RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

mountainrat

Apr 13, 2002, 2:19 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1563 views)
Shortcut

I kneed some advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Somehow I turned my right knee on a route last night- now it hurts like hell on the inside, toward the bottom, like on the bone there- anybody know what that is, ever had it, or have any suggestions? I hope a tight brace will be sufficient for a couple of climbs- that neoprene type thing.

theamish

Apr 13, 2002, 2:27 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1564 views)
Shortcut

I kneed some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be an alarmist, but have it checked. I had the same pain and let it go for some time. As it turned out I had torn the interior miniscus, which is a "C" shaped cushion that allows the upper and lower bones of your leg to ride together. By waiting, I increased the damage and by the time they did the surgery quite a bit had to be removed due to prolonged tearing.

goopermc

Apr 13, 2002, 4:33 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountainrat: do you think that you hurt it more from the twisting or the impact?

Did you hear a popping sound?

If the answers to the above questions are twisting, no, I would just use RICE to see if it got better. If you don't see any improvement in a week see a doctor.

If the ansers are impact, or yes I agree that it could be your meniscus and you should see a doctor NOW.

Either way pain in knee == bad. You only get so much cartilage in your knees and if you mess it up too much your knees will plague you for the rest of your life (like me).

Good Luck

:Edit for spelling:

[ This Message was edited by: goopermc on 2002-04-13 09:34 ]

mountainrat

Apr 14, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. This same knee was injured about 6 or 7 years ago on a mtn bike. This time, the pain is much less, but it is the same. I'll get it checked next week if Monday's climbing aggravates it, and post the results here for your information. Thanks again.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook