RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

bluesloth

Mar 3, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Bolt Depth?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am making a hangboard type system for my appartment that I will attach bolted holds to. I was hoping someone could tell me how far the bolts from the holds usually stick out through the other side of the plywood (the back side).

I am using 3/4" plywood and need to know how far from the wall the plywood will need to be mounted so the bolts don't end up hitting the wall before the hold is tight.

Thanks!

Partner j_ung

Mar 3, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bolt Depth? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bluesloth, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have to stick out at all. As long as they're at least 1/4-1/3 of the way into the t-nut (arbitrary guess) you'll be fine. I've had bolts barely make it into the threads before, and they all held just fine with no damage to the wall or t-nut.

chizelz

Mar 3, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"how far do the bolts usually stick out" that really depends on a couple of variables..... how long your bolts are, and how thick the seat depth of your hold is... I agree with J_ung they don't "have to stick out the back at all, most of the forces are on the shear of the bolt, although I would recommend that they do go the full depth of the t-nut or as close as you can get it.... but I am paranoid. you can cut your bolts to suit your holds, then grind or sand off any burrs to be sure it will thread into the t-nut. Each of your holds would then have a specific bolt or two that would go with them.

mungeclimber

Mar 3, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rarely have bolts gone past 2" on the backside of a friend's climbing wall with 3/4" plywood. Save ya the trouble of grinding down specialized bolts. Slap a couple of 2/4 pieces to the back and that will be your spacer. Plenty of room.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook