Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

nostyleclmbr

May 26, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #1 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

gri-gri users beware!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last week I decked. I got dropped thirty feet to the ground by an experienced partner who was using a gri-gri. I took a small fall next to a bolt and my belayer never caught the fall. The pain was ridiclous and I was lucky not to have broken anything but the fall left me with alot of questions that were largely unanswered by my partner. Although I know the gri-gri was loaded correctly he says it never engaged and that the rope just burnt through his hands. I think he might have been pinching the gri-gri preventing it from locking off or something but can't be sure as to what exactly happened which is aggrevating. I quess the lesson I learned is that shit happens even when you're cautious. I always thought the trad and ice climbing I do was sketchier but it was a sport climb at my favorite cragg that messed me up. So I quess my message is beware when using a gri-gri as safe as they can be people mess up. I've searched the forums for gri-gri info but anything pertinent advice would be appreciated because the worst part of the fall is not knowing why.

alpnclmbr1

May 26, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #2 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Re: gri-gri users beware! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Given a sense that your belayer does not have a rope burned hand. The answer is obviously that your belayer was not holding onto the rope with his brakehand.

Your "experienced" belayer is anything but given his response.

ihuang

May 26, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #3 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did your belayer thread the rope through properly?

curt

May 26, 2004, 1:02 AM
Post #4 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason you fell is because your belayer doesn't know how to belay. That's all there is to it--simple, eh?

Curt

nostyleclmbr

May 26, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #5 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry I should haven included these details; the belayer was holding the rope with his break hand according to my friend who was sitting next to him and we did thread the gri-gri correctly. The rope was a newer 10.2 mm and the gri-gri is about a year old.

rock_raptor

May 26, 2004, 1:11 AM
Post #6 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he held the cam...user error

bsignorelli

May 26, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #7 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sorry I should haven included these details; the belayer was holding the rope with his break hand according to my friend who was sitting next to him

If he was actually holding the rope (as opposed to just letting it run through his hand) then the gri-gri should still stop a fall even without the cam because it would function like any tube style belay device.

Bryn

johnnord

May 26, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #8 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You didn't pay attention to what alpnclbmr1 said. There was no burnt hand. If your belayer were paying attention, he would have caught the fall. One of the problems with the GriGri is that it lulls the belayer into a potentially fatal sense of security. "I don't need to really belay; the device will do the work."

bigdrop

May 26, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #9 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Belayer’s error.
Plain and simple.
Even if the gri-gri doesn’t cam, a competent belayer should be able to catch a fall with minimal effort by bending the rope over the brake plate.

~jca

alpnclmbr1

May 26, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #10 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your belayer was holding the rope when it failed to lock up he would have a rope burn. Or you can look at it as if the grigri would have locked up if the belayer had been holding the rope.

It is amazing how many otherwise reasonable people believe in the tooth fairy when it comes to belayer failures.

curt

May 26, 2004, 1:21 AM
Post #11 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sorry I should haven included these details; the belayer was holding the rope with his break hand according to my friend who was sitting next to him and we did thread the gri-gri correctly. The rope was a newer 10.2 mm and the gri-gri is about a year old.

If it was a relatively slow fall, the cam of the Gri-gri may not have engaged. None-the-less, any belayer who knows what he is doing will still be able to easily catch a fall in this scenario--by simply treating the Gri-gri like any passive belay device. Pilot error 100%.

Curt

vegastradguy

May 26, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #12 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

last time i checked, an 'experienced' partner wouldnt have taken his brake hand off the rope. :roll:

nostyleclmbr

May 26, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #13 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya'll are right it was the belayer's error he probably froze with the deer in head lights look when I fell, afterwards he was a bumbling mess trying to figure out what happened my favorite quote from him was, "maybe some dirt got in the gri-gri messing it up"hahahahah right! I just thought that the force of a fall would have caused the gri-gri to engage regardless of where the idiots hands were. It's just sucks when a good friend and climbing partner for three years drops your ass and the trusty gri-gri doesn't save the day.

fredrogers

May 26, 2004, 2:20 AM
Post #14 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some gri-gri style post like this occurs about once a month. The reason you decked was because your belayer does not fully understand how to use his belay device. Would you ever have titled the post "ATC users beware!!" No, I don't think so.

epic_ed

May 26, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #15 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from General to Injuries & Accidents.

epic_ed

May 26, 2004, 2:23 AM
Post #16 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Instread of blaming the equipment, how 'bout if you change the title of the thread to reflect what really happened. Gri gri's do fail -- but that doesn't appear to be the case in this incident.

Ed

dredsovrn

May 26, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #17 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is hard to imagine that someone couldn't hold a fall with a gri gri even if the cam did fail. I have used a gri gri, but don't like them. They work fine, but since I need to break anyway (just in case) why not use an ATC or Reverso (or other tube device) and take the guesswork and weight out of it. People say that its nice if your partner is going to hang a lot, but I break anyway then, so what good does it do me? F the gri gri. Sorry, maybe I am out of line. Oh yeah, don't let that a hole belay you anymore.

deleted
Deleted

May 26, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #18 of 101 (12626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bad belay devices don't kill people ...

bad [i:4771b8456e]belayers[/i:4771b8456e] kill people.

pcfcclmbr

May 26, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #19 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're mistaken, it was threaded backwards!

gumbyinahumvee

May 26, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #20 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

\\Belayer’s error.
Plain and simple.
Even if the gri-gri doesn’t cam, a competent belayer should be able to catch a fall with minimal effort by bending the rope over the brake plate.

~jca

Actually, you are mistaken. You use the lever to hold the cam open to lower or rapel with the grigri. if you just hold the cam open all the way and try to rely on the friction of the "brake plate" then you or the person you are lowering will hit the ground. Dont believe me? then why dont you go to a gym and lower someone with the cam held completely open, by what you said you should be able to lower them slowly with "minimal effort." I assure you they will hit the ground,... very fast,..... and your above hypothesis will be very wrong. Please go try this before you post another dangerous reply.

When rapping or lowering most people let up on the handle of the grigri when they are going to fast. This is because a grigri provides minimal friction when the cam is not engaged.

vegastradguy posted
last time i checked, an 'experienced' partner wouldnt have taken his brake hand off the rope.

last time I checked using a grigri for lead belaying always requires one to take his/her brakehand off the rope. Grigris are not dangerous, Stupid MF's who don't properly use them are.

vegastradguy

May 26, 2004, 2:49 AM
Post #21 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've actually lowered off a person w/ a grigri's cam disengaged to see what it was like. while more difficult than using an ATC, its not impossible, and the climber didnt hit the ground 'very fast'.

regardless, a competent belayer still should have had his hand on the brake line and been able to stop the fall.

gumbyinahumvee

May 26, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #22 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

every time you lower someone with a grigri the cam is disengaged. You disengage the cam everytime you lower, so what you experienced is what every retard with a grigri has ever experienced!!! We are talking about complete grigri failure when the cam is COMPLETELY DISENGAGED. Go try lowering someone with the black lever completely pulled back. they will hit the ground "very fast" . Or just don't worry about any of this rhetoric and stick to your atc.

curt

May 26, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #23 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
every time you lower someone with a grigri the cam is disengaged. You disengage the cam everytime you lower, so what you experienced is what every retard with a grigri has ever experienced!!! We are talking about complete grigri failure when the cam is COMPLETELY DISENGAGED. Go try lowering someone with the black lever completely pulled back. they will hit the ground "very fast" . Or just don't worry about any of this rhetoric and stick to your atc.

You could weld the cam fully open on a Gri-gri and I could belay somebody perfectly safely with it. As has been mentioned before, this merely turns the Gri-gri (in essence) into a tube belay device like an ATC.

Curt

kcrag

May 26, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #24 of 101 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i took an unnecessary 10'+ fall recently on a sport climb (i was only 1/2 a move above the bolt) because of a gri-gri. my belayer has over 20 years of climbing experience AND got a rope burn during the arrest. i fell long enough to think, 'hey, am i going to stop falling'?

two things in my case:

-thin rope (9.something mm, i think it's on the low end of what is acceptable for a grigri)

-my belayer has been using a grigri for years now and his instict to arrest the fall as you would with an ATC probably didn't kick in quickly (hence the ropeburn).

has anyone used the cinch belay device by trango, which accepts 9-11mm ropes?

-kelly.

and no, it wasn't bobd! :)

deleted
Deleted

May 26, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #25 of 101 (12626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

people, the simple fact is that this crop of so-called "auto-locking" belay devices has spawned a lazy breed of belayer; a belayer who allows himself to be lulled into the mindset that all that is required of him is to act as balast; that the whiz-bang device will do all the thinking for him.

with the possible exception of a massive stroke, or perhaps rupturing a major vessel coming out of your heart, there is [i:5fddd57d68]no[/i:5fddd57d68] excuse for dropping your leader.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook