a month when I slept. Before this I had 6 months of no improvement. After a month with the magnet I was all better. I also use it for wrist, knee, and ankle pain.

Kitchen magnets will not work. Check out Nikken's site.

Good luck and get well soon,
Pam

Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster swear by them :) Using magnets to heal a case of tendonitis is just silly ! The magnets have no curative effect whatsoever and it will heal on it's on if you just give it some rest.

Rick

Rick

captianstatic

Jan 25, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #27 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From my experience the best thing to do when tendinitis strikes is rest. I know that's not the answer you're looking to see but rest, coupled with working out your pushing muscles (push ups, bench press ect.) will help aleviate the pain

captianstatic

Jan 25, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #28 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikken is way overpriced bullshit. My aunt used to hock that crap. It's plecebo all the way.

bryanhill

Jan 26, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #29 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to the idiots. Placebo or no, the magnets have helped me work out tendonitis in the wrist. People with their heads in their ass and who have been brainwashed in into drops loads of money into 'conventional' medicine should be ignored. Do it, they work.

Bryan

flagstaff_climber

Jan 26, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #30 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't listen to the idiots. Placebo or no, the magnets have helped me work out tendonitis in the wrist. People with their heads in their ass and who have been brainwashed in into drops loads of money into 'conventional' medicine should be ignored. Do it, they work.

Bryan

You would rather have someone spend the same money or more on snake oil ? Do you own one of those vortex magnets that gives you 100 MPG as well ?

Just because you used them and your tendonitis got better means nothing, what socks were you wearing ? They might have helped out too or maybe it was your toothpaste ? Or maybe it just healed on it's own, the human body has been known to do that from time to time.

To call someone an idiot for not believing in medical magnets is almost laughable, except that someone might actually listen to you. Get yourself a science book and learn about cause and effect and how one goes about proving such things.

Rick

taorock

Jan 26, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #31 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is quite interesting. Lots of folks coming on with total certainty that something is indeed a fact (magnets as bullsh*t). Science (and climbing) is at root about exploration and openness to new and different things. When this aspect of science is lost you have dogma.

Do magnets work? I don't know. I do know that at the molecular level (as in organic chemistry) the effects of electricity and magnetism operate in very subtle yet profound ways. Physics essentially notes that matter is a form of energy. Science is not all certainty. If one believes that it is, they will surely be "frozen in time".

BTW, a link given above to a site with "skeptic" in the URL was very good. The site was not rabid like several posters on this thread. It allowed for the concept that we do not know the final word on the mysteries of the Universe.

BTW no.2, The term placebo is fascinating. In the background it acknowledges that things happen in a very unknowable way at the same time it disses on something being "unscientific" (whatever that is).

With respect to Gary Larson: Don't freak out if you find yourself without your duck.

flagstaff_climber

Jan 26, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #32 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is nothing wrong with being open minded, this is the very basis of the scientific method. It is however reckless to suggest that something has curative properties without evidence that such is the case.

There will always be people out there that are uninformed enough to believe it and put their trust in unproven and ineffective treatments. While it may seem harmless on it’s face, any Quack remedy is dangerous on many levels.

Rick

thinksinpictures

Jan 26, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #33 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
These actually work. And, after your elbow is better, wrap the magnets around your car's carburetor or fuel injection system. You should start getting around 100 miles per gallon.

And once you've tried both of those, open up your computer and wrap the magnets around your hard drive. Then try to log back on to rc.com and complain that none of it worked :roll:

whipper

Jan 26, 2004, 3:31 AM
Post #34 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, a lot of angry people responding to this one who I assume are all doctors since they know absolutely what will help and what will not, I am sure that they will argue just as strongly about god being the creator even though they can not prove it, lighten up and open your minds. How did those cortozone shots work for you, bitsofsod? and your western treatment wideguy? it seems to me that good ole western medicine will drug you untill that doesn't work then cut you up? how about any one out there who has had western med cure their tendonitis? I know several people who have hade luck with other methods.

curt

Jan 26, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #35 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, and those crop circles. I mean who doesn't believe that UFOs are truly responsible? Hahahahaha. Tard.

Curt

revdeuno

Jan 26, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #36 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take ibuprofen to reduce swelling (what causes you pain) and take some time off from climbing all together, anything else is plainly a placebo.

flagstaff_climber

Jan 26, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #37 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, and those crop circles. I mean who doesn't believe that UFOs are truly responsible? Hahahahaha. Tard.

Curt

You mean those things are not made by extraterrestrial beings who traveled thousands of light years to mow wheat ?

Rick

flechenbones

Jan 26, 2004, 5:53 AM
Post #38 of 38 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most of the research with magnets is testimonial, they can't figure out why they work, but they do!

Please check out the following website if you are unaware of the problems with testimonial evidence. Controlled studies (double-blind, placebo-controlled studies for example) are necessary when evaluating treatments. If the testimonials truly reflected an effective treatment then it will pass scientific scrutiny and will be published in accepted peer-reviewed journals. This link deals with important issues relating to science and alternative treatments.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/scivsalt.html

Here is another good summary of the issue. Includes a discussion of study design as well as past legal action against companies advocating magnets for therapeutic purposes.
http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/QA/magnet.html

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook