Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vijovar

Mar 28, 2004, 7:18 AM
Post #1 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

long term effects of climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i knwo that this is not exactly a nice thing to post here but then its a fact and all of us might as weel be aware of it rather than ignorant.....
i would like to know what problems are associated with long term climbing./...,,,i have a friend of mine who is 36 and he has arthritis on his nuckles cause of climbing too hard.... he says that he tried to push himself too hard.... i would like to know if there are more problems like this...and if there are any ways to better prevnt them.....if anyone know a website please let me know...
thanks a lot for the answers...

wandering_dusk

Mar 28, 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #2 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Re: long term effects of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects...

:wink: Just kidding man... I had to do it...

dc

Mar 28, 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #3 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects

actually this is probably all true... but it's definately worth it! :wink: :P

Partner drrock

Mar 28, 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #4 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit

jackscoldsweat

Mar 28, 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #5 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hammer toe

JCS

jackscoldsweat

Mar 28, 2004, 11:46 AM
Post #6 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no, not camel toe.....hammer toe.

micronut

Mar 28, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #7 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects.....

That about sums it up, and constantly dating 21 year olds because they are the only ones that go for your "sporting life" mack.

oudinardin

Mar 28, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects.....

That about sums it up, and constantly dating 21 year olds because they are the only ones that go for your "sporting life" mack.

Yup. You hit the mark on that one. All of the above except the long hair part. My girlfriend is 22 and I'm 31. Being single and ending relationships for climbing would be up there as well. I have been single for the past 5 years. Not so bad when you find someone though. She's young. A great climber and understands why I have to go on another "trip". We'll see how my work in Moab will screw everything up for us. Gone for weeks and months. Screw it. Oud

corpse

Mar 28, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #9 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There was a medical article comparing long term pot smokers to non pot smokers within the last couple years in terms of IQ, problem solving skills, etc. and pot smokers did worse overall. So I would say that climbing lowers your IQ. :lol:

What, not all climbers smoke pot?

Not sure if I believe it - but I ready about a study once that pot doesn't kill brain sells. It actually coats those active cells in protein or something, which *temporarily* renders them inactive - kinda like preserving them. So perhaps, after 40 years of pot smoking, you stop, the protein breaks down (which they claim it does) then all of a sudden you are a real bright senior citizen :-P or maybe not :roll:

oudinardin

Mar 28, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #10 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There was a medical article comparing long term pot smokers to non pot smokers within the last couple years in terms of IQ, problem solving skills, etc. and pot smokers did worse overall. So I would say that climbing lowers your IQ. :lol:

What, not all climbers smoke pot?

Not sure if I believe it - but I ready about a study once that pot doesn't kill brain sells. It actually coats those active cells in protein or something, which *temporarily* renders them inactive - kinda like preserving them. So perhaps, after 40 years of pot smoking, you stop, the protein breaks down (which they claim it does) then all of a sudden you are a real bright senior citizen :-P or maybe not :roll:

Thanks for the reminder. Loading one up now. I forgot on the way to work. Wait... Yeah, I'm at work. Must be, I'm on rc.com.

fire-master
Deleted

Mar 28, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #11 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the wear on my body I've begun to notice after only about 10 months of serious climbing. A commited climber must take care of himslef if he wishes to continue for a long time.

My ankles have shown a bit of wear (e.g. they crack sometimes when i rotate them and they didn't always--[i]striving for good footwork will do this) so I make it a point to never jump down after a boulder or anything like that--especially w/o a big ol' mat beneath me! Ane of course I noticed the arthritis in the hands a bit too. So I take a Glucoseamine suplement daily now (helps regrow cartililage, protect bones, fix arthritis, and make my hair look totally super sweet--like ninja.)

The shape of my feet has changed a bit too--but I think that's just kinda cool. My toes now sit more like they're in climbing shoes all the time. But that, of course is something others have noticed and isn't a problem.

trillium

Mar 28, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects...

I have to agree with all of the above. I think though, the most difficult part as I get older (I turned 50 this past December) is getting up in the morning and walking down the stairs. Every morning it seems to get a little harder to walk down.

asandh

Mar 28, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #13 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

oudinardin

Mar 28, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #14 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
years of small injuries take their toll. the arthritis spreads from your fingers to your elbows, shoulders, knees, everywhere. The bones spurs occasionlly lock your joints up in pain. but the secret wepon against these things is NEVER stop climbing. as long as you do this you will sort of be ok.
motion is the magic potion.

Very true. Very true. Oud

matchscratch

Mar 28, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #15 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most common long term effect is still that you will get stronger and stronger an stronger. Especially your fingers, arms, and back. A strong muscular system will also prevent some injuries. I don't think that climbing has anymore negative long term effects than any other sport. It's just a way of training yourself in order to get more resistant and to achieve a better and stronger body.

Just keep climbing but only do it as far as your body can hold it......

rokklym

Mar 28, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #16 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I guess we can take a look at alot of the older climbers. Most don't seem to be in too bad of shape, actually alot are in far better shape than others their age. I think if your prone to degenerative injuries then you going to end up with them wether or not your a climber.
We can also keep an eye on John Sherman, I mean theres a guy thats seriously hurt about every part of the body that can be hurt, and he climbs way more than most of us. So if anyone, he should be crippled up at a realtively young age.
As far as the emotional parts, alot of the posts seem to be right. Climbing is great, but it has a way of making it hard to deal with non-climbers including you family, friends and other loved ones. Most people don't understand our mentality and why we would constantly push ourselves so hard. Plus, being gone so much on weekends, holidays, and on trips makes you miss out on alot of whats going on back home.
All in all, I think its still worth it.

oudinardin

Mar 28, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #17 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I guess we can take a look at alot of the older climbers. Most don't seem to be in too bad of shape, actually alot are in far better shape than others their age. I think if your prone to degenerative injuries then you going to end up with them wether or not your a climber.
We can also keep an eye on John Sherman, I mean theres a guy thats seriously hurt about every part of the body that can be hurt, and he climbs way more than most of us. So if anyone, he should be crippled up at a realtively young age.
As far as the emotional parts, alot of the posts seem to be right. Climbing is great, but it has a way of making it hard to deal with non-climbers including you family, friends and other loved ones. Most people don't understand our mentality and why we would constantly push ourselves so hard. Plus, being gone so much on weekends, holidays, and on trips makes you miss out on alot of whats going on back home.
All in all, I think its still worth it.

Jack Tackle would be another good example. He's doing well if anyone knows him. Also Alex Lowe climbed close to 5 years with only his closest friends/co-workers knowing of his ACL problem. Maybe they hide it well or are really mutants. I think it's more about drive. The mind is your best piece of gear. Pain? What pain? Oud.

rokklym

Mar 28, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #18 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Jack Tackle would be another good example. He's doing well if anyone knows him. Also Alex Lowe climbed close to 5 years with only his closest friends/co-workers knowing of his ACL problem. Maybe they hide it well or are really mutants. I think it's more about drive. The mind is your best piece of gear. Pain? What pain? Oud.

There is no doubt that Alex Lowe was a mutant! That guy did stuff that humans shouldn't be capable of, But thats another thread on its own.

oudinardin

Mar 28, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #19 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no doubt that Alex Lowe was a mutant! That guy did stuff that humans shouldn't be capable of, But thats another thread on its own.
No hi-jack here. Just wanted to mention Tackle because of his many health problems etc. As for Lowe, you are correct. Just first-hand examples of the points you made. That's all. Oud.

dredsovrn

Mar 28, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #20 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i knwo that this is not exactly a nice thing to post here but then its a fact and all of us might as weel be aware of it rather than ignorant.....
i would like to know what problems are associated with long term climbing./...,,,i have a friend of mine who is 36 and he has arthritis on his nuckles cause of climbing too hard.... he says that he tried to push himself too hard.... i would like to know if there are more problems like this...and if there are any ways to better prevnt them.....if anyone know a website please let me know...
thanks a lot for the answers...

Sounds like your friend is a big pussy. Long term, climbing can cause loss of money, smelly shoes, and excessive gear envy. Thats the downside. The real effects are more a positive outlook on life, rejection of narrow thought, and a more fulfilled life.

If you are that worried about it, take up knitting. But be careful you and your candy a## friend don't poke your hands with the big needles.

asandh

Mar 28, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #21 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:(

indigo_nite

Mar 28, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #22 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tendinitis (shoulder-gym overtraining, elbow-?gym overtraining and workstation ergonomics, fingers-sport climber friends have experienced from indoor/outdoor training); which I know no authoritative prevention for (a physical therapist or maybe personal trainer would have more specific tips)

d.ben
Deleted

Mar 28, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #23 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred Becky - most people his age are playing bridge in the nursing home, he's still at it.

Everything you do in life is deteriorating your body. Better off climbing than working construction for 20 years, or playing hockey or some other sports. Just take care of yourself.

climbingnurse

Mar 28, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #24 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fred Becky - most people his age are playing bridge in the nursing home, he's still at it.

Go check this out!

And to answer the question, all things in moderation. If you pull on crimpers all day long every day for 10 years, you're bound to have problems.

But consider the alternatives. I'm currently doing a clinical rotation on a nephrology unit. All of my patients have been sitting on a couch all day every day for 10 years or more. They've all got end-stage renal disease and diabetes. Half of them are missing limbs and the other half are missing parts of their brains from massive strokes.

Sports-related injuries are WAY better than couch related injuries. And besides, at least you'll have stories to tell.

I'll take arthritis please...

pawilkes

Mar 28, 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #25 of 49 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at 21, and after about 5 years of climbing, both my ankles are messed up from jamming them on seperate falls and my right knee will probably never be the same after breaking my tibia at the knee. my upper back is in constant pain because of the knots. but i am pretty happy with life. i mean it could be worse. climbing will take its toll on you but i think, unless you have a big injury like my leg, it is less than that of other sports.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook