RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

gil_goldm

Feb 19, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

can taping cause some damege ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter .

juanjo

Feb 19, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Re: can taping cause some damege ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Theres a chance of injury if you use the tape very tight due to lack of blood in your fingers

Partner hosh

Feb 19, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that if you're already injured and you're climbing taped when you should be resting, it might result in a few problems... My finger was jacked up for a while and it's finally getting better. I tried to climb with it taped and it really hurt. Maybe I taped it wrong, but I figured better to rest and let it heal than to climb and blow it out worse.

bucephalus

Feb 19, 2004, 8:44 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that if you're already injured and you're climbing taped when you should be resting, it might result in a few problems... My finger was jacked up for a while and it's finally getting better. I tried to climb with it taped and it really hurt. Maybe I taped it wrong, but I figured better to rest and let it heal than to climb and blow it out worse.

You hit the nail on the head there hosh, if you're taping up so that you can climb with an injury, you're definitely doing nothing to help improve the injury, in fact, chances are that you're doing damage.

If you have an injury, rest it out, until it's completely healed, then tape it up for a month or two to let it recover.

Now if only I could follow my own advice..

nicebooty

Feb 24, 2004, 6:17 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i fractured my toe on mt washington and a month later, taped up bouldering ti still hurt. SO i rested, and when i thought it was good i went for a climb, and it hurt so bad when i cracked it in a crack that it caused me to fall and my foot was partially stuck, and screwd me for about 2 months. REST YOUR INJURIES

Partner drrock

Feb 25, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer your question, taping itself should not cause injury in and of itself unless as previously mentioned it is so tight it cuts off blood flow. Or if you are allergic to the tape!

Tape can (at least psychologically) prevent reinjury. I use it all the time on one finger that previously injured. But I can climb painlessly without the tape, which is an important distinction. Don't use it as a crutch to climb painlessly when the injury is not healed yet.

In a relatively famous medical study, they took a bunch of cadaver fingers, and taped them to see if it prevented pulley injuries, the most common finger injury. There was no difference in the failure rate of the taped pulleys with weighting compared to the non-taped pulley failure rate. So they showed on dead people that preventative taping did not work. But some people still do it, and no evidence exists whether it works in live people or not.

So there is no right answer, but probably won't hurt you. Some might argue that taping "prevents the tendons for strengthening since it takes some of the tension off them", but based on above mentioned study, it really doesn't.

overlord

Feb 25, 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you dont wrap too tightly it shouldnt be a problem.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook