RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Mar 26, 2002, 10:06 PM
Post #1 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Ammon: slackline help?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, almost every time climbers gather to camp a slackline gets set up, this is a huge part of the climbing culture and an excellent method to train balance and concentration.

I've been setting up my own slacklines here and there, and have the basics such as walking, turning, walking backwards, down pretty well but would like to try something like the Chongo Gap in the future. Any advice? advanced techniques?

I know the theories behind mantling the line and getting up from a sitting position but have a hard time of it still. Any tips or tricks? Recommended fun things to learn?

Also, setting the line high scares the hell out of me, just suck it up or use crashpads or what?

elcapbuzz

Mar 26, 2002, 10:59 PM
Post #2 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Ammon: slackline help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice Fiend, I'm really glad to hear your response. I wasn't sure how my slacklining pics were going to be welcomed on a rock climbing site. You're right though, slacklining is becoming a big part of the climbing lifestyle.

Great questions. I think the most important thing about walking up high, you (fiend) already have. The desire to do it. Highlining is such a mental game that you can't trick yourself and fake your way through it.

Ok, you get the idea. You have to KNOW that you can do it before you even get out there.

If you can walk comfortably, turn, mount, etc., on a 50' line on the ground - you should be able to do as well up high. Makes since, right? Well, it's not exactly that easy most of the time (although I have seen exceptions).

The problem is FEAR. Everyone has it. I remember a few years ago, just starting out, I asked Dean when the fear goes away. His reply was "Never".

The fear adds a physical element in the equation. I'm not sure exactly what chemicals your body releases but I know your muscles tense up. They are slow to react. You become stiff and awkward.

None of this makes up a good walker. So focus on the oppisite. Relax, let yourself become "loose". Keep your wrists relaxed. Your waist, loose. Knees and ankles, slightly stiff. And the most important thing, as in hard bouldering or climbing, BREATHE.

Mounting? The best high mount in my opinion is the "Chongo Mount". It's hard to explain it in writing but......

First you've got to figure out if your "goofy" or "regular". Those of you who skate, snowboard, surf, etc, knows what I'm talking about, right?

This will be from my point of view (regular): Sit on the line with your right but cheek dominating. Put your right heel into your crotch, your foot should be "T'ing" the line. Now, your left hand should be about twelve inches in front of you holding the line palm down. Your right hand is in the air, for balance.

Think of the mount in two steps. First Rocking your body onto a bi-pod, right leg and left arm (good excersize: balance with one leg and one arm, using your other limbs as balance).

Then, with one quick motion, step your left leg up at the exact moment you let go of the line with your hand.

(remember to reverse this if you are "goofy" foot - right foot forward)

As for rigging - I try not to recomend high lines for people who don't have a few years of rigging experience, for obvious reasons.

So, this is for the experienced, only. There are a few methods of highlines. This is a simple explanation. Tension the first line as tight as you want the line to be. Back it off on to "soft points" (the only biners that are left in the sysytem, are the ones cliped to the bolts/gear).

Next, tension a second, half as tight. Hand tension a third line right underneath the existing two and tape them together with cloth tape every 18-24 inches.

Hope this has helped.

Remember: NEVER walk a highline with only one single 1" webbing, the line can/WILL break if your teather comes full force on the line.

Happy walking, Ammon

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Mar 27, 2002, 12:13 AM
Post #3 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is really cool stuff. I've never done any slacklining, but I think it really goes hand in hand with climbing.

Ammon, I would love for you to take this reponse and turn it into an article. You could even bring in a few of your photos too.

Very cool stuff!

sonofspork

Mar 27, 2002, 12:30 AM
Post #4 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon,

How do you set up a slackline that is only a few feet off of the ground? I think it would be cool to try this a few times.

-sONofSpORk

joemor

Mar 27, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #5 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what do u use for the line, webbing or rope?/

joe

fiend

Mar 27, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #6 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon, thanks a ton for the advice, I only managed to get on the line 3 times while I was down in the Red last week and it's kind of snowing right now, but once it gets nice again and I can set it up I'll have more questions for you.

It'd be great if we could manage to hook up this summer at one of the rc.com meets, I should be in SLC, and Yosemite with rrradam. I'd like to try a highline but don't have the experience/confidence to set it up just yet.

Now all I have do do is find enough webbing to set up a 50ft line for practice

joemor

Mar 27, 2002, 3:23 AM
Post #7 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah and how long do u make it?

fiend

Mar 27, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #8 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use webbing, I usually play on a 20ft line because it's easy for me to set up on two convenient trees near my house. A short line is good for learning the basics but you really want to be using a 30+ foot line in order to really get the hang of it.

fiend

Mar 27, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #9 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Taken from http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/2021/slacker.html (check out the page, neat video of the guy doing a backflip off of a slackline)

Quote:The Beta on settin’ up a line:

What I do is this:

1) I tie one end to a tree using a lot of slack (6ft). I tie an overhand knot with a bite passed through it so I can pull the bite out at the end of the session and relieve tension from the line. Then I back it up in the same fashion with the bite I just made (overhand knot with the bite then put another bite (four layers) through...)

2) I tie a girth hitch around a second tree on a seperate small loop of webbing.

3) attach a biner to the girth-hitch-bite.

4) 1/7th of the distance (about) from the girth hitch I tie an overhand bite into the slackline (6/7ths from the first step's knots)

5) attach a biner here too.

6) put the line through the girth hitch's biner and walk it back to the 1/7th biner and put it through that too.

7) yard on your two biner pulley (3 to 1) system with a coupla strong cats.

keeping tension, walk that bitch around a tree five or so times and bring it back to the 1/7th biner. Three fingerwidths past the biner I make a bite and tie an overhand knot.

9) clip this into the biner. It gets easier when you get the hang of it!

10) slack it up...

I use a slightly simpler set up which involves attaching one end to a tree, then running your webbing across to the other anchor tree, a few feet before the tree tie a bight of webbing with a water knot and clip a biner into this. continue to run the webbing around the tree, and clip it into the biner. Now run the webbing back the way it came around the tree again. Crank it tight, tie another bight with a water knot and clip this loop into the biner.

Hard to explain but easy to do, takes me about 3 minutes to set up a line. This system really only works for short lines as well, longer line has more slack and needs more of a mechanical advantage to pull it tight.

I do believe that was the worst technical explanation I have ever give/seen

elcapbuzz

Mar 27, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #10 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Niiice!!

I think I'll take you're advice Trevor. I'll start working on an article. Great Idea!!

Fiend, very cool!! Thanks for starting this thread.

Slackining, as Fiend already said, is done on a 1" tubular webbing (I've seen it done on flat webbing). Rope walking is done on rope, usually 1-4 inches. The weave of the rope is very rough on your feet, so most people walk 'a rope' in shoes.

A few years ago Dean brought a 40' chain into the Valley. It took 2 guys to carry it. The chain was awkward, heavy and hard to manipulate. It was very challenging but was the exact oppisite of: what I love about walking a slackline.

Most line walkers are bare foot. Look about 10-20 feet in front of you, as you walk (depending on the length of the line). Don't look at your feet. When making a step, feel the line with your big toe and then put your heel down.

Fiend has it right, the way he sets his shorter lines up. I use a clove-hitch because it's the easiest knot to untie and creates less imapact, from repeat use.

Long lines on the ground are a bit harder to describe. It looks as though everyone will have to wait for the article to come out.

I'll try to go into detail about rigging, walking, exersizes, what has been done, etc., in the article.

Oh, and the guy who does a backflip off the line is "Catching Noah". He's badass. The story behind his nickname is long but was featured in one of the magz a few years back. Maybe some of you remember it??

Cheers to ya, Ammon

addiroids

Mar 27, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #11 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RE: Catching Noah

Doesn't PINSCAR have a link to his website about Noah.

Apparently, Noah was leading (free not aid) Pancake Flake?? on The Nose and he fell, and the line cut. He fell right on the belay ledge, and one of his partners just nonchalantly clipped him in, and tied in ready to relead the pitch. Meanwhile, Noah is sitting there sobbing for all he is worth (which I'm sure most of us would do!) and is just in a heap of tears.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

beyond_gravity

Mar 27, 2002, 11:59 PM
Post #12 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just tryed rigging one, I cant even stand on it for more then 3 seconds! you people are crazy!! it is pretty addicting though, but i did get nailed in the grional region once...and now I have a pice of webbing thats locked up around a tree
Is this normal? or am i doing somting wrong??

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 28, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #13 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's normal BG... The line starts to move. Relax.

I remember the Story...

While just starting a pitch, "Falling Noah" fell back down to the edge of the belay ledge, and was pinwheeling his arms trying to regain his balance when "Catching Noah" grabbed him and pulled him back onto the ledge. At that time they noticed that the line had been cut.

rrrADAM

beyond_gravity

Mar 28, 2002, 12:17 AM
Post #14 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont get it?

fiend

Mar 28, 2002, 3:26 AM
Post #15 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the tricks I've found for beginners on the slackline:

1. Figure out your strong leg, which ever leg you feel most comfortable standing and balancing on. We'll assume left leg, cause that's mine
2. Place your left leg on the line and use your left hand to hold the line up. Don't put any of your weight on your left leg at this point. This keeps your leg from shaking right off the bat.
3. Now, all in one motion, release the line and put all your weight on your left leg, standing up completely. The trick is to go fast! The slower you go, the more you'll shake.
4. Once you're up, get your balance and don't try to walk until you can calmly place your right foot in front of you to transfer your weight.

This method may be a little more frustrating at first, you don't get that instant gratification of running along the line after letting go of the tree, but you will be much more stable and be able to easily regain your balance.

fiend

Apr 2, 2002, 4:17 AM
Post #16 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking at the primitive system on the pdf from the Slackline Brothers site and they recommend finishing it with a couple of half hitches... how solid is this? I imagine it's fairly safe and secure but seems a little sketch to me considering the force a line has on it. I guess it depends on how much use the line is getting, ie: a line that's taken down each time VS a semi-permanant campground line.

Thoughts?

elcapbuzz

Apr 2, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #17 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fiend, I tried to find the link where you read this, at slackline.com. I'm not sure what you mean by "finishing it".

Is it the "How-to", by Ric Pheigh?

I think what he was talking about was a back-up for a line set above the ground.

MMmmmm, I'll look again.

Ammon

fiend

Apr 2, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #18 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was on the "How to Set Up a Slackline" by Ric Phiegh PDF.
Page 6. The paragraph underneath Pictures E and F.

elcapbuzz

Apr 2, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #19 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I found it.

I think the most important note is that this is a slackline a few feet above the ground. You would never use that rig, up high.

The system works, the two carabiners pinch against the webbing, creating friction. If it were to fail (due to human error), it would gradually release. I don't think it would drop you suddenly.

I've used this system but don't practice it often. Ric's instructions are good to get you started. After that, I think everyone starts to develop their own methods.

Walk safely, Ammon

phatires

Dec 28, 2002, 10:58 PM
Post #20 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool thread,

As I was closeing the deal oin my new my buddies were busy gutting my garage to accomidate the bouldering cave (another thread on home gyms?) It wasn't long b4 webbing was being strung between the big oaks out back.

Now 90 year old oaks are about as bomber as it gets. The problem was that the line sortta cut the back yard in half.

SO we looked else were, NEVER use clothes line posts! Well I guess you can try if you like but we sortta up rooted one when we brought out the "come a long" to really tighten it up. We figured this was a good idea at the time.

Boy, good thing my wife already left or she would have been REALLY PISSED! hehehehehe

CYA at J-tree 4 New Years

Matt

greengecko

Dec 30, 2002, 5:09 AM
Post #21 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All these directions are so confusing, why cant i jsut tie one end around a tree and the other anroun another tree and leave some slak and walk on it?

elcapbuzz

Dec 30, 2002, 8:16 AM
Post #22 of 22 (11395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can. Actually that was the original way of doing it. The problem is: It only works on really short lines, like 10-15 feet.

If you want to walk a longer line you must make the line tight.

Also, if you learn how to walk on a line that isn't tight.... you will have to relearn your reactions towards the line.

The two ways react totally different.

BTW - I kinda dropped the ball on writing a how-to about slacklining.... but I will start working on it again. With photos included.

Cheers, Ammon

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook