Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coldclimb

Nov 24, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Alaska climbers: meet up next summer?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All right, who's up for another gathering in Hatcher Pass, Alaska next summer? Got a few more members up here now than we did last June, so maybe we can get something bigger this time.

How about the locals? A lot of us know each other now from climbing at the gym and the gathering in June. Any specific time anyone would want to go camp out in Hatchers for a few days? Last summer it was June 20th-30th, which worked out well.

And how about the southerners? ;) Anybody planning a trip to Alaska next summer and would like to meet up and climb? If so, when?

Got almost two feet of snow in my yard now, and school's closed today, so I'm stuck at home thinking about climbing. Summer can't come soon enough.

baza_arrampicare

Nov 24, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #2 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alaska climbers: meet up next summer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there, you dirty hippie :lol:
And i will be, this time. Possibly without odd injuries...
:roll:

climber49er

Nov 24, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be at Hatchers this weekend with a long brush to clear off boulders, wanna go? :lol:

Partner coldclimb

Nov 24, 2003, 9:14 PM
Post #4 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be there, you dirty hippie :lol:
And i will be, this time. Possibly without odd injuries...
:roll:

hehe, just replied to your boston thread asking you. ;) This time we'll have to meet up somewhere outside the valley maybe, so I can lead you in and show you the right way to take on the cliffs. ;) :lol:

And 49er, I'll be working at the Colony High School Christmas bazaar this weekend, but have fun in the snow anyway. How are you getting up there? And why not just hit the slopes instead of going through all that work for the cold boulders? ;)

My brand new 2004 Climbing magazine calendar (won at the comp on Sat. ;) ) tells me that June 21st through 30th works for me. Gotta love spending the solstice in Hatchers. :D How does this look for everyone else so far? And how many people will be wanting to come?

climbhigh2005

Nov 24, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!! I will be in Alaska May 20th-Jun2!! If you could plan it during that time it would be awesome!! =) I'm way down from Tennessee!!

krestkid

Nov 24, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #6 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to attend the gathering. I am going to be in Anchor-town for West High's graduation ceremonies. I agree with cchsclimber about possibly meeting at the end of May...I have to be back in TX for first summer session. We'll see how things go...

Partner coldclimb

Nov 24, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #7 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I dunno about the end of may. Might be pretty snowy up in Hatchers still. Anyone know how the other climbing areas around here will be around then?

rocknalaska

Nov 24, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #8 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You never know for sure. This year hatchers was open at the end of May. Last year it was still full of snow.

Weiner is good at that time. About 90 sport routes on one long wall, plus bouldering below. Although it is still a bit dirty it keeps getting better.

Can't think of any other good places though.

Todd

Partner coldclimb

Dec 2, 2003, 5:46 AM
Post #9 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like the snow is probably gonna take a little while to melt out of there this year. I've got three feet in my yard already, so Hatchers is gonna have tons. I don't think May is going to work for Hatchers. Might have to go for July this year, or maybe just bring snowshoes. ;) Anybody up for the 4th of July? Or maybe sometime later in the month?

And for you guys coming in May, I'll be more than happy to climb with you. Shoot me a message or two before you come, and we can arrange something somewhere out of the mountains. :)

prezwoodz

Dec 2, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #10 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Coldclimb :) you know ill be in for it next summer!! So count me in on that one! Also tell me when you will be in sometime for some climbing if ya want! Kinda Jacked my finger up sparring in Kung Fu but hey no much can stop my climbing fun !

climber49er

Dec 2, 2003, 7:20 AM
Post #11 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Todd,
Is there any kind of guidebook/route ratings list of any kind for the Weiner wall? I was up there in September bouldering and walked up to the wall and thought... "yikes! is there any easy stuff?"

A Weiner lake gathering would be super fun in May. Hatchers later in the summer...

Partner coldclimb

Dec 2, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, two gatherings would be great fun too. ;)

tarzan420

Dec 3, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #13 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If
a) I Have a car and
b) I am around (the state)

I could probably make some plans to come down there, sounds like great fun!

As far as end of May, I've climbed at Grapefruit up here before June several times in the last two springs (sorry about this sentance, i realize that it's difficult to read)
There's not a whole lot of climbing at grapefruit or other crags around here (granite tors being the exception) but enough to keep most anyone (except 5.12+ climbers) busy for a couple of days.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 12, 2004, 8:43 AM
Post #14 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, it's just about time to start getting some dates together for this. How's the end of June for all you who care to attend? I could dig two weeks camping out, from the 21st of June to the 3rd of July possibly, or maybe even sometime over the 4th of July weekend. How much time are you guys gonna want to take?

tarzan420

Feb 12, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #15 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be able to be there - really depends on if I get an internship up here or not - if i'm up here this summer, i'll probably be buying a vee-hick-ull (as us idahoans say), which will make it much easier to get down there. If I come down there, i'll probably have another person with me ane maybe be meeting several (possibly 3 or more) of my friends (non rc.com'ers) there. I'll post in the relevant forum when i find out (2+ months)

edit: i just realized that i've already posted. oh well.

climbhigh2005

Feb 12, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #16 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there May 21st-June 2nd! :D

Partner xcel360

Feb 12, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #17 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy, I just might be in Alaska for some time this summer and would love to attend. As it is I'm leaving Florida for the summer to visit my friend in California and was thinking about taking a trip up to Alaska at some point, maybe stopping off at Squamish on my way there and back. I dunno yet, but I'm gonna start planning accordingly. Where in AK is Hatcher's Pass? I'm open to any dates as is I really do not have a set schedule.

<=glen=>

Partner coldclimb

Feb 13, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #18 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hatcher Pass is in southcentral, close to Wasilla and Palmer, and about an hour or so drive from Anchorage.

At the end of May, when Melissa will be here, Hatchers is likely to still have a bit of snow, but possibly not too much to be able to climb. I dunno about camping though, so I'd reccomend we wait for a bit for this gathering. I'll still take you climbing though Melissa, and anyone else who wants to go on a day trip or two. ;)

tarzan420

Feb 13, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #19 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Melissa, I don't know where you're planning on being in the state, but the stuff in the Fairbanks area should be pretty clear of snow by that time, I don't know about Angel Rocks or the Granite Tors, but both Upper and Lower Grapefruit should be great. There's not tons and tons of climbing, but enough to keep busy fo a couple of days.

Now, whether I'll actually be here or not remains to be seen, and whether I hace a car or not is another question. I will probably know if i'll be here over the summer by april; if i'm here this summer i'll probably be buying a car.

Partner xcel360

Feb 13, 2004, 3:18 AM
Post #20 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I should be spending a good part of June in Yosemite if all goes well, so the end of June/beginning of July would be just about perfect for me, so count me in definetly. Look foward to meeting ya'll and getting the chance to climb in Alaska.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 14, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #21 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Her's a slight view of how it was last year. :)

May 26:The road was mostly clear up until the end, which is in the pic linked. If you didn't mind getting your feet snowy, climbing was possible.
http://www.morffed.com/pics/grouphike.jpg

June 9th: Road was clear and much of the climbing as well, although I seem to remember the gate being closed. Rode my bike up, then hiked a bit and took this pic looking back.
http://www.morffed.com/climb/view.jpg

June 28th or so: Small patches of snow, easily climbable anywhere. This was during the gathering last year. Flowers starting to bloom, plants in just about full glory, etc. The June 9th pic was taken from just behind my flying foot in this photo:
http://www.morffed.com/...thering/slabdyno.jpg

July 4th: July doesn't change much. Little patches of snow are still melting, water is going down in the creeks, and all is green. No decent pics of the area then except one of a couple freaks in Reed Valley, just around the mountain from Archangel. ;)
http://www.morffed.com/...b/pulpculturetop.jpg

August 6th: Just about all the snow is gone, it gets hot and sunny sometimes, but temps are cooling off. Plants are wilting. All is still green though.
http://www.morffed.com/...b/aug/valleyview.jpg

August 25th: Wear a jacket. Temps are cooling, and rain is probable. Me and Lisa managed to get a climb in, and got everything soaked for our troubles. Still fun, but likely to be miserable. :lol:
http://www.morffed.com/climb/aug/lisa2.jpg

I'm going to propose the dates of June 24th through July 5th. Anyone got anything better? :)

Partner xcel360

Feb 16, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #22 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In an interest to keep this going, I'm gonna say I like the dates of June 24th - July 5th. Question though, is there really enough climbs or other things to do to keep us occuppied for 10 days? Also what is the weather like that time of year up there, rainwise? Think we'll get rained out at all?

<=glen=>

climbhigh2005

Feb 16, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #23 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys... We will be renting an RV... we have no destination really... we are just gonna drive all around the state... whoever is willing to meet us... we would appreciate if we could borrow some gear... since we are flying up there we cant bring our rope, quickdraws, and bouldering pad... thanks so much! have fun!

Partner coldclimb

Feb 17, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #24 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And an added note just for you Melissa: ;)

This is the Seward Highway on May 31st last year:

http://www.morffed.com/climb/5-31FBN2.jpg

Note the green grass. ;) There's plenty of climbing there if Hatchers isn't open. Also Weiner Lake. The highway is not the best climbing around, but it's certainly some good stuff. :D

micahmcguire

Feb 17, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #25 of 52 (8005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

meh, I might be on a wall or mountain in the area. catch me if you can!

ps-nice bermuda triangle pic. sweet area

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook