Forums: Climbing Partners: US - MidWest:
Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on college)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

builttospill

Feb 11, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on college)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hey, I’ve got a question about climbing in your area. I’m considering transferring from my current school this fall, but I’m not sure where I’m headed yet. Some of the deciding factors (although relatively minor ones) are how close rock climbing is to campus, how close there is a rock gym (if there is no real rock nearby), how close mountains are, how high these mountains are, how interesting the routes up the mountains are (since I’m an aspiring mountaineer more than a sport climber), etc. So if you know anything about the schools listed at the bottom, please answer these questions when you get a chance (please bear with me, the list is very long…..I am attempting to narrow it down at the moment):

1.How close are the nearest mountains, and how high are they? Are there any classics in the near vicinity?
2.What is the closest rock climbing area to campus?
3.If there are no nearby rock climbing areas (within an hour’s drive or so), what is the nearest rock gym to campus?
4.Is there any ice-climbing in the area?

Non-rock climbing related questions:
1.What is the nearest ski resort to campus?
2.Are there any whitewater rivers nearby (as I’m also into kayaking)? How far from campus are we talking?

Thanks for your help. If you are particularly knowledgeable about one of the schools listed or the cities that they are in, let me know, since I have some other questions. I didn’t feel like posting them all, because most had nothing to do with rock climbing, and this is a rock climbing forum. Thanks A LOT.

Kenyon College
Truman state
Carleton College
Grinnell College
Millsaps University
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Denison University
Washington University in St. Louis
University of Iowa
Iowa State University
Wartburg College
Ohio State
Kansas State
University of Kansas
University of Michigan
Indiana University
Michigan State
University of Minnesota-twin cities
University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign campus

Thanks again. A LOT.

scubasnyder

Feb 11, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Re: Want: Climbing Info for Various Towns (deciding on colle [In reply to]
Report this Post

WTF whats with postin this like 4 times

shatter

Feb 11, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm currently going to MSU-Bozeman and see that it's not on your list...might want to check it out...

1.How close are the nearest mountains, and how high are they? Are there any classics in the near vicinity? 10-20 mins away, 10,000ish...
2.What is the closest rock climbing area to campus? 10 mins..."The Pass" about 15 mins to "Practice Rock"
3.If there are no nearby rock climbing areas (within an hour’s drive or so), what is the nearest rock gym to campus? There is a gym on Campus...free with tuition...there is another gym on the other side of town(10 mins in bad traffic)but, I've never been.
4.Is there any ice-climbing in the area? Though I don't Ice climb...I hear Hylite Canyon is among the best in the Nation...

Non-rock climbing related questions:
1.What is the nearest ski resort to campus? 20 mins
2.Are there any whitewater rivers nearby (as I’m also into kayaking)? How far from campus are we talking? Yup, we have the Yellowstone, the Galiton, the Madison, Jefferson, Etc...There are places where you can Kayak, climb out of your boat and climb right there...

check out:
http://www.montana.edu - the school
http://www.montanaice.com/ - IceClimbing in Hylite

builttospill

Feb 11, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
WTF whats with postin this like 4 times

I posted different schools in all 5 different forums.......sorry, there are a lot of them. At least I kept them to the appropriate regions, right?

Shatter,
thanks for the info on Bozeman, I mentioned it in the Mountain States post, but I wasn't really actively considering it until you posted. I knew it had some awesome outdoor opportunities nearby. How are the academics?

Still looking for help.....

willywilderness

Feb 12, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Builttospill:

Hard to give too much advice since you did not list any specific academic requirements. However, for the outdoor requirements you listed here are my choices:

Fort Lewis College - Durango, CO
Montana State University - Bozeman, MT
University of Arkansas - Fayettville, AR
Boise State University - Boise, ID
Utah State University - Logan, UT
Fort Hays State University - Hays, KS (just kidding, my alma mater)

Anyway, all of those have georeous mountains nearby, great climbing opportunity and available whitewater. You got your priorities right though. Go where your personal life will be the fullest. Good luck!

builttospill

Feb 12, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

willywilderness,
I didn't ask for academic suggestions cause I had already narrowed it down some. Someone else has suggested Bozeman as well, which means I may have to reconsider. I'll check how good they are for my major (political science).

Of the schools I've listed, what do you think? I also listed schools in other regions in the other forums....these are just my "midwest" choices.

watchme

Feb 12, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I posted a reply to your other, er, post. I graduated both from Fort Lewis in Durango, and MSU in Bozeman. Both are great schools, with tons of great stuff to do. Nothing in the east or midwest even comes close.

stefanohatari

Feb 12, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, Boulderer. I'm a staff person at Carleton, which without question is the strongest school academically on your list. I suspect Carleton wouldn't leave you much time if you love climbing more than academics.

We have a Nicros climbing wall, and a lot of serious wall rats. Routes are changed frequently.

Nearest climbing is Barn Bluff, about 45 minutes away. Great climbing at Taylor's Falls, Blue Mound State Park, Lake Superior. Kayaking up north somewhere (not a kayaker). Mountains--not to speak of. Ice-climbing? In Minnesota, yes, in the Twin Cities and points north, though I suspect there's good stuff in Southeastern Minnesota that no one's found. Nearest ski resort: Welch Village, about 30 minutes away, though if you are from the mountainous east or west coasts, you will be disappointed when you see it.

Carleton has a break from Thanksgiving to New Years, which is helpful for trips to JTree and points south. You'd find a community of climbers at Carleton.

If you are going to spend $100, 000. on college in the next four years, go to a great one! Otherwise, spend $100, 000. on climbing in the next four years, and then go to college.

fitzontherocks

Feb 12, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I graduated from Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi. There is no Millsaps University and there's certainly no climbing near Millsaps College. It's an excellent school, but you might want to cross it off your list.

brittamac

Feb 12, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm guessing New England isn't where you want to head? Its got the mountains, rock, the ice, the gyms, skiing, whitewater and flatwater. Oh yeah, its got more colleges per capita than anywhere else (minor detail).

willywilderness

Feb 13, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Builttospill:

I left the midwest (Kansas) in the late seventies (I'm almost fifty). Since then I have lived exclusively in the Rocky Mountain and Southwest regions of the U.S.. The only two mid-west schools I can comment on are University of Kansas and Kansas State. Both are great for academics and are in fine college towns (Lawrence and Manhattan respectively). However, for your outdoor requirements I would suggest you seek education elsewhere. I just think you would be frustrated by having to drive such a distance to go climb, kayak or other.

Everything you have expressed makes me think the Rocky Mountain, Southwest or Western regions of the U.S. would match better with your requirements.

builttospill

Feb 14, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Stefanohatari: Thanks. What is Carleton's atmosphere like? And how disappointed will I be with the ski resort? I suppose I can check it out online and see.

builttospill

Feb 14, 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

fitzontherocks: sorry, I guess I meant millsaps college. Thanks for helping my decision, haha.

brittamac: I am seriously considering some schools in new england. Then again, I'm also considering schools in the pacific northwest, california, colorado, the mid-atlantic and just about everywhere else. I do like new england for everything it has to offer, plus there are some really good liberal arts schools there that are attractive.

willywilderness: Yeah, I figured as much as soon as I started looking at midwest schools. I probably am going to cross off just about all the midwest schools off my list except maybe the ones in the north (wisconsin, minnesota, etc). What is the terrain like in these states? I've never really been there since I was 6 or 7 and can't remember anything from it. Are there any mountains, or are they a continuation of kansas and the rest of the plains states? Well, actually, I've seen Fargo and that's shot in Minnesota, so I guess I have my answer.

bnjohns

Feb 14, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Stefanohatari: Thanks. What is Carleton's atmosphere like? And how disappointed will I be with the ski resort? I suppose I can check it out online and see.

I'm a Carleton College grad, and I'll second stefanohatari's statement about it being the strongest academically. It's also smaller than a lot of schools that are on your list. Classes are small, professors are personable, students are intense but not too competitive.

Barn Bluff is a pretty decent sport crag, Taylor's is a good (though sometimes crowded) place to toprope. Way out in the western part of the state (3 hour drive or so) is a place called Blue Mounds, which offers a lot of good, short routes. There are longer and more technically challenging climbs in the northern part of MN, near Duluth.

If you are used to skiing either in the east or (especially) west, the skiing in Minnesota will make you cry.

bnjohns

Feb 14, 2004, 4:30 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

One more thing -- I was a polisci major at Carleton, and they have a very good polisci department. They also have an International Relations major, which is taught mostly by people in the polisci department, but has somewhat different requirements.

And another thing about the Duluth area -- there's a no-chalk ethic up there, so if your hands are really sweaty, you might be out of luck!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook