RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

fireyxplosion

Apr 6, 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

The new bouldering guide for RRG Kentucky
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently bought a bouldering guide to Red River Gorge in Kentucky. I have never seen it before even tho it said it was published in 2000. I was suprised to see it sitting there in the shell station. has any one else seen this guide? what do you think of it?

captianstatic

Apr 6, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: The new bouldering guide for RRG Kentucky [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This guide is a piece of shit! The maps are inaccurate and most of the problems are choss piles. The only good bouldering areas are Skybridge Ridge, and the Junkyard. Friction slab has two cool problems, one is V8, mega tough and out of my reach. Sorry you, just like I, have wasted 13 dollars. Also there is a really slammin problem at Pistol Ridge (Dreams) that isn't listed on the guide and is probably the best problem in the red. Be sure to check out the Pearl and Detox while at Skybridge, they are also really quality problems (although the pearl is definately a V6 not V5).

el_trevor

Apr 6, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do not waste your time bouldering at the red ,with all of the 3 star routes and just freaking awesome climbing trust me dont waste your time

captianstatic

Apr 6, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are quality boulder problems in the red. The problem is there isn't a real concentration of good problems (again Skybridge is definately the best area).

fireyxplosion

Apr 6, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with you both.
bouldering is a great time, buti like my routes more anyhow. i dont know how i got the title "boulderer" under my name, hahahah ill try to fix that. the maps are near impossible, i went to trenchtown and had no idea wich problem was wich. $#ittyest map ive ever read. i will check out the problem at pistol ridge, and will have to hit up skybridge.

Anyone else have any input?

hippie_dreams

Apr 6, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't seen the guide, but heard it sucks. There was an online guide to emerald city that I found and made into a PDF: http://www.utoledo.edu/...Bouldering_Guide.pdf
but I haven't actually been there myself -if I go to the Red, sport climbing is the wayI usually go (hopefully trad pretty soon too :) )
Anyhow, I've been bouldering at the Coffee Shop a few times when we were lazy and there's a couple good problems there from like V0 to V5 or 6. There's also a problem on the back side of a boulder on the right hand side of the road before Roadside (if you're heading from Miguel's) -- I guess it's like V8 or 9.

I realize people are always saying that the Red is for sport climbing and you're an idiot to want to boulder there, but if you want to boulder, more power to you! I hope you find some killer boulders so that the Red is like the ultimate all around climbing area.

P.S. If you check out Emerald City, let me know how it is... I hear it's chossy as hell.

captianstatic

Apr 7, 2004, 1:06 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Emerald city last weekend looking for the bouldering. I only looked for about thirty minutes but found nothing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook