RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jakewolf

Apr 29, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

14ers in CO?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently injured my tendons in my hand and can't climb for a while, but I have about three weeks to kill in Colorado. I was hoping to get some recommended 14ers to do. I want to do as many in three weeks as possible. I am headed to the valley this summer and want to be in top shape. Any suggestions such as mountains that are very close together, camping info, books, multiple summit days ect. I am in good shape(running eight miles a day) but I am a flatlander so difficulty info would be great too. Thanks

reno

Apr 29, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Re: 14ers in CO? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

14ers.com

coclimber26

Apr 29, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the website to check out is www.14ers.com this site has everything from routes info to pics...for an easy introduction check out the "presidential peaks" of bross, lincon and democrat which you can easily string together. You may also want to check the front range climbing partners thread located in the mountain states section. I believe they are planning on doing bierstadt this weekend...If the website doesn't have enough info try the 14'ers book by roach...have fun and get well for the valley.

allarounder

Apr 29, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pick up Lou Dawson's books. They're good for routes, maps, and climbing options. Doesn't give grades, but does give you a general idea of difficulty. Not sure what snow conditions are like or when you'll be heading out there. The Sawatch - near Leadville and south has a lot of technically easy peaks, where you can knock off two or three in a day, depending on conditions. Near Denver, Torreys Peak is wonderful via Kelso ridge (3rd cl) and Grays in a bonus, and you can connect Bierstadt and Evans via Sawtooth ridge (3rd cl).

Early season is an interesting time in the rockies. Have fun.

PS, if you are desperate for partners in the Valley, drop me a line. I'm 2 hours away.

klimber_kevin

Apr 29, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This time of the year, it is going to be tough to find a 14er that doesn't require snow travel, as most don't melt out until at best late may/early june. That being said, some less technical peaks include Lincoln, Bross, and Democrat (all can be done together in a day), Quandry. The Collegiates are high, but most are just a hike, like Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc and all are within 10 miles or so from Buena Vista. Good coular (sp?) routes include the cross coular on Mt. of the Holy Cross, the Notch Coular on Longs, and the Dog leg coular on Torreys are excellent.
enjoy

narb

Apr 29, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uncompaghre, Redcloud, Sunshine, and Handies are all pretty close together. If you're motivated you could knock off Redcloud, Sunshine, and Handies in one day. Uncompaghre the next. I think Wetterhorn's nearby too, but I haven't done it.

Belford, Oxford, and Missouri are also all in close proximity to eachother. Do those as part of a collegiates tour.

That being said, I have no idea about the snow conditions. I've only done these in July/August and I'm on the east coast now, so I'm not really paying much attention.

There's also http://www.fourteenerworld.com/. Sometimes people have good info in their trip reports.

Have fun! Be careful!

I'm jealous!

telluryan

Apr 29, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the san miguels around Telluride. there are 3 very near each other w/ some classic ridge traverses. Mt. Wilson, El Diente, Wilson Peak, and Gladstone Peak (classic as well, although high 13'er.) Def worth the trip.

icekubes7

Apr 29, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the traverse from Little Bear to Blanca. Itīs about a mile long really exposed fifth class traverse, I donīt think it gets harder than like 5.2 or something. I donīt know how it would be as far as snow conditions right now, though. Enjoy :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook