Premier Sponsor:

wordisborn

Apr 21, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

camping, nonclimbing related
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some friends and i are planning a 5 day camping trip in two weeks. What are your suggestions for the best camping spot within a 5 hour drive of LA.

We are looking for someplace with no crowds, a stream, and good woods or hills to roam through. MOst of our usuall camping grounds (high Sierra) are still snowed in.

Climbing in the area is great but not nessesary. Mostly i just want to relax without alot of people around and maybe fish/climb/hike a bit.

Thank for the suggesitons.
word

wildtrail

Apr 21, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #2 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Re: camping, nonclimbing related [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Somewhere around 6,000 feet up the Whitney Portal road is a campground called Lone Pine Campground (don't quote me, I only stayed there once). On this campground, there is a site with a huge boulder and one of the only trees. Next to this campsite, and down a hill, is Lone Pine Creek. Nearby are the A-hills. Basically, from what I remember, you just head North on 395 until you get into Lone Pine. Take your fourth left and follow that to the second left past Movie Flat Road.

Nice area for hiking and such.

sixter

Apr 22, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #3 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the AAA map of the Eastern Sierras
"Lone Pine 7 miles west of Lone Pine off of Whitney Portal Rd. (8770 444-6777 (NPRS)
Open all Year. $10 Pets El. 6000 37 tent/RV spaces. Piped Water, vault toilets, table. (NF)"

scuclimber

Apr 22, 2004, 8:27 AM
Post #4 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dunno if Mineral King is open yet in Sequoia NP, but I've been there once, years ago, and have been itching to go back ever since.

Colin

wordisborn

Apr 22, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WE hit up Mineral King Last October and it was amazing. I don;t think it is open yet though. It is at 7500 foot and the mining road up to it would be dangerous in snow conditions.
word

scuclimber

Apr 22, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #6 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. That road would be quite exciting with snow on it. :wink:

climbersoze

Apr 22, 2004, 9:59 PM
Post #7 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just spent a couple of days in Red Rock Canyon and it was awesome.... I didn't get to climb... well.. not really climb, but I will tell you this... go. It was awesome.

thegreytradster

Apr 22, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #8 of 8 (337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Southern Sierra. Call the Kernville ranger station for info on what roads are open. It's been a low snow year but some gates aren't unlocked until Memorial day anyway. Taylor Meadow would be a great place for car camping and hiking if the roads open. You can check out Church Dome and drool :lol:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov will get you actual snow levels about anywhere in the state. Seems clear to about 6500 ft in the Kern river drainage.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook