RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ikillspammerz

Mar 31, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

ankle support for climbing shoes / bare feet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for high quality ankle support that will work without shoes, and/or fit in climbing shoes. I had surgery to repair my Medial malleous almost five months ago and still have stablilization problems as I discovered on monday going into my first balancing yoga asana. I practice on a daily basis and try to climb a couple of times a week. (hopefully more soon). I strained a stabilizing muscle that runs parallel and almost behind the Achilis on the medial side.
I called Aircast customer support and as I suspected all of their designs are to be used with shoes. I'm looking for more support than a wrap or stretch support. Lace up looks like it does fair, but I am still looking for more than that. I want something that works barefoot and in climbing shoes. It's gettng to the point where I want to make my own but it seems like a real pain in the a$$ and I doubt it would be comfortable
-Jeff

sspssp

Mar 31, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Re: ankle support for climbing shoes / bare feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a bum ankle. I use an ASO foot brace. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it has a pretty low profile and good support. It will fit inside of my normal shoes. But climbing shoes are sized so tight, I have to buy mismatched sizes (yea, it's expensive).

You could wear it without a shoe, but I think it would tend to wear out.

Do an internet search to find it.

I've looked at a couple of different models. I like the original "ASO" brand the best.

lizardchick

Apr 1, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #3 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played volleyball before I got into climbing, and have probably seen hundreds of ankle injuries between that and my work as a student athletic trainer. If you are looking for a low profile brace that can be worn with climbing shoes or barefoot, I'd recommend the Bauerfeind Malleoloc Brace. It was originally developed for use by beach volleyball players (who play without shoes, but still need the support of a brace).

The side pieces of the brace run anterior (in front of) to the lateral (outside) malleous, and posterior to the medial malleous. Beware that it can be pricey--buying one direct from Bauerfeind will cost you, but if you don't mind buying from a girly dealer, like from volleyball catalogs, you can save a few bucks.

I'm sure that this brace would offer more support to your un-specified stabilizing ligament than a simple lace-up brace (ASO) would, as well. I have several friends who will only use this brace to play in, so I can vouch for it's quality. They liked that it didn't wear out the sides of their shoes, or stretch them excessively like other brands tend to do. (IE-Active Ankle braces)

Bauerfeind also makes several other kinds of braces (not just hard-shell) so that might be worth looking in to. And out of sheer curiosity, have you considered just taping your ankle? Though, that may be something you might want to save for later, after your ankle heals and strengthens back up.

http://www.anklebrace.info/bauerfeind/malleoloc_ankle_brace.htm

http://www.sweetandpowerful.com/productdetail.php?idProductIDBase=BF-AO&idGroupCodeID=MM

ikillspammerz

Apr 1, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the replies
I ran across the Malleoloc a few hours ago and am glad to see a recommendation for it. I found a good price and may order one or a few to eBay tomorrow. If I can find a couple of people that would like one I can save on shipping, anyone, anyone ;) ?
I am a little concerned about it being thermally mouldable. My malleolus isn't anywhere near normal looking, it's sort of like half a baseball replacing the little protrusion. Do you think it can be refitted a couple of times if reheated?
I'll have one here soon, but will be on the rocks tomorrow if all goes well. Cross your fingers for me and hope my insurance goes through at midnight.

jakedatc

Apr 1, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #5 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wohoo.. another trainer :)

i second that suggestion.. we used to call it the fisher price brace but they changed the color's to all blue instead of the blue/yellow and screwed us all up! :)

lizard do the Figure8 Active ankle's stretch that much? i had thought they were pretty good but haven't heard anything.. so good to know

i say call the company about molding it more then once.. it may weaken the plastic too much.. maybe not.. but make sure before you buy one

Jake

lizardchick

Apr 4, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(Yay for trainers! :) )

I second calling the company about heating it up and fitting it.

Jake--I managed to stretch a figure 8 during a one day tournament to the point where it offered no support at all. BTW--we called them fisher price braces too. :D

harrisha

Apr 4, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Might I suggest regular old athletictape and foam gauze under it. During cross country season several of the runners on my team got shin splints real bad. Anyways if you wrap the whole shin in that foam gauze and then wrap it tight with tape it supports the muscle in your shin and eases the pain by more or less immobilizing it. I think a similar approach could be used on you ankle by doing the figure-eight thing under the bottom of your hear/end of your arch and up around your ankle If you need even more support you could also simply wrap your ankle a few times after doing this. Give it a shot its a different effect than an ace bandage.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook