Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stupidboulderer

May 21, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

one arm pullup
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can any of you do a 1 arm pullup? Whats a good way to train for it? I can do about 25 pullups now but I am not even close to a one arm.

Partner climbinginchico

May 21, 2004, 6:21 AM
Post #2 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Re: one arm pullup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can.
Here's how i worked up to it- We have an assisted pull up machine in our weight room for intercollegiate athletes. Find how much weight it takes on the assist bar for you to do 10 pullups with 1 arm. Then as you see fit start taking off weight and increasing reps. Don't forget to switch arms. This is also a good way to match arm strength after an injury. I originally did this technique after I broke my left wrist (scaphoid amongst the 14 fractures in there) and could only do stuff with my R arm for a few months. It was a good way to keep strength up, and get my L arm stronger faster than the regular old PT woulda gotten me.
Good luck and stick with it- it takes awhile.

Partner coldclimb

May 21, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #3 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

assisted pull-ups sound interesting... could I do the same thing with a biner on my pullup bar and a rope going from me through it to some weight?

I've never been too into weight machines. It's a ton of money for stuff you can usually do with supplies found around your house. :wink:

biff

May 21, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #4 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some days I can do a one arm pullup. That is 1 one arm pullup.

I don't think that your climbimg ability, depends on your one arm chin up ability. I konw some girls that can kick my ass at climbing, and can barely do a regular chin up.

But if your goal is to do a one arm chinup to impress people, work on doing regular chinups on different holds, ie: a 2 finger pocket with your left, and a big jug with your right. Then try and lift as much weight as you can with your right hand, untill you can do it witout the support of the left hand.

hema

May 21, 2004, 6:39 AM
Post #5 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that I could do one, but here's my 0,02 cents.

Do offset pullups (the main arm almost straight up, and the offset one at about two thirds eight). That training is also good for normal climbing as you often don't have your holds at the height.

When you can do those offset (or assisted) pullups try to do inverted one arm pullups, ie. lock of at the uppermost position and then lower slowly down untill your arm is almost straight. After you havew enough power to do these inverted one arms try to lock of at different positions (elbow at 45, 70, 90, 120 degrees).

After you can do all these things comfortably I think you should be able to do also regular one arm pullups.

Partner climbinginchico

May 21, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #6 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hema has the right idea- those are called eccentric pullups. do a regular pullup with 2 arms, then lower as slowly as you can with only one arm. It's a well known phenomenon that muscles can exert much more force eccentrically then concentrically. However, they are also more prone to injury, so be careful.

cold, theoretically, im sure that would work for ya. sounds interesting. I agree with you on the weight machines, but when you get to use them for free at your university just cuz youre an athlete there, who am I to complain? way to be creative, and if you have any pulleys I'm sure they would cause less drag... just a thought...

wyattearp

May 21, 2004, 8:33 AM
Post #7 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing I can think of, is if you are able to hold a lock off on an outward facing hold, Lock it off for a good 5 seconds, lower yourself very slowlytrying to have the downward time be at least 15 seconds, there you basically did a one arm pull up just backwards, train your lock off and off set pullups, and you can crank a one arm with enough detrmination!

overlord

May 21, 2004, 9:56 AM
Post #8 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also try unsing a towel. hang a tovel (or a rope) over your pullup bar and do pullups with one arm on the bar and the other on hte towel.

when it gets to easy, just lower the arm on the towel for a bit.

jgill

May 21, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #9 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

jgill moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgill moved this thread from Bouldering to Technique & Training.

jason1

May 22, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #10 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

negatives... slowly lower yourself from the top of the chin up position slowly untill you come to just short of full extension... then try to push one hand out away from the body and center your weight over the other and do the same thing... if you need assistance put your feet on a chair or use a bungee cord to a harness or some surgical tubing...
once you can go down really slowly you'll notice you'll start to be able to come back up too... then just start dropping fingers till you get to one arm one finger of your choice...

bandidopeco

May 22, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #11 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the key here is to train for maximum recruitment, which is the percentage of muscle fibers that actually contract when you do a certain exersize. Normally you can get about 60 - 70 %, but with training it can get up to the 90% range, which is why some ppl with smaller muscles are much stronger. you should make it so you can do a maximum of three reps on whatever exersize you're doing (i normally use weighted pullups) and do about 8 sets with 3 to 5 minute rests in between. You shouldn't feel that beat afterwards, but allow about 3 rest days before doing it again. for more info you might want to read the book Performance Rock Climbing by Dale Goddard and Udo Neumann.

dc

May 22, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #12 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

same.. and i do it by holding my wrist with the other hand that isn't doing the pull-up.. it takes some of the weight of the pull-up hand i suppose...

climbingfreak45

May 22, 2004, 2:12 PM
Post #13 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont injure yourself trying to get this down. Strength isnt everything. But as for the topic at hand. Do pull ups with a decent amount of weight (10 - 15 lbs.) then step it up as things get easier. After a while, you should be able to step it up and have 40 extra pounds of weight on you (WARNING: DONT RUSH THIS AT ALL, you could majorly screw up the tendons in your elbows), after all that try it.

roc-dude
Deleted

May 22, 2004, 3:00 PM
Post #14 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One arm pullups (hand facing away from body) no problem.

Start doing weighted pullups. Do sets 3 set of 6-8 reps, two to three times a week. Increase the weight once you can do 3 sets of 6-8 reps at a given weight. Once you can lash about 100 pounds around your waist and do 6 reps you should be able to do 1, one arm pullup.

jason1

May 22, 2004, 3:06 PM
Post #15 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll second that, don't use weight... you can accomplish your goals with body weight...

super recruitment is bad for new climbers... the idea of dropping massive loads on tendons and muscles before you have the larger muscles where you want them, is bad.

for people that want to develop finger strength after the development of the pectois and latissimus and deltoid... do polymetrics.

badass

May 22, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #16 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to these idiots who wrote an entire paragraph about how not to succeed in a one-arm pullup. The hands down best and easiest method is find yourself a piece of webbing or a sling. Pick out your stronger arm and say thats it I am going to do a one arm. Start from a slightly bent arm position and try your hardest. You should be able to at least pull to a half lock off. Wait a few minutes and try again. Repeat this every evening for one week focusing on the stronger arm. If you don't pig out more than usual you'll be able to do it within a week. After you do it on your stronger arm you'll have the confidence to pull on the weaker one.

no_limit

May 22, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #17 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done a single one armed pull up in my entire life, and I thought my arm was going to explode while doing it.

the_antoon

May 22, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #18 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do offset pullups, and other kinds of variations where both arms are not in the same position. This forces you to use one arm more than the other and will eventually lead to a one arm pullup.

Partner rgold

May 22, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #19 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've posted about this a few times; I don't think anyone has ever responded to anything I said... I believe that assisted pullups are the best way to develop single-arm power, and that the best (and also the simplest) type of assistance is provided by latex surgical tubing. It enabled me to build up to seven one-arm pullups on each arm at the peak of my upper-body strength (which was a very long time ago now). The post I can find at the moment is here. Check it out.

wyattearp

May 22, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #20 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

same.. and i do it by holding my wrist with the other hand that isn't doing the pull-up.. it takes some of the weight of the pull-up hand i suppose...

dude that is called an assisted pullup, the whole point of a 1 arm pull up is to use 1 arm, not BOTH! :roll: :roll: :roll:

donie

May 22, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #21 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one arm pull up?

shmo shmarm wull up..........schmull ups.........

theyre the fruitiest thing next to this cheese fest of a cheddary site............................................

:twisted:

wyattearp

May 22, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #22 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
one arm pull up?

theyre the fruitiest thing next to this cheese fest of a cheddary site............................................

uh are you having some kind of medical situatin because you rmabling makes no sense wht the hella re you talkin gabout?

donie

May 22, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #23 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
one arm pull up?

uh are you having some kind of medical situatin because you rmabling makes no sense wht the hella re you talkin gabout?

ok situation rambling what are about

ok.........are u k? kayskie wooksie soooskie..........ok?
spell check......it works home gurl.

overkill

May 22, 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #24 of 42 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha. soooshie. mmmmmmmm.......food. sooper. i'm going to go climbbbing...... :roll:

skiorclimb

May 22, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #25 of 42 (7007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a little off topic, however if you seek to do a one arm pull up for climbings sake I think I know what(besides the advice you already recived, most of it good) you might like to try.

I started doing two arm pull ups with wieght atached to my waist, I can now do 8 with an 85lb dumbel atached to my waist. This still leavs me well short of doing a one arm pull up, But what I am curently working on is doing the pull up part quicker, and the negative very slowly. I am hopeing that this will help with those longer deadpoints, and lock-offs. Deadpoints and lock-offs are far more important in my climbing than doing a one arm pull up would be. In my opinion.

Eventualy this training may lead to me being able to do a one arm pull up. It's not really a goal of mine, but it would be cool if I could do one.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook