RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

styndall

May 22, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Diet and Tendons
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First off, let me say that I've been a vegetarian for longer than I've been climbing.

Not too terribly long into climbing, I hurt a pulley in my anular finger on my left hand. It wasn't unexpected, as I was pushing myself way too hard for someone new to the sport and to athletic activity in general. But the thing is, the pulley has yet to heal all the way. I keep getting mostly back to normal, then something slight will pull it again.

Could this problem be dietary? Might the lack of animal proteins be retarding the healing process?

I don't know much about nutrition or body chemistry, so I'm relying on you guys to help me out.

(Also, mind you that I'm not an unhealthy vegetarian - I'm ~6'1", 135-140 lbs, ~4% body fat, and in pretty decent cardio shape, so I'm not just a weakmo hurling myself at problems that I've no business on and getting hurt that way.)

overlord

May 24, 2004, 11:41 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Re: Diet and Tendons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it could be, but im not that good at tendon stuff. would suggest you eat some meat that has lots of tendons. you know, the one that you really have to chew.

mheyman

May 24, 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not an unhealthy vegetarian - I'm ~6'1", 135-140 lbs

Can't tell if you are healthy or not over the net, but you are just skin and bones.

mheyman

May 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not an unhealthy vegetarian - I'm ~6'1", 135-140 lbs

Can't tell if you are healthy or not over the net, but you are just skin and bones.

Seriously: tendons take a long time to heal. Be sure to stay off it till it is really better. See a doctor. I ruptured a pulley once. Put me out of climbing for 3 months. The good thing is that I was not a new climber and I learned a lot about avoiding hand injury from it. Since then I have generally tape at gyms. Most importantly I am better at knowing when enough is enough physically.

Last tendons take a long time to gain strength. It is important to realize if you are a new climber, that everything you do wrong in climbing technique makes you feel as if you just need to be stronger. Practice technique. You will gain the strength you need while learning how not to “need” so much.

lostcause

May 24, 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is my understanding that vegetarians take a lot longer to heal from injuries due to their low protein consumption. I had a friend (a vegetarian) who was a great athlete but always injured and the docs told him it was because he didn't get enough protein.

I'd suggest looking for other ways to get as much protein in your diet as possible. I don't know if it works the same as animal proteins, but maybe try supplements, peanut butter, beans....also get a little more meat on your bones. 6'1" and 140 lbs sounds mighty frail in itself.

gblauer

May 24, 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been a vegetarian for 35 years...I don't have any trouble healing. I also screwed up some tendons in my hands. This is what you do:

1) Take 4000 mgs of MSM daily
2) Ice your hands/injury after climbing (frozen veggies work well and reusable)
3) Tape your fingers while healing (during climbing)
4) Climb easy, juggy stuff. Stay out of pockets and off crimpers. Do this until your finger heals.
I
f really acute, climb one handed until you feel better. You wouldn't believe what this does for your technique!

BTW, I kept re-injuring the same tendon because I did not follow my own advice. Once I did lay off it for a while, it healed rapidly.

Hope you heal soon.

milkman

May 24, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you would like to continue being a vegetarian and speed up the healing process, you can.

Vegetarians do not need to bbe deficient in proteins. Good sources are nuts!, tofu, beans (great if you like hummus - chickpeas). Getting a higher amount of protein into your diet will help muscle to build up which in turn will provide better support for your tendons.

Being vegetarian does not mean that you have to be deficient just as eating meat doesn't mean you are healthy either.

And rest always helps tendons.

MC

jt512

May 24, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(Also, mind you that I'm not an unhealthy vegetarian - I'm ~6'1", 135-140 lbs, ~4% body fat, and in pretty decent cardio shape, so I'm not just a weakmo hurling myself at problems that I've no business on and getting hurt that way.)

You could be bordering on protein-calorie malnutrition. Have you asked a doctor?

-Jay

sharpend

May 25, 2004, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard that Ice burge lettuse is good for tendons

styndall

May 25, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You could be bordering on protein-calorie malnutrition. Have you asked a doctor?

-Jay

Yeah - I'm set pretty straight with my diet. Checks out with the nutritionist, and I make sure to get enough protein. The low body weight is a family thing - we've got small bones. My brother is my height and approximately my weight, as was my father until he went on a body building binge and got up to about 165.

jt512

May 25, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First off, let me say that I've been a vegetarian for longer than I've been climbing.

Not too terribly long into climbing, I hurt a pulley in my anular finger on my left hand. It wasn't unexpected, as I was pushing myself way too hard for someone new to the sport and to athletic activity in general. But the thing is, the pulley has yet to heal all the way. I keep getting mostly back to normal, then something slight will pull it again.

Could this problem be dietary? Might the lack of animal proteins be retarding the healing process?

There is nothing particularly special about animal protein. The mix of amino acids you get from a typical varied vegetarian diet is similar to that from an omnivore diet. However, vegetarian diets tend to be lower in total protein than omnivore diets. You might, therefore, consider taking a protein supplement daily.

The recurrence of you injury might be due to the fact that you simply haven't given it sufficient time to heal before climbing again, too.

-Jay

ironhawk

May 25, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a good read about proteins brother.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein.html

I prefer a good medium rare new york strip in a pepper garlic sauce instead lentils myself but to each there own.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook