RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

toddclimba

Feb 21, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1272 views)
Shortcut

shoulder injuries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have you ever dislocated you shoulder climbing on not? how bad was it? how long was it before you were back climbing again?

what recovery method was used e.g. rest ice compresion elevation, time, opperation, ?

the_antoon

Feb 22, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: shoulder injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK...first off, if it happens again, GO TO A DOCTOR (repeatadly dislocating your shoulder can cause your tendons and ligaments in the area to stretch making it happen more and more often and will also make your shoulder weaker)

Now, it's gonna be sore. You want to try to speed up the healing process, and therefor you want to increase the blood supply to the region. My guess is that you want wet heat (hot water bottles, hot tubs, steam rooms).

To try to prevent it from happening again you want to strengthen the small stabilizor muscles surrounding the rotator cuff. Try doing three basic exercises that will really help.

First, hold the upper portion of your arm flat against your side with your elbow pointing at the ground. Next hold the lower portion of your arm up at 90 degrees with the uppoer portion. Now with a light resistance band, slowly pull the band out ward 90 degrees and then back to the orginal location pointing out ahead of your body.

Second, the same thing, except this time you are going to be rotating your arm inward untill it touches your body. (you will be able to do more weight with this one but don't over do it, always go for reps, not weight)

Third, hold the upper portion of your arm straight out to your side with the lower portion of your arm pointing straight up. It should be two 90 degree angles. Now, with the band pulling your arm down and forward, slowly let only the lower portion of your arm down until it is parallel with the floor. Then rotate it back up to the starting position.

With all these exercises, make sure you NEVER use large amounts of weight. These are small indurance muscles and if you try to go for weight you increase the risk of injury, or reinjury. Since they are indurance muscles, try to do these every night. The more religious you are about this, the faster you will get better and the harder it will be to reinjur yourself.

ALWAYS go for reps and make it burn, regardless of the weight. If at any time you feel any kind of "bad" pain, stop and lower the weight, if it continues, don't do that exercise at all for a few days.

bye the way, i'm a trainer, not a doctor (for now anyway),
Antoon

the_antoon

Feb 22, 2004, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: shoulder injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One other thing, if it's sore, motrin (ibprofin) works great on injuries like this.

I had a rotator cuff injury that i got through on my own by doing those exercises. (I couldn't move my arm above my shoulder or it would just give out and fall to my side from the pain)

That's why I mention the motrin, it is an anti-inflamitory, so it will help with the soreness and speed up the healing time too.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook