RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

findaway

Apr 17, 2002, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

What to see in B.C.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm taking a trip out to Vancouver in late May/early June, gonna be in town for ten days. I was wondering what climbing gyms you guys use (I'm really interested in The Edge) And where are the prime bouldering areas? Basically what do you reccamend someone like me should check out? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

kevinwaldock

Apr 17, 2002, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

What to see in B.C. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good bolders in sqamish i've heard, lots of trad and even TR, all over.

bcmtngrrrl

Apr 17, 2002, 7:41 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would reccomend the Edge for indoor. There's plenty of bouldering to be done in Squamish, and Trad, and Sport. It's pretty much endless. There's plenty of good guides you can pick up at mtn co-op. I'm always up for being a tour guide, just PM me.
Cheryl

psych

Apr 19, 2002, 1:23 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to go to Coast Mountain Equipment in Metrotown (or whatever it's called now, you can't miss it anyways). They've got a Sportrock wall setup going there and give free belays for anyone trying out shoes!

The cool thing is you can climb to the second level and you're suddenly in the middle of the second floor of the mall surrounded by glass...super fun! Not very difficult routes, but it's great doing that while shopping... :-)
Mike...

paulc

Apr 19, 2002, 1:52 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is great in Squish, Edge has good routes, but they are soft on the grades, so don't get over confident on them. Cliffhanger has decent routes, bit crowded at nights though. The rockhouse and vertical reality are short so I wouldn't go there if I was you. If you go to the island check out Crag X they have a good gym.

Get the Squish guide book, by Kevin Mclane(sp?), get the new one with the yellow section in the back if you are going to shell out for it. Check out some sites linked here for bouldering beta, smellydude is the boulderer around these parts, I don't boulder to much right now. You may want to check for the new bouldering guide, Squamish Rock Guides was putting it together, but not sure what the completion date was supposed to be.

Ermh, got lots of crack in Squish, face in Murrin, overhanging hard stuff up north in Chek or Rouges Gallery (the northern stuff in the Whistler Guide book).

Drop me a PM if you want a tour, but depending on timing and stuff I may or may not be able to help you out. I do know people that know people that know people that have weekdays off so if you are looking to get out then, I may still be able to help out even if I can't make it out.

Go outdoors, much better than indoors and the weather is just starting to work it self out.

Paul

smellydude

Apr 19, 2002, 7:07 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately head up to Squamish for some bouldering. You shouldn't head home with out atleast checking Squamish out. You can catch a Greyhound out of Vancouver to Squamish for around 11 dollars if you needed to. Send me a message if you need anymore info on getting to Squamish or Vancouver. And the bouldering guide from Squamish Rock Guides(Bourdon/Tasaka) will be out in the fall to allow for the new areas to get fully developed this season. The guide from Micheaux is supposed to be out in the Spring I heard.

TTYL Dave

tanner

Apr 28, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sqamish!! out door! so much better than a gym. smoke bluffs and murrin park are fun for craging, light house park has some fun climbs. Also Try Skaha bluffs!!! lota sport climbs for all abilatys. really positive evolved sand stone.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook