RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Mar 27, 2004, 5:56 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Well THAT was a Fun Day!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Started off with Dave and I hitting up the new crag. 2 mile hike in. Decided to rap in from the top to some anchor placements about 30Ms off the deck. Problem is the cliff is BIG, as in 150+ meters big. Scary single line rap with some traversing to get to the placement of the anchors. Off to the side I just clipped in my daisy when my foot blew and I went for a huge swing but fortunately was stoppped short by my daisy. Would have been ugly!

Rapped down, trammed up, cleaning, checking holds, marking bolt placements. Get to the base and the skies opened up = pouring rain! Tram back up and zap in bolts. We pack up and hike out in a down pour. On the way out, I was clipping poison oak, and by the time we got home I discovered I have a patch of oak on my right ring finger.

Dave decides to hang out for dinner and Brenda (my wife) serves up a mean Shiska-Bob, Mahi Mahi, and Shrimp dinner. We drink Fat Tire and enjoy the feast. After dinner my tongue starts feeling scratchy, my stomach is burning, and my saliva thick. I am having an allergic reaction.

I tell Bren to get the kids ready "just in case" as Dave is heading out. Within 5 minutes my throat is almost shut and my stomach is on fire. My breaths are shallow and I can't swallow water. I feel like I am going to throw up. Bren runs the kids over to a neighbors house and off we got to the emergency room.

I get there and am light headed, can barely talk, and my lips are numb and blue. They rush my straight in and BAM a shot of epinephrine to the left shoulder and one straight to the stomach (ouch). Next up and IV drip with all kinds of other crap. The epi causes my heart to start thumping something crazy and my whole body is pulsing to the rhythm. He slaps me on the heart monitor and has another doc come see me. (Hey guy come check out this freak!)

30 mins later, my Blood Oxygen is finally up over 75%. The doctor looked at me and says, "Well that was close". Full anaphylactic shock. He said if I would've waited longer most likely I would have passed out on the way there. I guess my wife driving 75+ mph down 25 mph speed limit streets to get me there in time was a good idea after all :lol:

Another hour of observation and finally release me with a hand full of meds and an emergency epi shot kit. Doctor says next time (if there is a next time) it will be even worse and to self administer the epi shot before heading immediately to the ER.

Fun fun day! So how was yours? :lol:

grabngrip

Mar 27, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Re: Well THAT was a Fun Day! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like you always have a good story to tell people. sorry that happend though. hope you feel better

moabbeth

Mar 27, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy crap man....good to hear you're still among us. Did they determine what caused the allergic reaction?

nitrogirl

Mar 27, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gees, now I feel like my day was just peachy peachy sunshine. I'll sleep better now. Hope youre feeling better! Take care

oudinardin

Mar 27, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that man. Bee's, wasps, etc send me into shock. Once in N.C. I was walking down to a swimming hole and stopped to talk to my gf. My left foot was standing on the nest. Friggin everywhere. Stings all over my body. Now I carry a kit all the time. Or at least I have an idea as to where it is. Did you know that it's best to shoot it in your ass cheek? Due to freaking out and sometimes being way in the backcountry it's best to make sure it's done correctly. You only get one shot. Are they still about $50? Hope you feel better. Oud

roughster

Mar 27, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Holy crap man....good to hear you're still among us. Did they determine what caused the allergic reaction?

Thanks for the well-wishing guys! I know it was the shrimp. As soon as I ate them my tongue started feeling scratchy. Looks like no more shell fish for me! Thats ok though, as I rarely eat them and am not over-fond of them anyways!

addiroids

Mar 27, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See, I TOLD you that sports climbing was dangerous! Glad to hear you are okay. Does this count as training for the CAman?

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

roughster

Mar 27, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
See, I TOLD you that sports climbing was dangerous! Glad to hear you are okay. Does this count as training for the CAman?

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Well the epi certainly got my heart into a freaking high heart rate zone :lol: I have never felt my heart beat so fast. It was kind of scary actually. Literally my muscles would almost involuntarily contract per heart beat. A very strange feeling.

dlintz

Mar 27, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well the epi certainly got my heart into a freaking high heart rate zone I have never felt my heart beat so fast. It was kind of scary actually. Literally my muscles would almost involuntarily contract per heart beat. A very strange feeling.
I know that feeling all to well. As a kid I'd get asthma attacks so severe I'd end up in the ER. Those epi shots definitely helped but the "buzz" was freakish.

Glad to hear you're alright.

roughster

Mar 27, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know that feeling all to well. As a kid I'd get asthma attacks so severe I'd end up in the ER. Those epi shots definitely helped but the "buzz" was freakish.

Glad to hear you're alright.

Thanks :) The buzz was indead freakish. My wife said I looked like some tweaker on a bad trip I was twitching around so much.

socalclimber

Mar 27, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aron,

You might want to get one extra epi pen. If you are far enough out in the wilds and you need to use it, the one shot may not last long enough to get you to the hospital. You could require another shot. Just something to consider.

Glad your ok!
Robert

caughtinside

Mar 29, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yowza. I can't believe I missed all the fun. And here I thought you were just being a sissy about the shrimp! :lol:

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook