RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

crow

Feb 28, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Makin a Comeback
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I shattered my tallus (bone in your foot) in Nov. and will be getting my cast off in a couple days. I really won't be able to climb till mid-May (maybe) and was wondering if anyone had any great info on a good method of starting back?

warloc

Feb 28, 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Re: Makin a Comeback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mmm My case may be different, because the reason of my long-time pause was a bad-finger.
The word is patience. You will probably suffer on routes you could do easily before. But you have to go on slowly though, as your body also cannot train as hard.
Anyway don't worry, with a little patience the first month, you'll improve quite fast.

Partner justin

Feb 28, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke mine too; right foot. It was a few years before I got into climbing but I'd say climbing actually helped. My foot reset with the arch a bit lower and as I pronate it has been a hindrance at times. How'd you break it? I've never met anyone else with the same injury. Tough bone to break, apparently.

josephine

Feb 29, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

josephine moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephine moved this thread from General to Injuries & Accidents.

Partner holdplease2

Feb 29, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I take time off, the thing that always gets me when I start back is forearm pump. Very frustrating.

Perhaps, in the weeks before you actually get on rock, spend some time on a hangboard or something similar to reduce the frustration that forearm pump brings

Also, maybe work on your flexibility in your hips through stretching and core strength by doing leg raises or situps/crunches, and lower back strengthening exercises. This flexibility and core strength will help you get your "technique" back faster, I think.

Good luck!

-Kate.

jkelley

Feb 29, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SLOWLY!
My experience with back surgery, and my friends experience with breaking a bone in his ankle tells me the worst thing a person can do is start back too hard too soon. I will spare you the whining and just say I would be better off if I would have taken it easy for a few months more early in recovery.
Jon

roughster

Feb 29, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I shattered my tallus (bone in your foot) in Nov. and will be getting my cast off in a couple days. I really won't be able to climb till mid-May (maybe) and was wondering if anyone had any great info on a good method of starting back?

PM shoestring. I know he just finished a successfull rehab of a similar injury.

Aaron

pawilkes

Feb 29, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got word from my doc on friday that i could start weighting my foot again so i went the gym on saturday morning and climbed a little. honestly it wasn't nearly as bad as i had expected b/c you rarely even put 50% of your weight on your foot. the approach is worse than the climbing. good luck

nagatana

Feb 29, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Focus on regaining your endurance; even if it means climbing 5.5s.

crow

Feb 29, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I decked out on this climb where the first bolt (hadn't clipped in yet) was about 15 ft up and landed straight on my feet. I guess my left one took the brunt of the landing.

fredo

Mar 1, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spilt my talus in half in August. I did not require any surgery and was fortunate not to be in a cast, but a big boot/brace thingy. I was in rehab almost right away working on flexability and range of motion. The thing I found that was the most difficult was leg strength. Are you going to be doing a prescribed PT regiment or are you doing it yourself? Your PTist should know what to do, just mention that you are looking to regain climbing strength as your overall leg/hip/knee strength comes back. The big concern will be balance, not blowing your ACL when you walk/workout or tearing your achelies(sp?)

It took me about 4 monthes start to finish (day of break to full leg strength) and I have been climbing un-encumbered since Xmas. Patience dude, do not injure yourself further just to shave a week or two of recovery, remember how you heal now will effect how well the ankle works when your 60. PM me if you have any other questions.

fredo

Mar 1, 2004, 2:04 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, forgot to add this to my last post. In my experience arm and finger strength come back relatively quickly. While you are doing PT for the leg you can do a variety of forearm and wrist/figer excercises to aid you so your pump will be slower once you are actually climbing again. An older issue of R&I has a great workout for shoulder/arm/finger/core strength. I will check the issue # when I get home from work and post it if your interested. Also Cardio baby..ride the bike/row/elliptical, or better once you are walking pain free take a hike

rock on!!

fred :)

dirtineye

Mar 1, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I brone ly leg twice in high sahool soccer, adn the worst thing besides muscle atrophy was the lack of flexability. Go easy and do a lot of gentle stretching along with whatever else you do to build back up.

fredo

Mar 2, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An older issue of R&I has a great workout for shoulder/arm/finger/core strength. I will check the issue # when I get home from work and post it if your interested. Also Cardio baby..ride the bike/row/elliptical, or better once you are walking pain free take a hike

rock on!!

fred :)

Rock and Ice #113 with Tommy Caldwell on the front cover

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook